Photo

Churches in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#41 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:04 AM

The B.C. Supreme Court is being asked to decide which of two groups legally represents the Victoria Truth Centre.

At stake is the future of the church, founded in 1898, and its 1.76-acre piece of prime property at 1201 Fort St. The church has been on that site since 1949.

Each group has its own elected board of directors.

One board was elected at an annual general meeting Feb. 28. It considers the other board invalid. The second board was elected March 6 and confirmed at an emergency meeting on Aug. 7.

The March group is planning an Aug. 28 meeting to discuss membership. It maintains some long-term church supporters are not allowed to belong to the centre.

[...]

The late Emma Smiley was the centre’s minister beginning in 1940. Smiley advocated tranquility, happiness and positivity in thought.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.CUtoX1xO.dpuf

Irony police have been alerted.

• Nparker and Jill like this

#42 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

Saanich church ready for its close up

West Village Church moves into University Heights movie theatre

WOLF DEPNER Mon Apr 3rd, 2017 9:00am

...the foyer of Landmark Cinemas 4 has sprung alive as 30-somethings, some with children, walk down the stairs leading into the theatre. Once inside, they stand or sit on plastic chairs, coffee in hand, and share stories. Movable posters featuring the characters of Denzel Washington and Viola Davis in Fences silently stand watch. The atmosphere appears as relaxed as the appearance of the gatherers. But they haven’t come to catch some rare cinematic offering showing outside traditional movie hours. They have come to worship at West Village Church, Theatre 3

#43 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,778 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 05:03 AM

A Langford Catholic church is bucking the trend of shrinking congregations with growth so strong they are in the process of constructing and moving to a new building three times larger than their current church and community hall.

Our Lady of the Rosary Parish has been in its current Goldstream Avenue location for nearly 70 years, but Father Dean Henderson said it has been known for at least 25 of those years a larger space was needed.

“The church is really full at 225 people or so. Pre-COVID, we would occasionally get masses of 350 people – just packed in there like sardines,” said Henderson of the current location. “The move is being driven by growth. By lots of young families, by lots of kids, by general need for space for worship.”

https://www.vicnews....tinues-to-grow/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 May 2022 - 05:03 AM.

#44 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 05:52 AM

..... by general need for space for worship.”

Worship what?

The old man with the white beard who lives in the sky?

What a ridiculous waste of buildable land, money,  and time in 2022.

• sebberry, Matt R. and sdwright.vic like this

#45 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,778 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 06:02 AM

I’m hoping that the moderators would consider cutting off anyone unqualified to give religious advice on this thread.
  • phx, Matt R. and max.bravo like this

#46 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 06:35 AM

^ My mother used to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.....even if it is wrong.

#47 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 06:37 AM

I’m hoping that the moderators would consider cutting off anyone unqualified to give religious advice on this thread.

Oh ... didn't you understand that my post was "my opinion", which (according to you) I'm more than qualified to post freely here on V.V.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 07:35 AM

Now that the old white men living on an island have got that out of the way…

Where is the new church going to be located?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,778 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 07:39 AM

A seven-acre property on Irwin Road has been secured and designs for the new building are being finalized. The new building will feature a 350-person capacity community hall attached to a 600-person church sanctuary which can be stretched as large as 750 people when needed.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 07:49 AM

Oh wow, so in the Westhills then.

The parish has sold its Goldstream holdings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 May 2022 - 02:07 PM

Worship what?

The old man with the white beard who lives in the sky?

What a ridiculous waste of buildable land, money,  and time in 2022.

The old man who lives in the sky who I worship is George Carlin, and I think he has a thought or two on religion.  

I kid you not - our strata president admitted at one of our general meetings that she's a believer in god and god will guide her.  If only she listened to the professionals instead it would have cost me a lot less money. Maybe god can share his collection dish with us?

• Spy Black likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#52 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 02:11 PM

I'm always a bit puzzled that God doesn't want his most ardent admirers closer to him.
  • sebberry and Spy Black like this

#53 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,778 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 02:12 PM

So many unbelievers in this thread.

May God (capital G) spare your souls.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 May 2022 - 02:12 PM.

#54 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 May 2022 - 02:12 PM

Well, we can't only allow those unqualified to give medical advice on the forums...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#55 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 02:30 PM

1 Cor 1:18 (KJV) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#56 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 02:52 PM

bald, vegan, atheists driving electric cars - you all will be!

#57 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 02:57 PM

Titus 3:1 (International Standard Version)

Remind believers to submit to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, and to be ready to do any honorable kind of work.

#58 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 05:35 AM

1 Cor 1:18 (KJV) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

May God (capital G) spare your souls.

The bible-thumping anti-vaxers telling folks how they have to live their lives.

Typical, and hardly a surprise.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 10:45 AM

Holy Christ you guys. Grow up. All of you.

Know it all.

#60 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,778 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 08:48 AM

Newly elected Saanich councillor Teale Phelps Bondaroff already has ambitious plans for Saanich to make an impact at the provincial level. He plans to introduce four motions at next fall’s Union of BC Municipalities meeting, ranging from the “milquetoast” to the “transformative,” as he describes them.

He’s also hoping to change the nature of municipal tax exemptions for places of worship. Currently, some of the property is automatically exempt from municipal taxes, but Phelps Bondaroff, who is a prominent member of the secularist BC Humanist Association, would like municipalities to discern whether religious organizations are providing a benefit to the community (such as a warming shelter or a soup kitchen) or are acting as private clubs with benefits only for their own members.

Using that information, municipalities could make decisions on whether to grant tax exemptions.

https://www.capitald...rovincial-stage

“To me it’s all about responsible use of tax money,” he said.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

phx