Local TV vs. Cable/Satellite Co.s

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:06 AM

CRTC will announce its decisions next week. Part of it is expected to be a guidleine for how sat co.s, cable companies and broadcasters can work out their dollar disagreements. Last time I looked, old-fashioned business discussions did that just fine. I don't know why the CRTC has to get into this.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:45 AM

Ruling coming today at 1pm. Looks like broadcasters will not be getting what they want. It's going to be some kind of forced-negotiation. Stupid.

#23 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

I'm guessing ordering the cable co's to cough up CableCARDs is out of the question now...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

Ruling coming today at 1pm. Looks like broadcasters will not be getting what they want. It's going to be some kind of forced-negotiation. Stupid.

OK, I was wrong. Broadcasters might get what they want. But cable companies say they will pass on carriage fees, and they may even black out channles if they can't strike a deal. Maybe this is all moot anyway. I'm sure that within 3 or 5 years we'll have pay-per-view access to any TV show we want over the net. Why do we need to wait until 10pm on Tuesday to watch CSI if we want to pay 49 cents to watch it Sunday afternoon? I watched every Entourage and Curb Y. E. episode on my computer in the last 6 months. Every season. It's all good.

#25 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

Only one loser in this kerfuffle and its us. We're gonna pay, they just divvy it up.:mad:

#26 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

OK, I was wrong. Broadcasters might get what they want. But cable companies say they will pass on carriage fees, and they may even black out channles if they can't strike a deal. Maybe this is all moot anyway. I'm sure that within 3 or 5 years we'll have pay-per-view access to any TV show we want over the net. Why do we need to wait until 10pm on Tuesday to watch CSI if we want to pay 49 cents to watch it Sunday afternoon? I watched every Entourage and Curb Y. E. episode on my computer in the last 6 months. Every season. It's all good.

I can see this as being bad news for markets with more than a single station. Why would Bell or Shaw want to pay to carry both A channel and Chek as an example? Sometimes you need to be careful what you ask for and this ruling could really backfire on the content providers. They wanted the fees but I don't think they wanted the operators to be able to dictate what they are buying and where it goes.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

One thing the broadcasters have going for them is their rights to buy US shows and show them exclusively to Canadians. If Shaw customers demand Dancing with the Stars, the cable companies can only buy it from for example CTV, if CTV has the Canadian rights. But maybe that is no different than the US model. If Comcast cumtomers want DwtS, Comcast can only buy it from ABC.

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

Do you talk to your TV?

When you're relaxing in front of the TV with your loved ones, it may sometimes seem like a good time to open up

and get some private thoughts off your chest.

But if you have a Samsung SmartTV, you may be opening up to more people than you intend.

The issue arises if you have the TV's voice recognition feature turned on to allow you to control the TV with voice commands.

In an updated Global Privacy Policy, Samsung explains that some voice commands may be transmitted, along with information such as

the identity of your device, to a third-party service that converts speech to text in order to provide the voice recognition feature.

"Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured

and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition," the company said in the SmartTV supplement of its privacy policy.

Samsung itself may also capture voice commands, including the versions converted to text, the company said.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...2950207?cmp=rss

#29 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:18 AM

Standard operation for most devices that lack the on-board capability to process the speech. 

The amount of data given away without knowing it these days is staggering. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:43 AM

http://www.theglobea...rticle25487893/

CraveTV to be offered to any Canadian with an Internet connection

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users