Thai Food

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:19 AM

I guess we don't have a Thai thread, so post your favourite Thai restaurant or store with a good selection of Thai ingredients for cooking.

This week, Pam Grant's TC column reviewed Baan Thai's new location in Oak Bay. She gave it three stars--the food was excellent but the service on several occasions ranged from good to "our waitress without a doubt was the rudest person I have ever met in that job." The comments section of the review is interesting as it splits opinion into two camps--those who think the service is good and that Grant is exaggerating and those who agree that the service is downright rude.

Like a lot of ethnic food, Thai can get expensive once you start ordering multiple dishes so good value is important, and good value to me means respectful service, even when the restaurant is busy. I've had great service at Pagliacci's and John's Place when it's packed to the rafters so there's no excuses, and there are a lot of Thai options so they have no monopoly.

The problem is, I can never remember the names. I have to say "that little Thai restaurant that used to be a fish and chips place on Cook near Fort" and "the one at the foot of Fort that's been there for years" and "the one on Blanshard near View" etc. etc.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:41 AM

King and Thai hands down

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

^That's the little place in the Cook St. Village. Never eaten there.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#4 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

We prefer the one in Sidney to anything here in the city. Had an excellent dinner with friends a month ago. The laab gai was real good.

#5 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

^That's the little place in the Cook St. Village. Never eaten there.

I have, it's very good - isn't that the King & Thai in there? Problem is that entire food court isn't wired for Interac, so I end up taking a pass on it more often than not.

I'm a big fan of Little Thai Place on Cook @ Caledonia. Living in CSL, I can phone in my order and by the time I jump in the car to go grab it, it's ready. They also deliver. Varied menu and excellent spring rolls.

Anyone tried My Thai next to the big Bubby' Roses?

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:48 AM

I'm a big fan of Little Thai Place on Cook @ Caledonia.

I believe they also have an outlet in the Reflections building in Langford.

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

King and Thai can be so hit and miss.

My favourite is My Thai on cook next to Bubby's 2. The food is always a little extra special than others and it has a very home cooked meal taste to it.

#8 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:38 AM

Zap Thai in Esquimalt is always full and I like it for take out. My Thai on Cook Street used to very good - they used to serve huge portions too (can't speak from rcent experience though).

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:34 AM

My Thai was good when it opened but I find that they have gone down hill.

#10 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:48 PM

I agree with G-Man: My Thai (on Cook, at Meares near Fort) has seen better days. Baan Thai on Blanshard is good. Daughter likes the King Thai (food court in CSV), but I haven't tried it - food looks kind of thrown together, though...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

You need to try My Thai again.

Honestly. King and Thai is fine, but the food can be bland and underwhelming. It's got nothing on My Thai.

I frequent both on a regular basis.

#12 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

I'd go for any of My Thai (location, friendly feel), King and Thai (excellent value), Baan Thai downtown (haven't tried Oak Bay, food is excellent), Sookjai Thai (a bit higher end). Planet Thai is interesting. Kind of like being in Fawlty Towers - excellent food, owner means well, but is kind of a comedy show on the service side...

#13 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:26 AM

My new job is very close to the Oak Bay Baan Thai location; it seems to be the office's default lunch choice.

I've eaten there four times now, always at the busy lunch hour. I've never noticed rude service and enjoyed the food a lot.

The bathroom is really nice, too. :)

#14 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

Always enjoy Siam on Fort by the Keg.

I love the Tom kha gai soup.

Its best with four people though, because as mentioned the portions of an individual dish are large and expensive if you want variety for just one person, even two.

#15 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:55 PM

Always enjoy Siam on Fort by the Keg.

I second this. The food is delicious and is at a great price.

#16 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

Amusing but true story; coming home from Whistler yesterday on the BC Ferry we went to the Pacific Buffet. In recent years BCF has made an effort to improve their food offerings and the buffet is a good example IMO.

Yesterday there was an emphasis on Asian options, including Thai spring rolls and red chili sauce. Table next to ours was occupied by - naturally - a family visiting from Thailand. The father asked one of the servers if the chef was from Thailand since the chili sauce particularly was "the most authentic I've tasted since I've been in BC..." Too funny.

#17 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:11 PM

Amusing but true story; coming home from Whistler yesterday on the BC Ferry we went to the Pacific Buffet. In recent years BCF has made an effort to improve their food offerings and the buffet is a good example IMO.

Yesterday there was an emphasis on Asian options, including Thai spring rolls and red chili sauce. Table next to ours was occupied by - naturally - a family visiting from Thailand. The father asked one of the servers if the chef was from Thailand since the chili sauce particularly was "the most authentic I've tasted since I've been in BC..." Too funny.

No reason BC Ferries can't buy the same red goop, er sauce we all buy.
Its made in Sriracha on the industrial side of the Gulf of Thailand.

#18 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

Surely they have labourers sweating over pots of chilies, making it from scratch somewhere in the bowels of the ship. ;)

#19 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:12 AM

Went to Baan Thai in Oak Bay just after they were slammed for being rude in the TC. The rude woman was reborn! Free juice for kids, made conversation, compliments, huge smiles, offered us a quieter table half-way through the meal, etc etc. And the food, as always, was delicious.

#20 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

Surely they have labourers sweating over pots of chilies, making it from scratch somewhere in the bowels of the ship. ;)

Hopefully they are Transport Canada certified.
Mixing up pots of red sauce must be worth at least as much per hour as people who give change for candy bars (after the till has told them how many nickels and dimes to count out). :P

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users