Photo

Lully's Sandwich Bar | Victoria | 700-block of Broughton St. | Closed in 2011

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:21 PM

This might be a bit off topic, but I remember a single serving of "corned beef" in a plastic envelope that would be placed in a pot of boiling water bag and all. I have not seen this product for a long time. It probably was a health risk. Has anyone seen this lately?

I've got one in my freezer right now, although it will make more than a single serving when I decide to boil it up and make reubens! I bought it on sale at Thrifty's, so you could look there....

#22 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

Thanks Kik was it frozen when you bought it? What department?

#23 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:56 AM

^
It was either in with the hams, or in with the beef, I don't recall exactly. Mmmm, now I'm going to buy some sauerkraut and Swiss. Edit: No, it wasn't frozen. It's Maple Leaf brand. Corned beef brisket. "Boil in Bag"

Just to keep this on-topic, does Lully's offer reubens?

#24 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:24 PM

[quote name='yodsaker'][quote name='LJ']

An inch high in Montreal and they would be out of business in 2 days.
Got to be two and a half at least!
Impossible to do a Schwartz's franchise. To replicate it you'd have to be in business since 1912.[/quote]

Don't want to replicate - just emulate.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#25 alex9

alex9
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:52 PM

Google “Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich Victoria BC” and found Broughton Street Deli. Apparently they specialize in the Montreal smoked meat sandwich. It has some good reviews...... Has anyone eaten there???

#26 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:38 PM

Google “Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich Victoria BC” and found Broughton Street Deli. Apparently they specialize in the Montreal smoked meat sandwich. It has some good reviews...... Has anyone eaten there???

I have. Purists like myself will immediatly tell you that it's not Schwartz's and therefore isn't really smoked meat. But that aside, it's a good sandwich tgatcomes in two sizes, both of which sound like they are larger than Lully's. Great soups and cookies, too.

#27 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

A little off topic, doesn't Costco offer a montreal smoke meat sandwich in their restaurant using Dunn's Restaurant meat from Montreal?

...and nothing beats a side of poutine from Chez Ashton

#28 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

A little off topic, doesn't Costco offer a montreal smoke meat sandwich in their restaurant using Dunn's Restaurant meat from Montreal?

...and nothing beats a side of poutine from Chez Ashton

Don't know where Costco gets it but everyone wants to call it "montreal smoked meat" so I think it really refers to a style. Seems necessary these days to attach a place name to things and create a "pedigree".
Dunn's was ok IMO, not the best but in business since 1927 so they must know something! The chief virtue was the massive size of the sandwich and of course being right on Ste. Catherine.
Happy fressing!

#29 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

I went for lunch there today. $9.98 for a montreal smoke meat sandwich after tax with no drink. It felt like I was in a cafeteria since half the place was the kitchen. The sandwich didn't even come on a plate, just wrapped in paper.

In my opinion, a $5 sandwich that you can get anywhere and I won't be returning.

#30 masiyou

masiyou
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

They make a delicious, thick sandwich and they're open ealier than Lully's, for those of us hobbits who need second breakfast.

#31 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

I went for lunch there today. $9.98 for a montreal smoke meat sandwich after tax with no drink. It felt like I was in a cafeteria since half the place was the kitchen. The sandwich didn't even come on a plate, just wrapped in paper.

In my opinion, a $5 sandwich that you can get anywhere and I won't be returning.

I agree. Went there two days ago. Couldn't believe what I got for what I paid for. I'm willing to pay ten bucks for a sandwich, but it has to be fantastic - and it has to keep me going until dinner.
It was small and came with quarter slice of pickle and a tiny plastic cup of slaw. Big deal.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

Mike K. and I went there yesterday. I like the look of the place. Maybe it was a bit pricey for what we got. Topped out over $10 for a sandwich and pop. I had some type of chicken sandwich, it was good. It did come on a plate.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#33 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

^ For those of us that are addicted to Montreal Smoked Meat, this is the place to get your fix. It does come wrapped in paper though, but some that I know think this is traditional.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

^ For those of us that are addicted to Montreal Smoked Meat, this is the place to get your fix. It does come wrapped in paper though, but some that I know think this is traditional.

There was no paper wrapping ours, they were delivered to us outside, on plates. I think we both had chicken though.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#35 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

^ Maybe there are rules about how food is served on the city sidewalk? I will ask him the next time I am going through withdrawals.

#36 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

^ It did not take me long to cave. Had to go back today. In diameter, the smoke meat sandwiches appear small, but they are almost as thick. I am still full.

The plate verses paper wrap thing has nothing to do with rules. If you sit at the tables outside, they assume you will be staying, so you will probably will get a plate. If you order inside sometimes they ask if it is to go, and sometimes not.

Clear now.....right?

#37 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

Last week I noticed Lully's (Montreal smoked meat sandwiches, bottled Coke and Liverpool FC on Broughton) had butcher paper all over the windows, no explanation. Today it says "renovations, be back soon" (or words to that effect). I heard the boss was having some issues with the bank over debit card terminals and the like. I have a funny feeling there may be more going on here than renos. Anybody know the score?

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:38 AM

One of our Twitter followers says that Lully's now has a food cart in Vancouver and that the Victoria location is believed to be closed.

So the sandwich cart is the real deal but it remains to be seen what happens on Broughton Street. I do know that Lully's did not have a merchant terminal for a very long time and that must have impacted their bottom line. Who knows what rate they were offered on the actual terminal from the bank -- perhaps one too high to make the operation worthwhile? And the space in that building, although small, must have cost at least a couple thousand in rent every month.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:46 AM

^ It was only a short while ago that he was boasting about installing a deep fat fryer and staying open late to catch the drink crowd. ????

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:49 AM

Right. I remember that.

Perhaps the relative benefits of a food cart in Vancouver outweighed the hassle of a brick and mortar operation in Victoria?

But that being said, maybe the place really is just closed for renos.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users