Photo

Cook Street Village

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#1 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

I think it's high time this thread was born. There seems to be a lot of spin-off conversation in specific Cook St. development threads.

I was thinking maybe as a good way to start off, the mods could move the parkade discussion from the food court thread over to here?

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:45 PM

Spa Sirona is going into the former Essencia Verde sales office, next to Bubby Roses.

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:58 PM

5 of the oldest and largest chestnut trees in the village are to be cut down and replaced as a result of disease.

Removal will begin January 18th.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:52 PM

^Too bad. Will they plant more chestnuts or alternate with another species to reduce the risk of future disease spread?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

New chestnuts. If you've been to the village lately you will notice a new one in front of Starbucks. The new ones will be the same size.
I believe the ones being cut down were victim of some sort of fungus that only strikes the very old ones. A study was done ten years ago and established that these five needed to go 10 years into the future. So here we are.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

All five trees are coming down today ALL AT THE SAME TIME! It's complete chaos in village today. Cranes, wood chippers, cherry pickers all working on a respective tree while the same happens to the other trees. Cook St is only one lane. Every tree removal company must be there right now. It's truly bizarre that they're doing it this way when they could be removed one at a time. I suppose they figured the public would be up in arms once the first one was gone and wouldn't see protests for the next tree on the list.

The one I will miss the most is the massive one in front of Moka House. My daughter loves/d to climb the base of that tree while I sipped on a coffee. She'll be heartbroken when she sees that it's gone.

#7 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

All five trees are coming down today ALL AT THE SAME TIME! It's complete chaos in village today. Cranes, wood chippers, cherry pickers all working on a respective tree while the same happens to the other trees. Cook St is only one lane. Every tree removal company must be there right now. It's truly bizarre that they're doing it this way when they could be removed one at a time. I suppose they figured the public would be up in arms once the first one was gone and wouldn't see protests for the next tree on the list.

The one I will miss the most is the massive one in front of Moka House. My daughter loves/d to climb the base of that tree while I sipped on a coffee. She'll be heartbroken when she sees that it's gone.

Interesting that they are doing it all at once, maybe there was a fear of protests? This happened at UBC back in the 1990s when the trees on the entrance boulevard had to come down.

I wish the city had chosen to plant Doug Fir or Garry Oaks as replacements. Both of them live much, much longer and both them are the natural species for the location. Doug firs also have the advantage that they are green all year round.

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

^There is a strange man walking around with a larger sign saying "Chainsaws are the bugs". I think a man from the press was taking his picture when I walked by an hour ago.
Funny thing is, it's not bugs causing the decay, it's a fungus.

It's amazing what a change it has made losing those five trees. It's a bit sad actually.

When I was there, there was was only one lane of traffic for both vehicles and pedestrians in one section. A bit nuts.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

Crazy how they had to rip them down all at once. The new reality I guess.

You'd think they could just wreck all them first, multiple chain-saw cuts and slashes into them to make sure they could not live, then remove one at a time.

#10 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

It is a shame this view will be gone, but some thought should have been given to planting longer lived trees or planning on going replacement

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

OK, how do I embed streetview in VV?

While I am at it, how to do I upload pics?

#12 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

more at
http://treewatchvictoria.blogspot.com/

#13 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

OK, how do I embed streetview in VV?

While I am at it, how to do I upload pics?

Tinypic is the easiest upload.

http://tinypic.com/

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

Bernard as far as I know you have to printscreen images from streetview.

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:03 PM

^I know you can embed Street View into a blog. It's pretty cool. Bernard does it.

---

They showed that guy on /A\ News busting through the danger tape and being pushed back by the tree fellers.

I'm no arborist so I'm not going to second guess the decision to fell the trees. I suppose you could hold off until the trees are positively dead but that just delays the inevitable. The disease would probably be more likely to spread, too. Look at is this way: the sooner they are replaced, the sooner we'll see large trees there again.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

^I know you can embed Street View into a blog. It's pretty cool. Bernard does it.

Blogger is owned by google, so that might be why it's so simple to do there.

#17 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

In most forums I can use html codes (which I am not good at) to put stuff into posts. I can not manage to get anything here other than making links.....

#18 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

I wish the city had chosen to plant Doug Fir or Garry Oaks as replacements. Both of them live much, much longer and both them are the natural species for the location. Doug firs also have the advantage that they are green all year round.

I'm sorry, but Garry Oaks are awful trees. They get all this PR because they are a native species, but their leaves are so ascerbic and ruinsome.

#19 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

Crazy how they had to rip them down all at once. The new reality I guess.

You'd think they could just wreck all them first, multiple chain-saw cuts and slashes into them to make sure they could not live, then remove one at a time.

We had a similar (but different) situation in Brentwood a while back. The old tree roots were surfacing and breaking up the sidewalk. A different species was planted that would be more of a taproot, thus more suitable for longevity.

Of course there was a hue and cry at the thought of the removal.

I would guess that it is more cost effective to remove them all at once instead of one a week. It was probably also kinder to the public to "get it over with." Kinda like going to get your teeth removed before installing your new dentures.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

...their leaves are so ascerbic and ruinsome.

Meaning...?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users