Photo

Cook Street Village

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#41 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

hey - does anyone know what is happening at the corner of Cook and Oscar. Tree protection on all the chestnuts, the cobbler and the hair salon empty, the counsellors seem to have moved as well. Is a development planned? Haven't seen discussion on it, but I could be wrong (and usually am)
"I know nothing"

#42 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

@ manuel - I was wondering about that, too. No notices about any kind of permit application anywhere to be seen - so the question is, what's legal within the current zoning that would require tree protection and vacate not just the building at the corner but also the little one-story on Cook that had the cobbler & hair dresser? Curious...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#43 Village Dolt

Village Dolt
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

Heyo Villagers!

Iza back with more info on the ***confirmed*** development at corners of Cook and Oscar Sts. Been wondering whazzup there too and just chatted with Kevin King from the City's Planning and Development Dept.

Wellsir, seems there's be a demolishing there soon, as, in his words, a "two-storey mixed use" complex is slated to be built by (damned my bad memory!) a Kim (something) Developers, soonish. According to Kevin, the developers are finally acting on the permit they received close to two years ago!

So.... buhbye two-storey house and cobbler/hair salon building. For my edumacation, Kevin assured me the tree protection fences set up are just that, to protect the oaks while all hell is breaking loose nearby.

Kevin also mentioned that he does not know the project's completion date, as the developer is not bound to notify him of such. Hope this all helps... the more developer-savvy of you can please fill in name of developer for me, thanx mucho!

Have a great summer, all!

Roastin' and postin'... :cool:
The Doltsky
Vote for the Dolt for Cook Street Village's first mayor!
Then we amalgamate! :D

#44 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

Any bets that this one gets finished before Essencia Verde/Castana?
"I know nothing"

#45 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the info, Dolt!

#46 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for that heads-up, Village Dolt.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#47 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

Wellsir, seems there's be a demolishing there soon, as, in his words, a "two-storey mixed use" complex is slated to be built by (damned my bad memory!) a Kim (something) Developers, soonish. According to Kevin, the developers are finally acting on the permit they received close to two years ago!

Wow!! "Two-storey mixed use," that's super innovative and very exciting! Especially since it is essentially replacing an existing two-storey mixed use and the shoe repair/salon! It's just what the Village needs! Super neat-o!

#48 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

I think it is great. That end of the Village could use a boost and since no one was going to approve anything bigger I think this is a good option.

After this is complete there is only that 4 plex in the middle of the village left to develop really.

#49 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

...and since no one was going to approve anything bigger...

And herein lies the tragedy of it.

#50 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

I wish I could see a rendering.

#51 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:16 AM

Cook St. food court evolving

By Roszan Holmen - Victoria News
Published: July 08, 2010 6:00 AM
Updated: July 08, 2010 7:04 AM

A new waffle vendor in a controversial Cook Street Village food market is raising eyebrows in the community over the status of a gate, washrooms and a janitor’s closet for grey water disposal.
Developer Marc ***en promised the amenities in mid-May when city council approved permits for five vendors to operate in an empty lot at 325 Cook St. Council stipulated no new permits could be granted until ***en made good on all conditions, put in place to mitigate concerns by neighbours.[...]

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_south/victorianews/news/97985144.html

It appears as though Mark Gaygan and the City are playing silly buggers with the installation of promised amenities.

#52 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

I see the swear filter got a little carried away there :rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

I'm amazed it only took one month for the permit. On another note, is this waffle thing the new Crispy Creme? They seem to be everywhere. I don't get it. :confused:
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#54 Village Dolt

Village Dolt
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

Heyo!!

Greetin's again! Well, the Grand Village Canyon, part deux is now available for local and tourist viewing at Cook and Oscar corner and the project sign is now up!

Attractive looking building... flagstone and glass two storey which will contain, in alfalfabetical order, in the spring o' 2011... *drumroll*:

:) Bagga Pasta Cafe & Deli. (looks like they're movin' from Fairfield.)
:) Bubby Rose's. (yay! Movin' over to my end of teh Village.)
:) Hot House Pizza. http://www.hothousepizza.com
:) Paw's on Cook. (pet health food and supplies) http://www.pawsoncoo...m/TempHome.aspx

Here's a good article on the changes so far:

http://www.bclocalne.../100480579.html

Chatacha laters!
The Doltsky :cool:

#55 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

that building is awful...

#56 mortgagealerts

mortgagealerts

Mortgage Broker

• 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

that building is awful...

I would agree with that motion.

Couldn't they find a nicer looking brick?
Lina Zussino,
Mortgage Broker, Harbour View Mortgages

Blog
- http://www.mortgagealerts.ca

#57 Village Dolt

Village Dolt
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:02 AM

Granted, that building would look better up in the Rockies, but really, are we Villagers still so happy with retro '50s stucco siding and window frames with peeling paint?....

I think it will compliment in a way the Castana building.... hmm, Village bookends!:D

#58 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Victoria MP hosts service expo at Cook St. Village

By Robert Randall • Published on Saturday, February 26, 2011

Fairfield’s Cook Street Village neighbourhood will be invaded by over 30 service providers of all types Sunday afternoon when the Victoria Services Expo makes an appearance.

[G]uests include the Victoria Lawn Bowling Society, the Greater Victoria Public Library, Community Micro Lending, City Green Solutions and the Greater Victoria Compost Education Centere.

The expo takes place this Sunday, February 27, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Cook Street Village Activity Centre, 380 Cook Street.

more...

#59 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:47 AM

Have heard a rumour that the laundromat is closing and a hamburger joint opening in its place. Anyone else heard this?

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:31 AM

Apparently this is true. It is to be a joint venture between Pig Barbeque and Zambri's restaurant.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users