[Sooke] Prestige Hotel | 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2011

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,161 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:27 AM

Cam, check out the picture posting guide at http://vibrantvictor...cement.php?f=79

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Michael

Michael
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

Took these this morning. Estimated to be open Feb 2011.

http://picasaweb.goo.../PrestigeHotel#

Mike

#23 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

Unfortunately I did not have a camera, but I passed bye not knowing anything of this building before. I don't go to Sooke often and wow photos do not do it justice. It's a behemoth in comparison to those little cute houses I remember leading into Sooke...

#24 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

Unfortunately I did not have a camera, but I passed bye not knowing anything of this building before. I don't go to Sooke often and wow photos do not do it justice. It's a behemoth in comparison to those little cute houses I remember leading into Sooke...

Depends which way you come in to Sooke...all houses leading "in" (from Victoria) are the same. There has been relatively zero density increases on the east side of the bridge, due to the fact of the wastewater treatment infrastructure extending only to the east of the Sooke River bridge. (yes, secondary wastewater treatment, owned by Sooke, operated by EPCOR at a cost of $510/year per SFD - for comparison to the CRD's waterwater treatment plan)

As for the Prestige site, as of 2 weeks ago during my last visit, they had lots of the windows and doors in, and were drywalling the West wings 3rd, 4th, and 5th floor.

#25 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:03 PM

Took these this morning. Estimated to be open Feb 2011.

http://picasaweb.goo.../PrestigeHotel#

Mike

Welcome to the forum Mike. Nice photos. I thought that the contractor keeps a very clean job site.

#26 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

Did a walk through last week - Kitchens have some appliances in place, freezers in, flooring down. The restaurant is painted and they were working on the centre bar area.

East wing has sections of just framing, but top floors are being taped and mudded.

Can't imagine they'll be fully completed for their first conference at the end of March.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,161 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the update, Cam.

Earlier in this thread forumer "Michael" wrote that the estimated completion date is scheduled for some time in February.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:51 AM

The new style of WEST COAST ARCHITECTURE ?

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,393 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

On a positive note, I like the Ionic columns. ;)

#30 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

Were you being ironic when you said you liked the Ionic columns? I suppose they'll be iconic for Sooke, but maybe not in a good way.

#31 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

oh Barf!!!

#32 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:18 AM

This will be partially opening soon as other floors are finished up.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,161 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

Design aside, this is an exciting development for Sooke. None of the other major projects seemed to have gone from concept to reality.

Know it all.

#34 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

Design aside, this is an exciting development for Sooke. None of the other major projects seemed to have gone from concept to reality.

Which ones are you refering to?

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

I guess it's open now.

Photos from today's TC.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,393 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:41 PM

I guess it's open now.Photos from today's TC.

That is one major fluff-piece even for the TC. Based on the reader comments it seems the local residents may have a different opinion.:rolleyes:

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

The hotel...does not feature the typical West Coast accoutrements of exposed western red cedar, Island granite and river rock as far as the eye can see.

What it does have is a bit of a wow factor -as much for the evocation of a tropical-colonial hotel as the fact it won't remind you of anywhere else you've stayed on this Island.

"We wanted to be unique, to stand out and create a different experience than you would find on the Island," Tanya Stroinig, vice-president of operations for Prestige Hotels, said during a tour of the facility.

Stroinig said they took some stick for not going with the tried-and-true "West Coast feel"...

Full article:
http://www.timescolo...5261/story.html

So now we're abandoning Vancouver Island-style architectural gimmicks in favour of Okanagan-style architectural gimmicks?

Why does there have to be a gimmick? The Pier in Sidney, the Brentwood Bay Resort, the buildings along the Selkirk waterfront... they're all just really nice buildings, no gimmicks.

It's too bad because this Prestige Resort seems to have a lot going for it. The interior pictures look really good.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

The new style of WEST COAST ARCHITECTURE ?

This is a place I stayed at a few years ago in Fernie. I really liked it. Should we choose one style over the other?

http://www.kinkaa.co...3713b52639b.jpg
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#39 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

Looks like a generic business-traveler hotel just off an Interstate. Sure doesn't look Sooke-ish.

#40 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

Are these the first ionic columns in all of Sooke?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users