#2021 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

Some good photos I found of the flipped truck:

https://plus.google....764448108892481

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2022 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

It took several hours to extricate the driver according to one report I had heard earlier in the day. That's crazy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2023 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

Some good photos I found of the flipped truck:

https://plus.google....764448108892481

They called in a drone eh?  Probably a good call for this situation.  In the future, a guy won't show up with a drone in a box, they'll just call one over, as there will be hundreds of them in BC skies at any given time.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2024 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

They called in a drone eh?  Probably a good call for this situation.

Makes you wonder how they ever survived without it. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#2025 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

I wonder what's in the trailer.

They showed a very brief clip on the news of the trailer being lifted and you could see what looked like books and binders spilling out everywhere. What a mess.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2026 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

They showed a very brief clip on the news of the trailer being lifted and you could see what looked like books and binders spilling out everywhere. What a mess.

Overturned truck on Millstream on/off exit being removed using a crane.... photos by Rebecca Ehle King

1901610_767013526651655_4582063992026472

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2027 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

Edited by HB, 21 November 2014 - 08:39 AM.

#2028 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

Any idea what's going on Hwy 1 ?  I hear it's totally jammed coming IN to town, wife's been stuck trying to get in from langford for the last 40 min.  Must be an accident or something?

Apparently a 3-car pile-up past uptown.  I wish people would drive better...  Keep enough distance that if the car in front of you suddenly hits something you have time to stop.  A 3-car pile up is really nothing, get enough terrible drivers on the road and you can easily get 10, 20+ pile ups.  I'd say 90% of drivers on the highway aren't keeping even half the distance they should. 

Edited by Baro, 11 April 2014 - 04:58 PM.

• sebberry likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#2029 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

Accident around McKenzie. I hear it's a mess both ways on the 1.

#2030 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

Keep enough distance that if the car in front of you suddenly hits something you have time to stop.  A 3-car pile up is really nothing, get enough terrible drivers on the road and you can easily get 10, 20+ pile ups.  I'd say 90% of drivers on the highway aren't keeping even half the distance they should. 

I don't know why people insist on travelling in clumps.  They leave nearly no room in front, they follow in others' blind spots, yada yada. 

#2031 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

^ I try to leave 2 seconds of space between me and the car in front when highway travelling. The result is someone invariably cuts in.

#2032 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

^ I try to leave 2 seconds of space between me and the car in front when highway travelling. The result is someone invariably cuts in.

2 seconds is a minimum.  At 1 second you don't have the reflexes to hit the brake in time if the car in front suddenly stops.  Not only you don't no one does.

The rule I learned was 3 seconds and I followed it.  Sure, people cut in front of me, so what?  I just slowed down a bit until I was at 3 seconds again.  I always arrived much faster than if I had had to walk, run, or bike anyway.

So far as I know the laws of physics haven't changed since I stopped driving, nor have humans evolved faster reaction times.  At least one site on the web supports my practice: http://www.driversed...-distance-rule/

#2033 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

...The driver ran off but was soon tackled to the ground by civilians who witnessed the crash... As the man was running away, he discarded a handgun...

http://www.timescolo...closed-1.963035

#2034 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

I was driving by Uptown both at 7pm and just after 8pm, and I noticed that the new dark blue Saanich police vehicles do not have daytime running lights. At 7pm it was abnormal to see the cruiser car with no headlights on, but at 8pm it was borderline dangerous. How can the department purchase vehicles that do not have daytime running lights? And, why would they?

#2035 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

I've put in a question with the Saanich PD. We'll see if they respond.
  • Szeven likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2036 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

That's been a complaint of mine for a while.  It's not just the new cars, the old ones had them disabled too. 

I'm guessing the DRL module interferes with the "wig wag headlight" function of the emergency lights.  Also, the driver has a way to shut off all lights in order to sneak up on a perp at night. 

The DRLs really should be enabled for normal driving, however. 

#2037 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

Road rage in Vancouver.  I found this posted on another forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eMKkmRMEAI

• lanforod likes this

#2038 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

What was that even about? Did something happen before the camera turned on that explains the rage?  Or just the car that gets passed not paying attention at the light and taking a couple extra seconds to go and then going a bit slow?

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#2039 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

I don't know.  Looks like the guy in the Focus got ticked off at the Civic driver for not going the moment the light turned green and it spiraled out of control from there.

Some people lose their cool way too easily.

#2040 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

Here is an update on how Ron Broda (Ogden Point motorcycle incident) is doing. This guy never ceases to inspire me.

http://vimeo.com/93157158

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users