Photo

The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#3201 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

^ Some fukn idiot will attempt to pass anyway, just to get to the next red light faster!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#3202 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

And if the road wasn't actually safe for passing, then what?

You still peek before you go to make sure it's safe, but it cuts down on angst. You just chill behind the truck until he flashes his lights.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3203 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:50 PM

Mexico has a much simpler solution. If the road is safe for passing, truckers use their emergency flashers to let you know the coast is clear.

Brilliant. I don't understand why we can't adopt that here and the world over.

We had a similar system here long ago. If you were following a truck he would turn his left turn signal on if it was OK to pass. Worked real well, but alas, the "professional" truck driver seems to be an extinct breed here.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3204 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uqpy8_FVRM 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3205 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:46 PM

:whyme:

#3206 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:53 PM

Meanwhile, lurking in the shadows (and illegally parked) in Saanich... 

SPD.JPG

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#3207 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

I just passed by an accident scene

Wilkinson at Roy Road.

New crosswalk in a dark area

Well marked though

Red 2 door Honda Prelude windshield caved in with a big hole in it on driver side.

Pedestrian gone to hospital no word on condition other than still alive during ambulance trip

Road is closed waiting for traffic analyst

#3208 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:36 PM

Two young guys going 100 kph down a quiet residential street crashed into my neighbour's house. They almost went through the window of the basement suite where a pregnant woman was sleeping. Amazingly, no injuries.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#3209 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:21 AM

Geez, that's nuts.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3210 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:33 AM

Yeah, look in the second picture how far back the car bounced after hitting the house and that the house's electrical and gas lines were just centimetres away. The young men were very shamefaced and admitted to being stupid. I think the most that can be done is a ticket for driving without due care and six points.

This part of Saanich was designed without sidewalks so pedestrians walk on the curved roads which are a natural speed calmer. They almost hit a woman walking her dog. The driver admitted doing 80 but a police expert said by the length of the skid marks it was 100.

#3211 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:41 AM

Yeah, look in the second picture how far back the car bounced after hitting the house and that the house's electrical and gas lines were just centimetres away. The young men were very shamefaced and admitted to being stupid. I think the most that can be done is a ticket for driving without due care and six points.

Centimetres away?  How many?  If it's over 20 you should say decimetres away.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3212 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

Even emergency vehicles are only allowed to go up to 50% over the speed limit I think.  If there weren't such limits imposed, there could be some ridiculous high speed (& very high risk) chases happening with regularity.

It also seems caselaw starts falling on the speeder's side when the police ignore that kind of guideline.  http://www.carlaw.ca...ency-vehicles/ 

she did not have enough time to perceive and react to the police vehicle behind her

jbw

#3213 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:17 AM

Rob Randall, on 14 Oct 2015 - 11:36 PM, said:

Two young guys going 100 kph down a quiet residential street crashed into my neighbour's house. They almost went through the window of the basement suite where a pregnant woman was sleeping. Amazingly, no injuries.

Which road was this on? 

They need to lower the speed limit :cool:

#3214 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Is that a video camera I see in the last photo? Was it recording?

#3215 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:53 AM

Centimetres away?  How many?  If it's over 20 you should say decimetres away.

Okay, a decimetre from the electrical and 2.5 decimetres from the gas lines.

Here is the driver's POV from when the brakes were applied:

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

He continued in a dead-straight line to the corner of the blue house. I simply can't comprehend going down that twisty road at night at highway speed. Even 50 kph is risky.

#3216 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

As a former young man - with a few more years of experience now - I can say with a fair amount of confidence that young men aren't known for always making wise decisions when it comes to operating machinery that can go fast...
  • Rob Randall and lanforod like this

#3217 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

I don't know... I never stuffed my car into the side of a house.  Or into anything for that matter.

#3218 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:19 PM

The worst I did was take out some rocks installed at the edges of my neighbours driveway strategically placed to harm U-turners in his driveway that cut into his grass. Got my undercarriage pretty good.

Oh then by mistake I backed into his dogwood tree. By that was sort of a mechanical error, longer story.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3219 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:03 PM

James Bay walker, on 15 Oct 2015 - 10:12 AM, said:

Even emergency vehicles are only allowed to go up to 50% over the speed limit I think.  If there weren't such limits imposed, there could be some ridiculous high speed (& very high risk) chases happening with regularity.

It also seems caselaw starts falling on the speeder's side when the police ignore that kind of guideline.  http://www.carlaw.ca...ency-vehicles/ 

jbw

I would love to see that high speed chase on Craigflower as the cop goes careening down the street at 45kph.

• North Shore likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3220 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

I don't know... I never stuffed my car into the side of a house.  Or into anything for that matter.

See, that's why you are a 'super moderator' - a steady head on your shoulders! ;-)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users