7141 replies to this topic

#4821 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

Was there a scumbag driving it?

I didn't think to wave him down to ask...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4822 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

Good chance of a slope failure and falling trees on Malahat Drive in the next couple days.

Hopefully no cars get hit but that's wishful thinking

The scariest section to be driving through when the ground is saturated like this

is from Goldstream to Tunnel Hill.

http://youtu.be/NWNem5G0m34

• rjag likes this

#4823 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:22 AM

Yup we drove through there on Tuesday afternoon and our windshield got nailed with a slushbomb falling from a tree. I honestly thought the windshield had smashed as it made a huge BOOM and the whole glass was covered. Loads of busted branches on the UVic trails and around our neighbourhhod

#4824 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

Damn glad I don't have any life or death reasons forcing me to drive the Malahat these days.

• 57WestHills likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4825 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:24 AM

A two-car crash shut down the Patricia Bay Highway just north of McKenzie Avenue on Friday.

Saanich police told CHEK News that a southbound vehicle crossed the median and collided head-on with another vehicle just before 6 p.m.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.Txi9wCeB.dpuf

#4826 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

http://youtu.be/R21ouUGLyCU

• sebberry and North Shore like this

#4827 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

From Check 6 news today

http://www.cheknews....highway-283157/

#4828 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

http://youtu.be/R21ouUGLyCU

Ugh, so many bad decisions by the cops on this one.

#4829 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

I'm kinda surprised I wasn't in that video.

#4830 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:45 PM

Par for the course for IRSU. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4831 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

And to think, these are the "traffic safety" guys.

• rjag, Coreyburger and sebberry like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4832 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:07 AM

And to think, these are the "traffic safety" guys.

They were at that same location a week ago with their spotting scope, looking for drivers on cell phones.

#4833 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:05 AM

That's what they were doing yesterday . They had a guy standing on the bridge watching people go by then would call ahead to these guys. These guys also were standing behind the traffic signal box with a spotting scope as well

the only good thing about it from a police perspective was the guy on the bridge has visual continuity with the vehicles from the time he saw them until they were stopped down the road.

this is very important in court so that he can say Yes your honour the car I saw was the one they pulled over I never lost sight of it

On the Malahat its a different story.

They have a guy on the 4 lanes straight stretch hiding in the bushes about 1 km away who then calls out offenses to the line of cop cars around the corner on tunnel hill. I have listened to them on the scanner and many times he is calling out the colour of the car or the colour and what it is following. There is NO continuity so in fact the car that gets stopped is being stopped on colour alone at times. The driver gets a ticket but the driver never saw the cop hiding in the bush so would never know how he was picked out and that it may not even be him that was the offending driver. It would not hold up in court. Sometimes however the cop is able to get a license plate number

They play by their own set of rules at times without regard for laws or common decency.

• sebberry likes this

#4834 Gipper

Gipper
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:25 AM

That's what they were doing yesterday . They had a guy standing on the bridge watching people go by then would call ahead to these guys. These guys also were standing behind the traffic signal box with a spotting scope as well

the only good thing about it from a police perspective was the guy on the bridge has visual continuity with the vehicles from the time he saw them until they were stopped down the road.
this is very important in court so that he can say Yes your honour the car I saw was the one they pulled over I never lost sight of it

On the Malahat its a different story.
They have a guy on the 4 lanes straight stretch hiding in the bushes about 1 km away who then calls out offenses to the line of cop cars around the corner on tunnel hill. I have listened to them on the scanner and many times he is calling out the colour of the car or the colour and what it is following. There is NO continuity so in fact the car that gets stopped is being stopped on colour alone at times. The driver gets a ticket but the driver never saw the cop hiding in the bush so would never know how he was picked out and that it may not even be him that was the offending driver. It would not hold up in court. Sometimes however the cop is able to get a license plate number
They play by their own set of rules at times without regard for laws or common decency.

There's nothing unlawful about what you have described. The evidence is weaker than a continuous view but other factors may get the ticket upheld, such as a roadside confession, details of traffic density, etc. Both officers involved will make notes with significantly more detail than what you hear over the radio. The spotter call is the key to give the other officer "reasonable grounds to believe" an offense has been committed and is abbreviated in the interest of brevity. Further observations as detailed in notes may get the ticket over the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard for a court conviction.
  • sebberry and David Bratzer like this

#4835 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:34 AM

Inability to accurately describe a vehicle's make/model/colour/body style should also come into play. 

#4836 Gipper

Gipper
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:38 AM

Inability to accurately describe a vehicle's make/model/colour/body style should also come into play.

It may come into play but other factors could save the ticket.
  • HB likes this

#4837 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

To your knowledge, how often are recordings of the radio chatter retrieved for presentation in traffic court?

#4838 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

You can hear some pretty zany things on the scanner when these traffic blitzes are going down. There was a case late last year when a spotter identified a vehicle and said its driver was using a hand held device. After an extensive chat with the driver, a of the vehicle's driver area, a heated and animated exchange over the radio where the spotter insisted he wasn't wrong, it eventually turned out the man had been holding his wallet and as he passed below a pedestrian overpass he'd been spotted. The spotter identified the colour, brown, but the man's phone was a different colour and not easily mistakable for the wallet.

The exchange was an epic waste of time, but that aside and obviously the bigger picture being traffic safety, the fact that the spotter kept insisting for the cop at the scene to keep searching because he was certain he had seen a phone was a bit alarming. This guy wasn't taking no for an answer but eventually the cop at the scene put an end to it.

I personally wish we'd focus more on tailgating and aggressive driving. Send undercover cars into traffic all day long for all I care, but let's actually make a difference by getting those people off the road or at least warned about their actions.
  • rjag and Bingo like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4839 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

I can accept being parked in the bike lane in the video. Sometimes there's no where else to go, and cyclists should be aware of how to merge into traffic. No it's not perfect, no it shouldn't be regular practice, but I can tolerate it.

But the SUV parked on the sidewalk. That is idiotic. Look at the other side of the road. The construction fencing has left that sidewalk essentially unusable to folks in a wheelchair or walker. And now this office has made the sidewalk on his side of the road unusable to those same folks. Dumb decision there.

HB, I'm surprised you didn't say anything to them.

#4840 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

I was standing on a corner waiting for the light and a guy drove by eating a salad out of a bowl, with fork and all.  Neat.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)