The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#4941 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

There are two way turn lanes all over the place and some of them don't have any signage.
I once witnessed an accident where a cyclist and a car collided head on at night, when they both went into the two left turn at the same time.
The cyclist ended up on the hood of the car smashing the windshield. It was the 2300 block of Cook Street.

This is why they are called "suicide lanes".

Matt.

#4942 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

No wonder there are accidents people don't even know the meaning of a basic sign
  • Matt R. and lanforod like this

#4943 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

No wonder there are accidents people don't even know the meaning of a basic sign

Well, to be fair, if you get up close to that sign and only the slant saves you, you got too close before making evasive action.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4944 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

Perfect example of why drivers test written and on the road should be done every 5 years a simple sign like this one and people have no idea what it means...unbelievable but at the same time it is believable

Edited by HB, 14 March 2017 - 02:14 PM.

• HB likes this

#4945 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

My mistake for confusing which sign you were referring to. 

#4946 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

My mistake for confusing which sign you were referring to. 

Me too, I'll use this excuse.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4947 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

I first noticed it the other day when I saw 3 vehicles drive around the left side of it..they may have gotten tickets but if they noticed the sign the would have gotten off

What do you want to bet that the 3 drivers passing it on the left didn't actually know that's what the sign was directing them to do? :)

• Jill likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4948 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

What do you want to bet that the 3 drivers passing it on the left didn't actually know that's what the sign was directing them to do? :)

Until a few months ago I didn't know what they were for but I figured it out on a late night trip back from Nanaimo. The newfound fascination kept me mostly awake.
  • Mike K. likes this

#4949 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

They are there for when visibility is limited or poor.

#4950 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

id have to agree with you..

I hate when people see the yellow speed signs such as on the Millstream off Ramp heading north and they immediately go from 90+kmh to 60 or less when they see the 60kmh on a yellow sign.

Yellow signs are cautionary signs meaning its the suggested speed not the law  and those speeds are suggested  for the largest vehicles such as transport trucks or gravel trucks etc that should head the warning not cars..such as this one pictured...if the driver was doing the suggested speed she wouldnt have rolled the truck and she would still have her left arm...but hey its a rookie mistake she will never forget

#4951 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

The sign doesnt make sense though as you are not allowed to drive on an island in this case a painted one. 

And yet there you are.

• Daveyboy likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4952 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

Here try this out HB... any yellow diamond shaped sign mean "caution do what I say" regardless of your "size"

https://www.google.c...CiQCPGaej_F49OA
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4953 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

speed signs which is what I was talking about  that are yellow/orange are always square not diamond.

#4954 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

Im at the end of the two way left turn lane not on a painted island ...waiting to merge in after leaving the red lion...you know the place where all the Hell Angels hang out

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4955 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

Okay so if a yellow square/ rectangle sign on a exit it means

"Highway or freeway exit — slow to advisory speed shown"

Regardless of your size once again.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 14 March 2017 - 07:49 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4956 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

Im at the end of the two way left turn lane not on a painted island ...waiting to merge in after leaving the red lion...you know the place where all the Hell Angels hang out

So you are in a left turn lane turning right. Got it.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4957 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

yes advisory speed...aka the Advised speed not the legal speed limit.

So if it says 60kmh and you can safely take it at 80kmh then you can do it without being ticketed.

If however you wipe out,roll your car you may get a ticket after the fact maybe not for speeding but for not driving to road conditions

The criteria used to establish the curve advisory speed is long established. the result of driving at the advised speed may be somewhat conservative for some modern automobiles, therefore the average driver will find themselves possibly driving through a curve or highway off-ramp at higher than the advisory speed, under ideal road conditions, without any discomfort. Curve testing is done with a standard passenger vehicle, therefore truck drivers may find the advisory speed more accurate as the higher centre of gravity results in more discomfort than a passenger vehicle while traveling through a curve or a highway off-ramp

Edited by HB, 14 March 2017 - 07:58 PM.

#4958 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:58 PM

yellow diamond is suggested speed, correct.

yellow square is typically for turn warnings and best be adhered to if you want to keep your vehicle on the road.

#4959 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

which is exactly what I posted above you can drive it at higher speeds on cars, but as soon as you try to go faster in a higher centre of gravity vehicle such a s truck buses etc you risk turning it over but its not illegal nor is it mandatory to do that speed on the yellow square sign

#4960 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

"yellow diamond is suggested speed, correct."     never seen a yellow diamond speed sign they are square

Edited by HB, 14 March 2017 - 08:05 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users