Photo

The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#5121 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

he crept forward when it turned yellow he could have stayed where he was and waited for the next cycle he was not blocking the intersection until he started trying to beat the yellow

Sorry, but I see the light turning yellow at 26s in, which is well after the vehicle has entered the intersection and stopped.

#5122 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

Yup I'd rather he did what he did than block the crosswalk for the next cycle.
  • 57WestHills likes this

#5123 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

o

Edited by HB, 08 April 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#5124 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

Yup I'd rather he did what he did than block the crosswalk for the next cycle.

Edited by HB, 08 April 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#5125 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

That fact remains....if a cop or a CVSB Officer was there he would not have run the red light Or if he was on an ICBC road test that would have been a FAIL.....End of Story.

HB, this is a discussion forum.  I'm sure you know by now, that we are not going to all agree.  And very often, you likely see that indeed you are the person that is often holding the opposing view.

YELLING or saying it's the "end of (the) story", does not prove your case.  Nor does it end the discussion, often.

You need to chill out a bit.  Get outside, grab some fresh air.

• weirdie likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5126 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

yes that is why you post in big red letters at times the rules are different for some.

You make a point on a regular basis of being combatant.

I posted the video as information on bad driving.

You are not a professional driver and basically have no expertise in that area.

maybe you can reach out to Dave Wallace and ask him to comment and give his professional opinion on it.

And FYI yelling is caps lock and as you see my bold script is not caps lock its bold.

You are also combatant on other forums as well   a great example is your hate of homeless persons you detest them from what your posts hint at but at the same time if a homeless charity or such asked to post on your  I love Victoria Facebook page you would greet them with open arms and take their money willingly

• VicHockeyFan and Matt R. like this

#5127 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

Doesn't everybody kind of assume that driving a big rig is tricky and making a tight turn like that may result in an extremely minor inconvenience for other drivers? Bug rigs are slow and long, so of course it takes them longer to clear an intersection. Let's not be silly. That was hardly an example of bad driving. Maybe slightly less than ideal, but not terrible.

Think of the "this vehicle makes wide right turns" scenario. Often truck drivers have to use more than one lane while turning right to make the corner. While technically illegal I assume, that manoeuvre is hardly unreasonable or dangerous or frowned upon.
  • weirdie, tedward and sdwright.vic like this

#5128 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

he crept forward when it turned yellow he could have stayed where he was and waited for the next cycle he was not blocking the intersection until he started trying to beat the yellow

Why? He's allowed to do what he did. Why would he waste his time and hold up the turning lane?

-End of story

Edited by todd, 08 April 2017 - 11:31 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and sdwright.vic like this

#5129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:07 PM

The driver is learning how to drive a big rig. Let's cut him some slack, for gosh sakes.
  • 57WestHills likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5130 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

Not really the mountain I think anyone would want to die on.

I mean come on I watch cars run red lights to turn left daily... and no one video tapes them. Yes, most have forgotten that if you come up to a light that has turned yellow, you should prepare to stop, and NOT go through the intersection. But that was not the case. This guy was across the stop line before the yellow, so what, not proceed and stop the other people from being able to turn left because he was beyond the stop line and blocking the turn line?
  • 57WestHills likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5131 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

He's also driving a massive truck.  If he is in the intersection on someone else's green, no better vehicle to be in for that person to see the intersection is occupied.

• sdwright.vic likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5132 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

Darn I feel like I missed a good reply before it got edited.
  • Matt R. and todd like this

#5133 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

Nasty, nasty accident this afternoon in the northbound lane south of Duncan.

First time that I have witnessed the air ambulance helicopter landing and taking off on the road.

#5134 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:25 AM

^ Here is an update with a good picture.

http://www.cowichanv...fter-car-crash/

#5135 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

http://youtu.be/VUU0cph6e44

#5136 stormy

stormy
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:39 PM

A few days ago my friend was pulled over by IRSU and given a ticket for for distracted driving, using a cell phone, for $368. The problem with this is that she drives a modified van and it would be physically impossible for her to be talking on a cell phone whilst driving and the officer refused to acknowledge it.

Megan uses one hand for the steering and the other for braking and acceleration. The officer who stopped her had been radioed by the 'spotter.' He spoke to her through the passenger side window. She explained that her van was modified but he wouldn't even go to the drivers side to see her paddle. It also states that she drives a modified vehicle on her drivers license, yet he still issued the ticket.

It was on Chek news and also an article was written by April Lawrence on April 21st. In this article ISRU respond, though not specifically to this case...
Quote, "When an officer who is in the spotter position radios to us the evidence of what they’re seeing and what they’re doing it’s compelling to me, and unless there’s some extenuating circumstances the violation ticket would be written." Unquote.
Well apparently that is not so.

The officer who was the 'spotter' mistook Megan's controls for a cell phone, an honest mistake. However, when the second officer stopped her and she explained that she needed to use BOTH hands to operate her vehicle you would assume that common sense would have prevailed.
Instead his response was...
“I’m not going to go against my partner, what he says goes, you can dispute this."

The perfect example of a person who is just doing their job without using any form of common sense, logic or reasoning and certainly NOT acknowledging 'extenuating circumstances."
In fact the officer's blatant disinterest is appalling.

Now Megan has to spend time disputing a ticket that never should have been issued in the first place.

Edited by stormy, 23 April 2017 - 12:47 PM.

• Rob Randall, weirdie and Awaiting Juno like this

#5137 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:58 PM

Saw that on CHEK's website.  Terrible. 

I wonder how many other people have been issued violations based on an incorrect "spot"?

I remember when the penalties for this were being revised and many comments appeared online suggesting immediate roadside impounds. Could you imagine if that was the penalty in Megan's case?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5138 stormy

stormy
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:08 PM

Saw that on CHEK's website. Terrible.
I wonder how many other people have been issued violations based on an incorrect "spot"?

I remember when the penalties for this were being revised and many comments appeared online suggesting immediate roadside impounds. Could you imagine if that was the penalty in Megan's case?

It would be awful Sebberry.
she would be stuck in the side of the road in her wheelchair.
If you watch the clip on Chek you can see that she stays in her wheelchair when driving, you can also see her paddle controls.

#5139 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

Yeh, I saw the clip.  It's awful now that people are being subject to this sort of bullying. I can't imagine if the penalties were higher (and thus more revenue to the government...)

Good people shouldn't be getting wrapped up in the legal system for doing something completely benign. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5140 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

The worst is that those 2 useless cops are going to cost taxpayers a sh*tload of money in court fees just for a JP to hear the case not sure what the cost is but defiantly in the thousands

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users