Photo

The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7138 replies to this topic

#5141 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

I saw this story on Chek TV.  The spotter was in front of the Denny's on Douglas.  

Seems he was catching people that were stopped at the light and checking their phones.

Is it possible she was stopped at the light and checked her phone at that time?

If not, then she can dispute it, and I'm sure it will be thrown out.

Had a friend who got a ticket and he doesn't even own a cellphone.  He is going to dispute it too.

#5142 stormy

stormy
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

I saw this story on Chek TV. The spotter was in front of the Denny's on Douglas.

Seems he was catching people that were stopped at the light and checking their phones.

Is it possible she was stopped at the light and checked her phone at that time?

If not, then she can dispute it, and I'm sure it will be thrown out.

Had a friend who got a ticket and he doesn't even own a cellphone. He is going to dispute it too.

Her right hand controls steering, her left hand controls brakes and acceleration. It could look like she was checking a phone but she wasn't.
She is going to disputed it.

Edited by stormy, 23 April 2017 - 06:10 PM.

• sebberry likes this

#5143 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:19 PM

Not really a Victoria Traffic issue, but crash at Speedway....jaws of life needed

#5144 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:05 AM

A little while ago I had mentioned a conversation I heard between IRSU units. The spotter said he saw a man holding a phone, so the other unit pulled him over. The latter unit kept asking the spotter to confirm what he had seen. It turned out, after a lengthy back and forth where the spotter insisted he had seen a phone, that what he had seen was a wallet. But he would not accept that narrative and wasted everyone's time by having the unit on the ground keep searching because his said he was certain of what he had seen. I get that mistakes can be made, but the determination to land a ticket, the no taking no as an answer was a real eye opener and made me realize that that officer considered you guilty even if his partner insisted there was no phone in sight but that an oddly similar (to the description) wallet was.

Meanwhile on Friday afternoon IRSU nearly caused an accident when pulling over an (elderly?) female driver at the west side of the Johnson Street Bridge. The officer was standing in between both westbound travel lanes and suddenly raised his hand when a sedan approached him. The driver, however, was not expecting to be pulled over in that fashion and kept going, so he kept raising his hand higher and backed up a little until suddenly the sedan stopped and vehicles behind it had to come to a screeching halt right where drivers start to accelerate once clear of the bridge. They ended up blocking the southern westmboud lane when their light turned red, and traffic on Harbour road had to wait for the vehicles to clear.

It was comical, to he honest. But at least thanks to HB's photos from a little while back showing IRSU units blocking a sidewalk and bike lanes with their vehicles on Harbour Road, they had them parked where they impacted no other users of the road.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5145 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

I was driving up highway 99 one day doing about 110, an SUV goes by me doing about 130. Few seconds later I see a police car behind me going in and out of traffic trying to catch up with the SUV. He gets behind the SUV and paces it for a bit then flips on lights and sirens. Asian lady driving the SUV slams on the brakes as hard as she can because she is so freaked out, the police officer hammers his brakes and his car slews sideways and he winds up in the grassy median just past the SUV. The lady has come to complete halt in the left hand lane with a line of traffic behind her now. Comical to watch, I'm betting that particular highway patrol guy leaves a little more room between his car and the one front now.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5146 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

Please remind me why I don't trust Saanich Police. a pickup truck BLS 5781 albeera plares passed within 2 inches of me while I was stopped at the intersection of mackenzie and Shelbourne. Driver was texting. Police report desk told me to go home and report on an online form.

Yes, I was upset that I nearly ended up in Royal Jubilee, and yes I expected them to treat the call with a little more respect.

Hopefully someone in Saanich gets the message that safety on roads is important for all users, and that their procedures .Dennis attitude needs a major update.

At least treat someone calling in a report with respect
"I know nothing"

#5147 Gipper

Gipper
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

Please remind me why I don't trust Saanich Police. a pickup truck BLS 5781 albeera plares passed within 2 inches of me while I was stopped at the intersection of mackenzie and Shelbourne. Driver was texting. Police report desk told me to go home and report on an online form.

Yes, I was upset that I nearly ended up in Royal Jubilee, and yes I expected them to treat the call with a little more respect.

Hopefully someone in Saanich gets the message that safety on roads is important for all users, and that their procedures .Dennis attitude needs a major update.

At least treat someone calling in a report with respect

I know this system can be frustrating from a caller point of view but it saves quite a bit of call-taker and police time on traffic complaints that 95% of the time can only lead to a warning letter to the registered owner.
  • sebberry, Jill, 57WestHills and 1 other like this

#5148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

A car smashed into the Capital 6 theatre building this morning. Check out the photos on VV's Facebook page. Didn't look like there were any injuries.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5149 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

Why the big ramp if not a drive in?

Edited by todd, 07 May 2017 - 12:24 PM.

• bluefox likes this

#5150 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

Old woman driving a car was injured and her car was totalled...the offending car which was travelling very fast then veered off the road and hit a pedestrian before smashing into the wall. The pedestrian was pulled hard by arm by his wife who probably saved his life. The offending car was driven by a woman with her husband they are from prince George and had a trunk full of luggage

#5151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

HB, where is this info from, can you confirm?

Know it all.

#5152 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

it occurred when i was nearby but I was not able to stick around for more than a few moments

Edited by HB, 07 May 2017 - 08:55 PM.

#5153 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

It happened across the street from where I was standing. I heard it turned around and there it was.

I know the guy who got hit it was a glancing blow but car made contact with him.

you should know I am everywhere that carnage and death occurs or at least it seems that way

http://youtu.be/a6JmnsHO7Kc

Is this enough proof?

Edited by HB, 07 May 2017 - 08:53 PM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#5154 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:54 PM

you should know I am everywhere that carnage and death occurs or at least it seems that way\

Sorry HB, hope I don't run into you any time soon. :( 

/Grim Reaper.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5155 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

yes plus I seem to be able to predict things.... "I SEE DEAD PEOPLE"

Edited by HB, 07 May 2017 - 08:59 PM.

#5156 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:35 PM

It happened across the street from where I was standing. I heard it turned around and there it was.

Is this enough proof?

No pre fire department footage?

#5157 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:44 PM

yes plus I seem to be able to predict things.... "I SEE DEAD PEOPLE"

Movie_i_see_dead_people-769472.jpeg

Been meaning to spread my uncle's ashes.

#5158 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:05 PM

No pre fire department footage?

No I was assisting my friend who just came mm from being impaled into the wall...Ill keep the footage on my phone so that when I run into you at the the playground I can play it for you... I also have some other footage items that you may be interested in viewing  name your poison I may have it

#5159 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:34 PM

No I was assisting my friend who just came mm from being impaled into the wall...Ill keep the footage on my phone so that when I run into you at the the playground I can play it for you... I also have some other footage items that you may be interested in viewing  name your poison I may have it

I want you to get in the goddamn game! I want something people can't turn away from. When I say that I want these things, I mean that I want them. And I don't want to have to ask again. 

• Matt R. likes this

#5160 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Watching all these dash cam videos I was thinking they could also work against you if you were the cause of an accident. The police can seize them as evidence, and with your consent or by search warrant look at everything stored on the camera.

Could also be required as evidence in a civil suit.

If you destroy, delete or edit the footage in any way you could face different charges. 

• todd likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users