The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#5401 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,458 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

Yikes, that's going to cause a few headaches, for sure.

Do we know if the utility pole was a hydro pole or a telephone pole?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5402 phx

phx
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:32 PM

Yikes, that's going to cause a few headaches, for sure.

Do we know if the utility pole was a hydro pole or a telephone pole?

The pole looked to have power, phone, and cable.  I expect there were some outages in the neighbourhood.

• Mike K. likes this

#5403 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,458 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:33 AM

Yesterday afternoon while driving west along the TCH at McKenzie I had a woman tailgating me dangerously close to my vehicle, which is a classic car and not equipped to make sudden movements nor does it have much foregiveness if something goes awry, meaning: you drive it like it it's carrying a deck of cards.

Anyhow, I'm doing 60 in the, you know, 60 construction zone, and this lady is blowing her top, screaming, totally enraged that's I dared drive the speed limit ...in a construction zone.

So I stuck my hand out to point at the speed limit sign, but what does she do? She gets even closer and becomes more enraged. She literally blew her top.

...then she exits 500m later at the Helmcken exit.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5404 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:41 AM

That construction zone is notorious for some utterly craptastic driving.  

I try to keep it as close to 60kph as I can through there, and I'm usually passed repeatedly like I'm standing still.  All it takes is one or two people to do the speed limit through there and everyone loses their minds.  

I don't disagree that 60kph is reasonable through there.  But that area really does highlight the problem of speed limits that are set unreasonably low for road conditions and the aggression it can trigger in people.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5405 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,458 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:59 AM

I found it rather amazing that Saanich has put up No Idling signage along Admirals Road as you approach the TCH intersection. Well, folks, it's one or the other, right? Luckily the province forced the interchange onto Saanich, otherwise we'd have had another decade of plenty of idling as residents hummed and hawed over ways to redirect traffic to somewhere else.

Know it all.

#5406 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,666 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

...She literally blew her top...

"Literally"? So either her head exploded and she somehow continued to drive, or the clothing from her waist to her neck suddenly vanished?

• tedward likes this

#5407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,458 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:19 AM

Oh, you should have seen her. She was shaking/jiggering/vibrating she was so furious. If it wasn't so shocking to watch in my rearview mirror, it'd be kinda comical.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#5408 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

...my vehicle, which is a classic car...

Yes, we get it. And you were on your way to some exclusive nightclub or some such thing, yadda yadda yadda.

• Mike K., Rob Randall and lanforod like this

#5409 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

"Literally"? So either her head exploded and she somehow continued to drive, or the clothing from her waist to her neck suddenly vanished?

You're reading way too much into it. She literally blew her top. Like blowing a candle.

#5410 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,666 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

You're reading way too much into it. She literally blew her top. Like blowing a candle.

So she figuratively blew her top. 

• tedward likes this

#5411 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:56 AM

No, she literally pursed her lips, lowered her head, and blew air upon her own shirt. And Mike K. read this as an indication that she was enraged.

• Nparker likes this

#5412 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

You sure it wasnt your ex?

#5413 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:06 AM

If Mike K. had tangled with my ex then let's just say his classic car wouldn't be looking quite so classic right about now.

Classic_car_smash_3464023b.jpg

#5414 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:56 PM

So I stuck my hand out to point at the speed limit sign, 

Which direction did your hand signal indicate you were turning?

#5415 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

So I stuck my hand out to point at the speed limit sign, 

They never learned that it's rude to point?

• VicHockeyFan and Bingo like this

#5416 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

Yesterday afternoon while driving west along the TCH at McKenzie I had a woman tailgating me dangerously close to my vehicle, which is a classic car and not equipped to make sudden movements nor does it have much foregiveness if something goes awry, meaning: you drive it like it it's carrying a deck of cards.

Anyhow, I'm doing 60 in the, you know, 60 construction zone, and this lady is blowing her top, screaming, totally enraged that's I dared drive the speed limit ...in a construction zone.

So I stuck my hand out to point at the speed limit sign, but what does she do? She gets even closer and becomes more enraged. She literally blew her top.

...then she exits 500m later at the Helmcken exit.

Mike you should have pointed to the sign with an oar she may not have seen your hand.

#5417 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

They never learned that it's rude to point?

Guys in "classic cars" do all kinds of sh&t.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5418 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:55 PM

Guys in "classic cars" do all kinds of sh&t.

IMG_8926.JPG

#5419 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,458 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

Mike you should have pointed to the sign with an oar she may not have seen your hand.

Oh yeah, she saw it. The rear window isn't tinted and she was staring me down, screaming, lol.

Know it all.

#5420 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

I had a guy the other morning get pissy on Quadra.  I was doing 41kph (crap, did I just admit to law breaking?!) just after crossing Hillside heading up the hill.  He got pretty close, was constantly lifting his hand off the top of his steering wheel checking his speedometer. 

I too pointed at the big tribute to Shellie Gudgeon at the side of the road, but that did little to calm him down.  There was a short stretch where no cars were parked at the side of the road so I moved into the right lane and he gunned it up the hill past me.  In his minivan. 

I'm not sure what's safer for the puppies and children.  Two drivers paying an unreasonable amount of attention to each other doing 41kph, or two drivers doing 50kph paying attention to the road. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)