• Please log in to reply
7139 replies to this topic

#5421 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

my vehicle, which is a classic car

A '92 Sunbird is a classic now?

I was amazed at the number of drivers getting themselves stranded at View and Douglas during a few minutes of observation. Too impatient to wait another light cycle they instead block the intersection for all other users.

#5422 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

Yes! Without rear tinted windows.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5423 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

Yesterday afternoon I was passing a flagger at a construction site just as a vehicle charged her. It was quite the scene. Police responded and from what I gathered the driver was known to police. They said that the most they could do was to issue him a dangerous driving ticket as they wouldn't be able to prove intent to harm the flagger.

Crazy stuff.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5424 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

...I was passing a flagger at a construction site just as a vehicle charged her. It was quite the scene. Police responded and from what I gathered the driver was known to police. They said that the most they could do was to issue him a dangerous driving ticket as they wouldn't be able to prove intent to harm the flagger.

I'm wondering why you were present from start to finish and privy to all of the details.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5425 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

Yesterday afternoon I was passing a flagger at a construction site just as a vehicle charged her. It was quite the scene. Police responded and from what I gathered the driver was known to police. They said that the most they could do was to issue him a dangerous driving ticket as they wouldn't be able to prove intent to harm the flagger.

Crazy stuff.

Did anyone blow their top?

#5426 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

I actually had to console the poor girl who got out of the guy's path. She was pretty shaken up but had to keep doing her job.

I realized yesterday how bloody dangerous that job is and how unforgiving people are.
  • Midnightly likes this

Know it all.

#5427 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:34 AM

I actually had to console the poor girl who got out of the guy's path. She was pretty shaken up but had to keep doing her job.

I realized yesterday how bloody dangerous that job is and how unforgiving people are.

Are you just driving around looking for trouble?

#5428 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

Ever since HB took off for Tuktuyaktuk someone has to.
  • sebberry, Matt R., Bingo and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#5429 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

Ever since HB took off for Tuktuyaktuk someone has to.

They have a university up there and the t-shirt says  "Tuk U"

#5430 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

Haha!

Know it all.

#5431 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

have it. There is also a settlement on Banks Island in the Arctic north of Tuktoyuktuk called Sachs Harbours.
I picked up a shirt there from Sachs Harbour Institute of Technology...S.H.I.T

Edited by HB, 13 August 2017 - 08:18 AM.

• Sparky and Bingo like this

#5432 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:28 AM

Bam!
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

#5433 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

This story about the Japanese van and the lost key is ridiculous.

Whatever system they use to rectify a lost key situation in Japan, should have been shipped to the Victoria or Vancouver dealer for them to do it, then shipped back to Japan.  Surely would not have cost more than a couple hundred dollars.  Toyota Canada and worldwide looks stupid in all this.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 August 2017 - 09:07 AM.

• sebberry, Bingo and todd like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5434 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

I tried to get a copy of my truck keys the other day and found out that my keys also have a chip and I'd have to go to the dealer to get a copy. Lame.

Know it all.

#5435 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

I tried to get a copy of my truck keys the other day and found out that my keys also have a chip and I'd have to go to the dealer to get a copy. Lame.

That does not seem too onerous.  But this guy's dealer was in Japan.  And they told him he'd have to go there.  That's insane.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5436 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

Most newer luxury cars have this issue. If you have only one key then you still need to go to the dealership to have a second one made as they need to access the car's computer to program it. If you have no keys then quite often they either have to replace the security module (like what was done in this case) or they have to use a special tool to try and reprogram it. 

It seems strange to me that Toyota would use different tools in Japan and Canada but you never know, perhaps there was something about the vehicle that is different between Canadian/US models and Japanese ones.

Lesson learned is that if you have only one key then get a second one made even if it costs you a few hundred dollars!

#5437 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

I do not mind them having two tools, here and Japan.  But I find it hard to believe that just for the sake of the bad publicity they have now got, that they did not find a way to send that tool over for a day.

#5438 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

Could it have been one of those Japanoid things?

Know it all.

#5439 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

An '02 hybrid Toyota apparently.

Attached Images

• 8b375ce00e151c425bb7c38fa2eff5ac.jpg

#5440 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:35 PM

Does any of this apply in this case?

Cars not originally manufactured to Canadian-market specifications may be legally imported once they are 15 or more years old. This has led to the import of many Japanese sports cars such as the Nissan Skyline. The only categorical exception to the 15-year rule is that many – but not all[34] – vehicles manufactured to United States-market specifications can legally be imported into Canada under the compliance modification and inspection program administered by the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. Typically, modifications to meet Canadian standards include the installation of daytime running lights and tether anchors to permit secure attachment of infant car seats, documentation indicating that any repairs required in response to the original manufacturer's factory recalls are complete, and passenger cars assembled on or after September 1, 2007 are also required to have an immobilization system that meets the CMVSS 114 standard. Labelling of the vehicle to indicate its imported status, to warn that the odometer is counting in miles (as made-for-Canada odometers have used kilometres since 1976) and to translate safety-related warning labels (such as airbag maintenance procedures) is typically also required. Speedometers in US and most Canadian vehicles indicate both miles per hour and km/h, either with dual calibration or with a single set of numbers that can be made to display miles or kilometres at the driver's option, so are usually left unmodified.

In March 2007, Transport Canada initiated proposed rulemaking to change the importation laws such that vehicles not originally manufactured to Canadian-market specifications would be eligible for import only once they are 25 years old, rather than the present 15-year cutoff rule.[35] The main impetus behind this proposal is the significant influx of Japanese-market vehicles in Canada in recent years, particularly in Western provinces such as British Columbia due to geographical proximity to Asian ports of departure. BC's public auto insurance administrative body, Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, in 2007 released research finding that right-hand drive vehicles are involved in 40% more crashes than left-hand drive vehicles in that province.[36]

https://en.wikipedia..._import_vehicle

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users