7141 replies to this topic

#5441 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:57 PM

Most newer luxury cars have this issue.

Most cars have the issue.  2007 was when it became mandatory for any new car made in Canada to be equipped with an immobilizer. 

My 2005 has one. 

The chips in the keys are coded, and that code has to be programmed into the car. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5442 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:39 AM

I tried to get a copy of my truck keys the other day and found out that my keys also have a chip and I'd have to go to the dealer to get a copy. Lame.

canadian tire sells and programs keys for much less than an dealership will

Edited by HB, 14 August 2017 - 06:39 AM.

#5443 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

Sad to report that the lady who had a bike accident west of the Johnson Street Bridge has died.

#5444 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:18 PM

massive head injuries do that....some bicyclists such as this one who was reported to be traveling at a high rate of speed off the bridge only make fatal mistakes once.

Too bad thats not a good outcome

#5445 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:54 AM

The TC repeats the "high rate of speed" claim today. How do we know this? Westbound after the JSB is downhill, it is normal to go fast, even if coasting. Is there any evidence she was traveling at an unusually high speed? I doubt it.

#5446 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:14 AM

The TC repeats the "high rate of speed" claim today. How do we know this? Westbound after the JSB is downhill, it is normal to go fast, even if coasting. Is there any evidence she was traveling at an unusually high speed? I doubt it.

I don't know how you determine what the real speed was unless she was passing cars who were going slower.

There have been two accidents involving cyclists that I know of during the construction of the bridge, the other one being when a cyclist fell into an uncovered trench in the road.

Here is what the TC reported. http://www.timescolo...died-1.22016873

#5447 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

I cross that bridge multiple times per day and regularly see cyclists making their way down that decline towards Harbour Road well in excess of the 30km/h limit. Once over the bridge, some folks use that decline to then help power them up the incline between Harbour and Tyee roads.

• weirdie likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5448 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:34 AM

55 year old female cyclists aren't exactly who I'd think of first if you asked me to list people who can propel a bike at high speed... 

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#5449 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

Could she have been on a bicycle with an electric motor?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5450 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

55 year old female cyclists aren't exactly who I'd think of first if you asked me to list people who can propel a bike at high speed...

I thought so too until I did the Tour de Victoria and got smoked by one on a carbon fibre Colnago.

Driving by I got a glimpse of the area but didn't see any major flaw that could be a road hazard. Perhaps she scraped the curb.

#5451 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

I thought so too until I did the Tour de Victoria and got smoked by one on a carbon fibre Colnago.

Driving by I got a glimpse of the area but didn't see any major flaw that could be a road hazard. Perhaps she scraped the curb.

There's a bump there from the two pavings. I thought the bump was gone with the repaving, but noticed this evening that it is still there.

#5452 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

Perpendicular irregularities are usually no problem but a ridge that runs parallel can be trouble.

#5453 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:50 AM

There's a bump there from the two pavings. I thought the bump was gone with the repaving, but noticed this evening that it is still there.

It's most definitely still there and also my immediate thought after reading about them cyclist was that she must have hit it. If you're paying attention to navigating the curves in the road and other traffic, it can be a bit of a shock to hit it at speed.

Edited by weirdie, 21 August 2017 - 06:50 AM.

#5454 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

Anyone else with a video camera tried it?

#5455 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

Every lighted intersection in Harris Green is out right now. People are really struggling with the 3 or 4 way stop.

#5456 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

Bad timing... or a council ploy to further reduce traffic volumes?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5457 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:17 PM

I'd suggest the later, but it's heavily impacting cyclists and pedestrians as well. You're really taking your life into your hands trying to cross the street right now. Just walked the block and the following are all down. Not even flashing red, just totally dead.

Cook & Johnson, Cook & Yates, Johnson & Vancouver, Yates & Vancouver, View & Vancouver.

It's been more than 30 minutes of this now and not a city worker, cop, or traffic flagged in sight. Just chaos.

#5458 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

Apparently balloons struck live lives. 5,200 hydro customers are without power right now in the downtown core.

Know it all.

#5459 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

It's been more than 30 minutes of this now and not a city worker, cop, or traffic flagged in sight. Just chaos.

Don't we have the Integrated Road Safety Unit to help out in situations like these?  Oh, they're enforcement... who helps in these situations?

I don't know how accurate the power map is.  I'm almost in the middle of it and I have power. 

power.JPG

traffic.JPG

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5460 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

Ya I'm dead center as well, so is my office. Both have full power. It seems very sporadic, but I noticed the car dealerships and Moxies were all without. Curiously, Orange Theory right next door to Moxies DID have power.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users