The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#5461 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

Me too. Girlfriend also has power. I suppose it affects different customers on different ways. Some intersections have power, others don't. It's weird.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5462 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:14 PM

Every lighted intersection in Harris Green is out right now. People are really struggling with the 3 or 4 way stop.

Has anyone checked to see if all the copper wiring is missing.

#5463 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

When Colwood reduced the speed limit to 40kph, I read in the council meeting minutes from back in the day that they decided that the 40kph limit would cause drivers to become frustrated and pass, so they would install a double yellow line to prevent passing.

Unintended consequences:  Illegal to pass cyclists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWtfGXV8kWI 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5464 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:06 PM

You can turn left across double yellows, so just pretend you are doing that.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5465 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

As a cyclist and a driver, cyclists who absolutely dog-f*ck on roads with no bike lane or discernible shoulder are the absolute bane of my commuting existence.

That said, there is tons of room on that road to add a bike lane/shoulder, either by implementing angle or parallel parking. I think it was short-sighted (perhaps because none of them cycle) to draw in these lines and include no shoulder on what would obviously be popular cycling route (flat, scenic, etc).

#5466 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

Right, like how stupid Saanich or CRD or whoever did the work was to repave the stretch of Mt. Doug from Ash to Shelbourne... and NOT add bike lanes  :mad:

• Coreyburger and Daveyboy like this

#5467 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

You can turn left across double yellows, so just pretend you are doing that.

Only if you're not impeding any traffic. I've seen local cops push vehicles doing that along by flashing their lights, lol.

• GaryRanson likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5468 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

The OIH where the Salvation Army second hand store has double yellow lines and people impede traffic there every day. So they added "no left turn" signs so now people go down the street a little distance and impede the traffic there waiting to make their left turn.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5469 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:47 AM

People get annoyed when I get stuck behind a transit bus here and refuse obey the law and decide not to pass it.

Attached Images

• Capture.JPG

• Kungsberg likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#5470 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:34 AM

People get annoyed when I get stuck behind a transit bus here and refuse obey the law and decide not to pass it.

Indeed. I got honked at yesterday for not driving in the bike lane on Tillicum heading south to the highway. Big truck man behind me really wasn't happy he had to wait an extra 30 seconds to drive around the corner and wait.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5471 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

I had a guy behind me on Langford Parkway, just losing his s%$t because I was turning right onto Phipps from the through lane. The bike lane there doesn't have a broken line as it approaches the intersection so you can't sit in the bike lane to make your turn. Funny thing...we were stopped at a red light so, even if I was out of his way and standing in the bike lane to make my turn...he wasn't getting anywhere any faster..

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5472 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:44 AM

I had a guy behind me on Langford Parkway, just losing his s%$t because I was turning right onto Phipps from the through lane. The bike lane there doesn't have a broken line as it approaches the intersection so you can't sit in the bike lane to make your turn. Funny thing...we were stopped at a red light so, even if I was out of his way and standing in the bike lane to make my turn...he wasn't getting anywhere any faster..

A lot of honking would help.

• todd likes this

#5473 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

This manoeuvre will now be known as "pulling a GFS".

21463117_1654379567915042_78134877819546

21370891_1654379537915045_71114946762460

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 September 2017 - 12:38 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5474 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

Are all of our resident motorcyclists safe and accounted for?

#5475 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

Right.

A man in his 50's succumbed to injuries this afternoon following a collision on Harriet Road at Boleskine during the noon hour.

Know it all.

#5476 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:11 PM

A man in his 50's succumbed to injuries this afternoon following a collision on Harriet Road at Boleskine during the noon hour.

Goldstream Gazette has released surveillance footage of the crash, showing the driver of the truck heading east make a left turn onto Whittier, colliding with the motorcycle.  It does not appear that the driver entered the two-way left turn lane before making the turn, and the turn looks to be a last-moment decision. 

Blink of an eye.  Yikes.

Edited by sebberry, 11 September 2017 - 06:12 PM.
Wrong newspaper

#5477 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

Goldstream Gazette has released surveillance footage of the crash, showing the driver of the truck heading east make a left turn onto Whittier, colliding with the motorcycle.  It does not appear that the driver entered the two-way left turn lane before making the turn, and the turn looks to be a last-moment decision. 

Blink of an eye.  Yikes.

There once was a time when a driver's first instinctual reaction was to hit the brake... now it is to hit the gas. No one wants to come in second in the competitive sport of driving.

• weirdie likes this

#5478 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:23 PM

Blink of an eye.  Yikes.

Just trying to understand exactly what happened here. And how video from the Bistro would show an accident a block away. Was the motorcycle going west on Harriet and the truck turned left in front of him?

#5479 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

Just trying to understand exactly what happened here. And how video from the Bistro would show an accident a block away. Was the motorcycle going west on Harriet and the truck turned left in front of him?

The camera was pointing in that direction and showed the collision quite clearly.

The motorcycle was heading west, the truck going east and made a left turn from the through-lane.  The truck didn't move into the two-way turn lane.

#5480 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

The criminal trial of Eric Gosse started today at 10:00 in Victoria Supreme Courtroom #402.

Mr. Gosse is facing three charges.

Criminal negligence causing bodily harm. 

Assault with a weapon.

Aggravated assault.

These charges stem from an incident in the summer of 2013 when it is alleged that he intentionally used his vehicle to commit the above crimes against motorcyclist Ron Broda.

Ron Broda survived the incident after his left leg was amputated.

It is expected that this will be a lengthy trial. 

So Eric Gosse was eventually found guilty of Dangerous Driving Causing Bodily Harm and sentenced to a 5 year driving ban and 60 days in the pokey. 

He appealed his conviction but the judge denied his appeal yesterday.

If you are looking for Mr. Gosse, I think you will find him in the pokey.

• Bingo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users