Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:28 AM

Opens November 4th:

http://www.wildplay....-info/index.php

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:43 AM

I was passing by their office on Garbally near Gorge and wondered if they would have a local park.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:52 PM

I did the tree course in Nanaimo with my girlfriend's son and his friends and it was fun.....until right at the end. I wish I had been a sissy like him and bailed rather than face the black level......but I didn't. Hanging 60 feet in the air shaking violently trying to regain my balance with rope burn while aching and sweating profusely isn't exactly my idea of fun. The ziplines were fun but the greatest part came at the end. Upon finding out the whole thing was his idea, strangling him was quite enjoyable.
In chains by Keynes

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:05 AM

WildPlay wants Inner Harbour zipline

By Robert Randall • Published on Monday, November 29, 2010

WildPlay element parks is seeking permission to install a zipline at Victoria’s Inner Harbour in time for summer.

If successful, the local eco-tourism outfit will operate a ride that will allow the adventurous the opportunity to attach themselves to a cable running from the roof of the Visitors’ Information Centre down to the end of Ship Point. The attraction would complement WildPlay’s other ziplines in Nanaimo and Whistler, BC. WildPlay, mindful of criticism by some that saw Undersea Gardens and the Wax Museum as kitschy tourist traps, wants the zipline to be regarded as wholesome, respectable and affordable family entertainment.

more...

a public community meeting will be held today, Monday, November 29, 2010 at 6:30 p.m. at Victoria Silver Threads, 1728 Douglas Street (across from the Hudson). Neighbours, business owners and the public are encouraged to attend to find out more about the zipline rezoning application.

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

^That would be wicked.

I doubt it would happen though. Too much fun for this town.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

They should turn the blue bridge into some urban climbing thing

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:53 AM

A zipline from from the tourist info light tower? I can tell you right now ain't go happen if they are even serious about this which I highly doubt they are. This just sounds like a PR move to get their name out there. This reminds me of Pacific Coast Net trying to get naming rights to the arena years ago when I highly doubt they could have ever afforded it. I told my girlfriend about this and she actually laughed out loud.
In chains by Keynes

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:08 AM

It will be approved on a one-year trial. The success of the Robson Square one at the Olympics has paved the way.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:11 AM

I don't see why this can't happen other than 'well it's victroia...'
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#10 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:13 AM

A zipline from from the tourist info light tower? I can tell you right now ain't go happen if they are even serious about this which I highly doubt they are. This just sounds like a PR move to get their name out there. This reminds me of Pacific Coast Net trying to get naming rights to the arena years ago when I highly doubt they could have ever afforded it. I told my girlfriend about this and she actually laughed out loud.

PCN did get the naming rights. The arena was never built however.

#11 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

PCN did get the naming rights. The arena was never built however.

And PCN went bankrupt shortly thereafter!!! Musrt have been related!

I think its great to have something like a zipline at that location. Anything unique and fun should do really well. Its a shame they couldnt go from the roof of the Museum across the harbor to ships point:eek:

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:08 PM

I haven't talked to the GVHA (they operate Ship Point) but the PCC is, how should I say, bewildered, that this application is going forward without their endorsement. The PCC don't even really know anything about it. I'm not even sure WildPlay even knows that building is owned by the PCC.

A zipline from from the tourist info light tower? I can tell you right now ain't go happen if they are even serious about this which I highly doubt they are. This just sounds like a PR move to get their name out there.

I can tell you this is serious, because going for a rezoning is a time-consuming and expensive process. They have been keeping this plan on the down-low for several months.

I hope you can attend the meeting tonight. I will be interesting.

#13 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

Just come back from the DRA meeting on this. Seemed that everyone there was supportive of the idea. It's a really early concept right now. Timber frame structures would be used on both ends to hold up the cable and platforms. The ride would not run from the existing tower of the Tourist Info Centre but from a stand-alone timber frame structure. On the Ships Point end the platform and cable would be about 30 feet from the ground. The cable would run about 540 feet to the Tourist Info Centre at a 4 degree incline. It would be about a 30 second ride, with a cost of $10 to $20.

Here's a birds eye view of the area - http://www.bing.com/..., BC&q=victoria

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:34 PM

Sounds amazing!

#15 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

Just come back from the DRA meeting on this. Seemed that everyone there was supportive of the idea. It's a really early concept right now. Timber frame structures would be used on both ends to hold up the cable and platforms. The ride would not run from the existing tower of the Tourist Info Centre but from a stand-alone timber frame structure. On the Ships Point end the platform and cable would be about 30 feet from the ground. The cable would run about 540 feet to the Tourist Info Centre at a 4 degree incline. It would be about a 30 second ride, with a cost of $10 to $20.

Here's a birds eye view of the area - http://www.bing.com/..., BC&q=victoria

And with 50% to share with the various stakeholders who own the buildings and property it would be a win win for the company and the taxpayer. Heck if it was really successful it could pay off the bridge!

#16 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:04 PM

Heck who needs a bridge, build a couple of ziplines and its all good!!!!

#17 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

I can tell you this is serious, because going for a rezoning is a time-consuming and expensive process. They have been keeping this plan on the down-low for several months.

Just because the rezoning process is a time-consuming and expensive process doesn't add credibility to this idea. If anything, it takes away credibility from it given that you admitted Wild Play probably doesn't even know that the building is even owned by the Provincial Capital Commission. The levels of bureaucracy that Wild Play would have to cut through in order for this thing to see the light of day would be remarkable. Look at all the problems the Songhees Marina faced and they actually had the zoning at one time. Besides, how many building proposals have we seen in Victoria that were infinitely more sensible than this die on the drawing board? I hardly think the zip line in Vancouver during the Olympics compares to this either. Different place, different time, different setting. On top of that, no one in this town would probably ever be satisfied with the level of safety given the foot/vehicular traffic in that area. If there is one thing Victorians have said time and time again, it's that they want things to stay the same, they don't like change and a Disneyland-like ride in the inner harbour will go over like a pregnant polevaulter.

I on the other hand, would love see this thing happen. :D
In chains by Keynes

#18 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:41 AM

That's already an area that is busy with tourists. Would it not be more effective to have something on the peripheral that would be a draw? Say in the Rock Bay area?

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:32 AM

I'm sure Wildplay is thinking about their own interests first before the greater interests of the city. It would be a good idea to attract people to another part of d/t, but Wildplay wants to play it safe in an already established tourist section of town.
Besides, it would draw locals into d/t as well. This would be a fantastic opportunity for the business community.

If this gets rejected, I hope they try again in another part of town.

#20 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

I think that Wildplay needs a proper PR person. I understand that this is a business venture, they want exposure, etc but playing this up as a major tourist draw and then suggesting that this is to help the city and that they don't plan to make any money on it is a stretch.

The zipline in Vancouver during the Olympics was free wasn't it?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users