Latest VV Article

Push for rentals continues with transformation of Old Town office block

The former Ministry of Forests and Service Canada building at 595 Pandora Avenue in downtown Victoria’s Old Town district will be brought back to life as a mixed-use residential and commercial project.

Developer Stan Sipos and son Jonathan have submitted plans to City Hall seeking approval to re-purpose the 1980’s-era four storey office building into 51 rental units and 5,000 square feet of commercial space [Read more]

Photo

Police / Nanny-state thread

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 20,643 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:24 AM

Pupils ordered to wear goggles to play conkers at school in 'nanny state' ruling

By Jaya Narain
Last updated at 12:55 PM on 28th October 2009

Pupils who want to play conkers in the playground have been ordered to wear safety goggles - because of health and safety fears.

[...]

http://www.dailymail...ate-ruling.html

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 20,643 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

Parents banned from watching their children in playgrounds... in case they are paedophiles

By Laura Clark
Last updated at 7:18 PM on 28th October 2009

Parents are being banned from playing with their children in council recreation areas because they have not been vetted by police.

Mothers and fathers are being forced to watch their children from outside perimeter fences because of fears they could be paedophiles.

[...]

http://www.dailymail...aedophiles.html

#3 Dylan Leblanc

Dylan Leblanc
  • Administrator
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

FEAR, the mind killer!

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:58 AM

The big question is whether or not parents should be allowed to watch their kids play conkers on the Johnson Street Bridge. It doesn't get much more dangerous than that. I'm scared just thinking about it.

#5 rjag

rjag
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationCRD

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:14 PM

The big question is whether or not parents should be allowed to watch their kids play conkers on the Johnson Street Bridge. It doesn't get much more dangerous than that. I'm scared just thinking about it.

While drinking a Pepsi while the torch relay goes past!!!

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 20,643 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

No booze games for you!

#7 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:31 AM

I was listening to the BBC and heard about the new drinking rules and the outrage last night. Compared to our liquor laws here I found the new laws pretty funny. I mean look at some of the new laws and wonder how this was ever legal:

• Minimum pricing on "All you can drink for $X" promotions
  • Banning "Girls Drink Free" promotions
  • Bars must sever singles, not even bars can only serve singles, but bars must sell singles as well as singles and triples, etc
  • Bars will have to ID for age checks, no more just putting a sign up saying "You must be 18"
  • Several in Bar drinking games will be banned.
  • Bars must have water available

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 20,643 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

http://www.timescolo...4530/story.html

Vancouver Park Board to consider park, beach smoking ban next month

By Lena Sin, The Province
January 20, 2010

[...]

Jesus. Butts and fires have nothing to do with smoking, and everything to do with littering. Throwing your butt away ought to be treated as offensive as leaving your dog doo behind. As in you only do it when no one is looking. Just like washing you hands after using the washroom, good sanitation says you don't have to do it if there is no one else in the bathroom.

#9 phx

phx
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

Park and beach smoking ban is long overdue.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 20,643 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:05 AM

Yes, it's important we prevent 18-year-olds from having their feelings hurt. So the soccer game will become a game of keep-away once you open up a big lead. That seems a nastier way of rubbing it in, to me.

Soccer league enforces rule to prevent blowout games

Updated: Mon May. 31 2010 6:32:02 PM

ctvottawa.ca

An Ottawa soccer league is enforcing a maximum five-goal victory to prevent blowout games among kids between five and 18 years old.

According to the rules, the winner becomes the loser if they beat their opponents by more than five goals.

They don't say if "own goals" will count, Ie. score on yourselves to put the other team over 5.

And of course it is important we don't expose our kids to the real world...

In Ontario's secondary schools, teachers are told not to penalize students for late work. The Ottawa public school board has decreed that students who plagiarize will be allowed to do the assignment again. In some schools, students are allowed to stroll into class whenever they want. And a provincially mandated system of "credit recovery" means it's so easy for them to make up failed courses that they don't have to do much more than show up.

http://v1.theglobean.../specialComment

#11 Baro

Baro
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:22 AM

Well I'm glad I don't have to worry about younger people replacing me at work one day. Keep em lazy, irresponsible, and uneducated!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 20,643 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:28 AM

In Florida, students have been arrested for bringing a plastic butter knife to school, throwing an eraser, and drawing a picture of a gun. The eleven-year-old who allegedly brought a plastic butter knife to school was handcuffed, taken to jail, and charged with a third-degree felony. Legislation recently passed unanimously by the Florida Senate could change all that by prohibiting schools from calling the police for nonviolent misdemeanors. "Throw an eraser and they want to call it throwing a deadly missile, which is a felony," said state Sen. Stephen Wise (R-Jacksonville), the senate sponsor of the legislation, which has yet to clear the state house.

http://www.eagleforu...nce-states.html

#13 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

Fearful British parents keep kids closer than ever
PAUL CASCIATO, REUTERS

http://www.canada.co...1476/story.html

Streetwise, a charity that educates children about safety, revealed that nearly a quarter of children aged 15 or under were not allowed to sleep at a friend's house, 60 percent were forbidden to travel on public transport alone and 43 percent can't go to the park without a parent or guardian.

[...]

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:38 PM

I like how despite kids being safer than any point in human history there's growing hysteria over boogie-men about to jump out of bushes at any moment and do horrible things to children. I heard of some parks in the states having police doing random checks on any adult at the park to make sure they have a child there, if they didn't they were asked to leave on the ground of "protection from potential child predators". Some schools erected large fences and hedges to block views of playgrounds to potential pedophiles couldn't watch them. Where is this hysteria coming from?? Almost all abuse and kidnapping of children is within the family, yet so many parents are so afraid of this fantasy stranger they continue to demand the government "do something".
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

An Ottawa soccer league is enforcing a maximum five-goal victory to prevent blowout games among kids between five and 18 years old.

There's nothing wrong with calling a game (or conceding) if the score gets too out of hand, but it makes no sense to punish the team that's winning just because they're winning by a large margin. Is Don Cherry in charge now? I'm reminded of his juvenile complaints about teams "running up the score"...in the NHL!

A come-from-behind victory is utterly diminished if the other team wasn't allowed to continue scoring after they had established a significant lead.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 20,643 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

Polls

The CRD Board may have put off the decision, but would you vote yes or no to teen tanning restrictions?
Answer Votes %
Yes 323 68%
No 151 32%
Total: 474 100%

^CFAX tonight.

Well, next step, Mr. Stanwick, send your troops to the beaches this summer, and ticket teen tanners that are there for more than 20 minutes in any day without SPF 30. Your team might enjoy doing a full rub-down to make sure they are completely covered in sun-tan lotion, right up to their bikini-line. That tanning is far more dangerous and not regulated (yet).
TALK about Downtown Victoria on FaceBook: I ❤ Downtown Victoria or TALK about Sidney on FaceBook: I ❤ Sidney

#17 phx

phx
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

^ I'm assuming the CRD has resolved all of the regional transportation, water, sewage, and other issues, and now has nothing better to do than considering tanning restrictions.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 20,643 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

^ Well I see the CRD is currently running a bus-shelter and bus-side advertising campaign basically telling us not to run into the street at night in dark clothing. Is that money well-spent?
TALK about Downtown Victoria on FaceBook: I ❤ Downtown Victoria or TALK about Sidney on FaceBook: I ❤ Sidney

#19 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:44 PM

^ Well I see the CRD is currently running a bus-shelter and bus-side advertising campaign basically telling us not to run into the street at night in dark clothing. Is that money well-spent?

That's just another example of how to cull the herd, if you can't figure it out that it is a bad idea.....

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

^ I'm assuming the CRD has resolved all of the regional transportation, water, sewage, and other issues, and now has nothing better to do than considering tanning restrictions.

Where can I sign up to become an inspector?

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users