Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#521 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:51 AM

Hmm, but then who would use a service with only Universal's music? I think messing with an organization like Apple, which takes in BILLIONS for the music industry via iTunes alone, could cause a domino effect no one label, no matter how large, wants to get caught up in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#522 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

The royalty rate per stream was idiotically low. 

They look low, but are they?  Compared to what?

When New York's biggest Top-40 radio station plays a song, and 2M are tuned in to hear that one play, how much does the artist get?  If I buy an album, physical or via download, and I play it 750 times over the next 23 years, how much does the artist get every time I play it?

Tidal loses money, Pandora loses money, Spotify loses money.  Hard to see how paying artists more and charging customers more, and/or having a more limited catalog will help that.

It's also hard to see what any artist would not want to be on YouTube.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#523 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

Say Universal for instance. It could pull 20% of the music industry's catalog from apple if they don't pay up. Who'd subscribe to a service with such a large percentage of the selection cut out? No one. The content producers are still the power players here.

Why would I want to be an artist signed on with Universal if they pull my work from the biggest consumer channels?  It goes both ways.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#524 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:35 PM

Say Universal for instance. It could pull 20% of the music industry's catalog from apple if they don't pay up. Who'd subscribe to a service with such a large percentage of the selection cut out? No one. The content producers are still the power players here.

No, the loss to Universals bottom line as the revenue from those Apple Music streams vanished into thin air would be catastrophic to Universal's shareholders ... it would never happen.

The entire Taylor Swift/Apple Music thing demonstrates very effectively that the current state of affairs is largely between the artist and the streaming distributor ... there are no middlemen to speak of.

Re: your note about digital distributors ... there are digital aggregators that charge a fee for services, but aren't really involved beyond getting an artists music up onto a streaming platform like Apple Music of Spotify. This is because the average small artist doesn't have the required knowledge, access, or tools to actually move their music directly onto the Apple, Spotify, Tidal, etc platforms.

It's Apple Music and Spotify that are the digital distributors.

#525 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

Never mind the new Telus building, get my Webmail up and running as of right now.

#526 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

Never mind the new Telus building, get my Webmail up and running as of right now.

I know! Lots of outages over the past couple of days.

Telus outage.JPG

Strangely enough, right before Telus raises my rates again and I have to engage in my annual fight to get a long-term customer loyalty discount.  :mad:

#527 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:13 PM

There's really no need these days to be using ISP provided email.

• Matt R. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#528 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Perhaps, but I have had the same email provider for a very long time and it would be troublesome and inconvenient to switch to another service. Also, I hate Gmail. The current outage however, does give me a bargaining tool in my upcoming battle with Telus for the best bundled-service rate.

#529 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

it would be troublesome and inconvenient to switch to another service. Also, I hate Gmail.

I don't think anyone who values their sanity uses Gmail voluntarily.

I switched to Outlook.com after many, many years of @shaw.ca.  It was a bit of a hassle, but it also made it a heck of a lot easier to switch to a different ISP for my service. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#530 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

...I switched to Outlook.com after many, many years of @shaw.ca.

If it's anywhere near as bad as the Outlook email app that comes with Windows 10 then no thank you!

#531 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:38 PM

If it's anywhere near as bad as the Outlook email app that comes with Windows 10 then no thank you!

Not the same at all. 

#532 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

I just cornered the market for the same email address at Everton that offered free.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#533 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

I don't think anyone who values their sanity uses Gmail voluntarily.

I switched to Outlook.com after many, many years of @shaw.ca.  It was a bit of a hassle, but it also made it a heck of a lot easier to switch to a different ISP for my service. 

Did you upgrade to the "premium" or do you just use the free one?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#534 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Did you upgrade to the "premium" or do you just use the free one?

I use the free one.  Just have to remember to log into webmail once every 180 days for the account to remain active.

Otherwise I use Outlook 2016 to get all my mail. 

Telus and Shaw offer a bit of a dog's breakfast for email.  For mobile devices, you get Exchange Active Sync, but it's either POP or IMAP on your desktop.  POP and IMAP don't do any calendar or contact syncing.

Outlook.com has been upgraded to use Exchange for all devices, meaning everything stays in perfect sync between your desktop, laptop, tablet and phone. 

#535 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

Yeah, I just use the free one as well. Does everything I need it to do.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#536 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:25 PM

I agree. Seems odd.

#537 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

I agree. Seems odd.

Until the recent outage from Telus I have never really had any significant issues with their email service. I see no reason to go through the inconvenience of having to update all the communications I get through my current email address by switching to another service. 

#538 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

Until the recent outage from Telus I have never really had any significant issues with their email service. I see no reason to go through the inconvenience of having to update all the communications I get through my current email address by switching to another service. 

That's the main reason I haven't switched my primary email address as well. I do have both gmail and outlook.com addresses as well, but the shaw one would be a pain to switch from. Eventually... shrug. I certainly prefer the interface of Outlook.com for webmail over any of them by far.

Edited by lanforod, 04 June 2017 - 09:09 PM.

#539 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

...I certainly prefer the interface of Outlook.com for webmail over any of them by far.

Telus used to have a rather clunky webmail interface, but they've made some decent improvements in the past year and I am more than satisfied with the functionality.

#540 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:14 PM

It's more that what's offered by ISPs is simply outdated.  I was a holdout for quite a while too, but I'm glad I dealt with an hour or so of hassle to switch over. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users