Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#541 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

Telus used to have a rather clunky webmail interface, but they've made some decent improvements in the past year and I am more than satisfied with the functionality.

Both Telus and Shaw have improved but neither of them hold a candle to Outlook.com.

• sebberry likes this

#542 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

It's more that what's offered by ISPs is simply outdated...

For my purposes it works well. I have little need to sync email/calendar between devices so unless the Telus service starts to have regular outages or other technical problems, I am content to stick with the status quo.

#543 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

I'm astonished at how antiquated Gmail looks and feels these days. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#544 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

For my purposes it works well. I have little need to sync email/calendar between devices so unless the Telus service starts to have regular outages or other technical problems, I am content to stick with the status quo.

Spoken like a true flip-phone owner :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#545 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

You can also auto forward your Shaw mail to your outlook account so you don't have to change e-mails.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#546 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:12 AM

So... honestly, all y'all still use email?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#547 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:08 PM

Yes.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#548 skeptic

skeptic
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

I'm astonished at how antiquated Gmail looks and feels these days.

You should try Inbox, it's a google skin on gmail, much more modern

#549 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

Spoken like a true flip-phone owner 

Not at all. I just rarely use my cell phone for anything other than texting, photos and the occasional phone call.

#550 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

You should try Inbox, it's a google skin on gmail, much more modern

I'm not sure Google's skin is a positive :P 

Oh, and... "Oops, your browser is not yet supported. Inbox works best on Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Safari."

#551 skeptic

skeptic
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

Oh, and... "Oops, your browser is not yet supported. Inbox works best on Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Safari."

So it's supported on browsers that account for 99% of the population. And if you don't like google apps, just don't use them. There are plenty of alternatives (unless you are using one of those browsers in the 1% margin, in which case your choices might be limited).

#552 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

I'm not going to use a browser that got onto most people's computers in very much the same way viruses do.

#553 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:33 PM

I'm not going to use a browser that got onto most people's computers in very much the same way viruses do.

Try one of the good Firefox forks, maybe the plugins'll work on one of those? Pale Moon for example.

#554 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:10 AM

Still on Netscape?

• Matt R. likes this

#555 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

Just a tip for those Shaw subscribers that don't re-evaluate their service packages often, like me.

I've had a grandfathered Internet 25 service since 2013 - that effectively functions at 30Mbps down, 5Mbps up.  Shaw recently raised their rates and was about to charge me $77 per month for that 30Mbps service.  Well, it turns out for just $3 more I could get their 75Mbps service (with 7.5Mbps up) for just $80 - and that's their regular price.  Hey, thanks for NOT letting me know.  Anyway, we've switched over and get around 85Mbps peak downloads now.   :)

#556 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

Did you get a high speed modem with that?  If so, was it included or extra cost?

Edited by phx, 29 July 2017 - 07:13 PM.

#557 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:08 PM

Yup, you have to swap the modem for the newer model.  I did it at the Uptown Shaw store.  They told me there would be no change in monthly cost - it's $3.95 per month with a credit for $3.95 per month so it's free.

#558 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

Just a tip for those Shaw subscribers that don't re-evaluate their service packages often, like me.

I've had a grandfathered Internet 25 service since 2013 - that effectively functions at 30Mbps down, 5Mbps up.  Shaw recently raised their rates and was about to charge me $77 per month for that 30Mbps service.  Well, it turns out for just $3 more I could get their 75Mbps service (with 7.5Mbps up) for just $80 - and that's their regular price.  Hey, thanks for NOT letting me know.  Anyway, we've switched over and get around 85Mbps peak downloads now.   :)

I'm getting the same service (25/2.5) for $44/mo from Juce.  What a ripoff Shaw is. 

#559 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:34 PM

Yeah but to get to 75/7.5 you'd pay $44 x 3 or $132 (assuming pricing was linear with bandwidth), so $80 seems like a deal, assuming of course you want/need that much bandwidth.  I've got lots of BIG pictures to post!   :D

#560 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

So, thank you for that.  

I wasn't on a grandfathered rate, and was therefore paying $80/mo for their Internet 30 service.  Called in, and they switched me to the Internet 75 service early.  The sales rep I talked to said I'd be switched over eventually anyway, but if I'm paying the same amount, I want the higher speed (and extra bandwidth) now.  Had to go with cable in the first place, as DSL apparently isn't available in my building.

Speed tests (not just Ookla) report 75-85 down, 7.5-8.1 up.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users