Photo

Tipping and service industry discussion

• Please log in to reply
360 replies to this topic

#241 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:43 AM

I think if you are male, you can tip based on the attractiveness of the server.

Appearance maybe, but not attractiveness is my philosophy.

I find the tip function on debit/credit machines overly suggestive, especially at nontraditional tipping locations or socially optional tipping locations. Sometimes I'm wary about tipping because they may think I'm hitting on them, but then sometimes I don't and I get a dirty look. Trying and pick somebody up with the tip just seems wrong?

Edited by todd, 26 April 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#242 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:49 AM

I went to Famous Original last night, tipping never crossed my mind.  I do tip at Brickhouse Pizza though.  Hmmmm.

I was at another place the other day, the server sat two tables, and told us both after we sat that the kitchen was closed, I thought that was odd.  The other table left.  I stayed as I was only there for beer really.  But I found the server kind of blah, so I tipped nothing.

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#243 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,540 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:34 PM

I'm with you on that one SamCB. I've stopped tipping for counter service, and you're right, it IS getting out of control.

What really gets me are the debit terminals that force you to select from % or $. You can't bypass those options without clicking on $ then entering 0.

• todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#244 scoughman

scoughman
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:45 PM

I went to Famous Original last night, tipping never crossed my mind.  I do tip at Brickhouse Pizza though.  Hmmmm.

That place is pretty odd. Feels like they're still figuring out how to do their table service. You order at the counter, but you can also just sit down anywhere and presumably wait forever for service? Maybe it's got something to do with the liquor license, like, you have to be be served liquor, but the servers won't take orders for you? Frustrating to me. Plus, I think the pizza still needs work. I'm really rooting for them but I just always eat at the Joint since it's open till 3 and they have whole wheat crust.

The option to tip doesn't bother me so much, I have few qualms about tapping right past it — but I do like the option to tip if I want to, and I almost never carry cash. Been proud to tip at Ruth & Dean lately. 

Edited by scoughman, 26 April 2016 - 01:45 PM.

#245 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:03 PM

That place is pretty odd. Feels like they're still figuring out how to do their table service. You order at the counter, but you can also just sit down anywhere and presumably wait forever for service? Maybe it's got something to do with the liquor license, like, you have to be be served liquor, but the servers won't take orders for you? 

You know, it was a bit funny for me too.  I ordereed a pizza slice and beer.  Got the pizza right away at the order/pay counter, then took it to my table, they saw where I was I was one of only 3 tables in there.  My beer never showed up after about a minute, so I walked down to where it would normally be poured, near the taps.  I said "I think I'm looking for my beer..."  Then one worker told another to pour it.  Maybe they just never saw/heard the slip come up.

I don't know, at Brickyard they just serve you the beer at the counter.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#246 scoughman

scoughman
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:35 PM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#247 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:27 AM

http://www.theprovin...1311/story.html

Downtown (Calgary) Earls restaurant ditches tipping for mandatory 16% 'hospitality charge'

#248 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:12 AM

The cooks actually make more than the servers.

Matt.

#249 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:02 AM

The cooks actually make more than the servers.

Matt.

Sounds right to me.

I usually keep going back if the food is good,even though the occasional service is not quite up to snuff.

#250 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:51 AM

There seems to be a split happening in the restaurant business that reflects in the quality of service. I've noticed most ~$16 places have OK service and food but if you move into the $18-$19 per entree category (OLO, Agrius, Little Jumbo) the quality of the food and service jumps appreciably. This is not carved in stone, and there are exceptions and I note that the newer restaurants usually have better service than the highly-rated old favourites. 

#251 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

Early reviews are unkind:

https://www.facebook...arls67/reviews/

screenshot-www.facebook.com 2016-07-12 15-21-06.jpg

#252 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

Nothing like a Margarita on a Monday!

screenshot-www.facebook.com 2016-07-12 17-46-40.jpg

#253 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,540 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:26 PM

Earl's love the hot seat. First it was Albino Rhino, then it was their halal meat, now it's their tipping policy!

What I've always appreciated about the Earl's in downtown Victoria is when you tip, you tip on the "before tax" price.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#254 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:26 AM

What is with these idiots who say "don't force me to subsidize your staff, pay them fairly!" As if there is someone other than the customer providing the money in this equation at all.

How do they think this works?

Matt.
  • Mr Cook Street and lanforod like this

#255 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:29 PM

I think people just expect the price to be the price,  not like going to the airport and getting hit with a ton of hidden fees.  Give everyone a raise and increase the food prices 16%, it's clear, it's what people expect.  I'm sure there'd be a backlash if a place advertised a $10 burger but then had a "15% staff wage fee" and a "5% bathroom upkeep fee" and a "$5 entry fee" that all end up making the $10 advertised burger a $20 burger.

Then again I'm the sort that wishes listed prices had to include tax.  Just tell me how much money I need to hand you in order to get the product, no BS.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Nparker and 1 other like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#256 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:33 PM

I totally agree with Baro. By adding a hidden 16% fee at the end you're just forcing tipping, not 'ditching it.'

We are one of the first world few countries that doesn't show the cost of things all in. I would love to see the total cost of the items I'm looking to purchase before doing so - seems only fair to both the seller and the buyer.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#257 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:40 PM

The argument being made here by Earls is that by including it (before GST) on the bill as a service charge they are able to pass the money directly to their staff.  If they were to simply raise prices, it would trigger things like increased rent and royalty fees and income tax, thus decreasing the amount available to pass along to their staff.

I'm not sure why you think this is "hidden", it's probably clearly stated on the menu.

Matt.

#258 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

The argument being made here by Earls is that by including it (before GST) on the bill as a service charge they are able to pass the money directly to their staff.  If they were to simply raise prices, it would trigger things like increased rent and royalty fees and income tax, thus decreasing the amount available to pass along to their staff.

I'm not sure why you think this is "hidden", it's probably clearly stated on the menu.

Matt.

But Matt, you and I know that most servers barely claim any of their tips for income tax, I'm not sure how these employees will like all their tips being taxed.

#259 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:19 PM

The reason why Earls doesn't want to include the 'fee' in their prices is that they don't want the menu prices to increase and dissuade customers. You can call it whatever you want but to the CRA it is all business income. The argument that they get taxed on one and not the other is BS. I don't know how their royalties are set up but it sounds like this is a corporate restaurant anyways so in that case that argument would also be BS. 

I get it. The certainty of a 16% gratuity would help them pay higher prices to staff and have better options for recruiting into some positions. I would have to think that the front of house talent would still rather be at a restaurant or bar that allowed them to keep a high percentage of their own tips.

• thundergun likes this

#260 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

But Matt, you and I know that most servers barely claim any of their tips for income tax, I'm not sure how these employees will like all their tips being taxed.

Indeed, it's a huge pay cut for the service staff. The company line is that everything is hunky dory at this location, go team, rah rah rah.

Matt

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users