BUILT
Promenade on Jacklin
Uses: rental, condo
Address: 2771 Jacklin Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 4
Promenade on Jacklin is three-storey, one, two and three-bedroom rental complex situated along the 2700-block ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Promenade on Jacklin on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Promenade on Jacklin (2771 Jacklin) | 4-storeys | Approved

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:27 AM

A proposal for a 14-storey, 131-unit, seniors congregate care building has surfaced for 2771 Jacklin Rd. in Langford.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:10 PM

14 storeys? no I'm sure this will get shut down and turned into a 3 storey building max. We all know that if we build something tall on the island its going to sink right? Thats gotta be why everything is so short here.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

Just down the road a 12-storey tower was approved, I believe, but never built.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

what do you know about this development? who is the developer, architect, etc? is this just an idea or have they prepared schematics and got zoning for the land.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:56 PM

The developer is Peter Dosanjh, architect is Eric Barker. The tower will have first reading later this month.

Know it all.

#6 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

Story in the Gazette

http://www.bclocalne...s/69714092.html

#7 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:20 PM

It's going somewhere in this block. Couldn't pinpoint it because the address given in the article was wrong, but Mike K. had the correct one.

Project architect Eric Barker said the West Shore needs more housing where seniors can “age in place,” and be close to shopping, amenities and transit. Staggering the building with different heights is a better fit to the neighourhood, he said, and stressed there would be aggressive tall tree planting around the property

I guess he will need some 100' trees in order to hide the building.

“We need higher buildings downtown,” agreed committee member Steve Harvey. “The building is a positive thing, although I wouldn’t want it beside (my house).”

A 'NIMBY' on the 'committee'.........

Committee chair Coun. Lillian Szpak told the audience the proposal fits within Langford’s official community plan, and that the city has no set height restrictions.

That's quite the 'plan' you have there. No plan at all.

Trying to convince a skeptical audience, Barker said the layout and landscaping would hide much of the building from nearby homes. A shadow-modeling animation demonstrated the closest building to the north would receive a fair amount of shadow in the winter.

I'm sorry, color me stupid, but how can landscaping hide a 100' building?

I'm finished my spiel, whatever, Langford is desperate for money. This will pass. Screw the neighbours. This is PROGRESS!

#8 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:42 PM

Well, there's nothing on TV and I have lots of whiskey so I will continue...I am zeroing in on the property in question:

No problems. With some clever landscaping, this 14 storey knob will fit right in.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:50 AM

I hate how development hearings in Victoria always focus on how they will make it so you won't see a building. They should instead focus on making it a nice 14 storey building. Sounds like a big improvement for Langford.

#10 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

I hate how development hearings in Victoria always focus on how they will make it so you won't see a building. They should instead focus on making it a nice 14 storey building. Sounds like a big improvement for Langford.

AMEN - Aside from Finlayson Reach up on BM and the half completed Highlander, I believe this would mark the first true tower on the West Shore to be built.

#11 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

I'd like to see minumum height requirements in both downtown Victoria and downtown Langford, with exceptions for buildings in Old Town, and right next to the water. I applaud Langford in not having maximum heights for their core. Regarding Trees, I don't know that they would "hide" the buildings persay, but a green canopy overhead makes things feel more friendly on the ground, and delineates a public realm on street level from the private realm up in the sky, much the same way a suburban fence does. If they get the street interface right on the first two stories, then to me that is more important than the number of floors.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#12 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

I'm sorry, color me stupid, but how can landscaping hide a 100' building

Well if your house is next door and your living room window is 6 feet agl, a 20 foot tree would obscure your view of the building quite nicely.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#13 fire stopper

fire stopper
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

A proposal for a 14-storey, 131-unit, seniors congregate care building has surfaced for 2771 Jacklin Rd. in Langford.

With the announced closure of Oak Bay Lodge Seniors and Tillicum Lodge We need this type of contruction. I only wish that there would be more construction of continuous multi level care such as at Selkirk.

#14 justaguy

justaguy

Yeah, that guy.

• 7 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

http://dosanjhmillar...m/whoweare.html

Here's a link to the developer's website. It's interesting to note that one of the owners sells Hot Tubs for a living as well. I wonder if they have to sell thier $2.99 Million house first to help finance this project in langford.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the link!

This is probably an early massing model:

Know it all.

#16 vicbc250

vicbc250
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

This photo is current and as you can see langford could realy use the density in the core, this building would make a great start to making a skyline for the city to:)

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:35 AM

2771 Jacklin – from 14 storeys, to 6-8
By Steven Hurdle, InsideLangford.ca
http://insidelangfor...storeys-to-6-8/

At tonight’s Langford Council Meeting, citing strong community opposition to the original 14 storey proposal, the developer’s time and money, and city hall staff’s time and effort, Lillian Szpak (representing the Planning, Zoning, and Affordable Housing Committee) recommended that the developer come back with a new proposal of 6-8 storeys. [...]

Know it all.

#18 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:00 PM

I live about a block and a half away, and would love to see this go ahead at 14 storeys. We need to start some density. I understand that there are a couple NIMBYs clearly it will kill their property value to some degree. Unless a developer wants to buy their lot for a future phase two. If we don't start going up, then we are going to have to start clear cutting some of the hills around here and build subdivisions with stupid road names like like cedar drive, cedar lane, cedar way (flash backs to getting lost in Calgary suburbs). Density in the core seems like the right move.

#19 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:51 PM

Langford rejects Jacklin Road tower proposal

Email Print Letter to Editor Share
OTHERS ALSO READ...
Goldstream News Gazette
14-storey seniors tower proposed for Langford
Fostering Langford Christmas cheer
Langford eyes emergency road to Bear Mountain
Langford versus regional planning
Remembrance Day in Langford
Text
By Edward Hill - Goldstream News Gazette

Published: November 17, 2009 12:00 PM
Updated: November 17, 2009 12:46 PM

Langford council quashed a proposed 14-storey tower on Jacklin Road that had nearby homeowners fearing they’d be lost in the shadows.

http://www.bclocalne...s/70299272.html

well that was fun for a week

#20 vicbc250

vicbc250
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

people need to thinkin behond themselfs and there own homes and think what a buildiong like this would do for the city they live in, I stress the word city because langford is not a farm town anymore its a city and should be treated like one

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users