• 1,262 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

that has to suck. It hasn't even been very windy lately either!!! hmmm

Poor person who owns that boat hey!!!

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:05 PM

Woah, that looks a lot like the mastless abandoned sailboat that was in Gonzo all summer but then got moved (or sank ha) I wonder if this is the same boat, moved, then finally sank. It wasn't in very good shape..
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:53 AM

There was a story on the news yesterday about a dude that stole a sailboat from the upper harbour, called the Johnson St. bridge operator on his cell to raise the bridge, took it out in the harbour where Transport Canada stopped him and unsuccessfully tried to give him a pamphlet on safe boat steering and he hasn't been seen since. Police are searching for him!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:27 PM

Guys....I have to leave town for a while.....ahhh...yeah.....mm --- gotta go.

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 13,113 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:22 PM

Two at a time sinking?

IMG_7390.jpg

• Baro likes this

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 11,492 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:55 AM

Yeah they have been that way for a couple of weeks.

Check out some of the amazing urban art in North Park! http://www.sidewalki...north-park.html

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 13,113 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

Yeah they have been that way for a couple of weeks.

Longer, and nobody seems to care about possible pollution from fuel or oil leaks.

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 13,113 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:32 AM

Not my responsibility?

Two sunken boats creating an eyesore for Oak Bay residents will remain where they are for the foreseeable future. Since the boats don’t get in the way of navigation, Transport Canada has no plans to intervene, a spokeswoman said. C-Tow Victoria owner Tim Johnston, an Oak Bay resident, said he reported the wrecks off Oak Bay Marina in mid-March. A powerboat is partially submerged, while only a sailboat’s mast is above water. They are tied to the same buoy and owned by the same man, he said. -

Johnston, whose business is a marine-towing service, offered to refloat the boats so they can be salvaged or dumped.

He was told by the Receiver of Wrecks, an officer of Transport Canada, that the owner has 90 days to come forward, he said. The Receiver of Wrecks acts as a custodian of a “wreck,” in the absence of a rightful owner.

However, Transport Canada has since investigated and found removal unnecessary.

Johnston said he met the powerboat’s previous owner and warned him against using the buoy. About a month later, the boat washed up on Mary Tod Island, Johnston said.

The current owner salvaged the boat, with the former owner’s permission, and lived on one of the boats. Johnston said he has since been told by community members that the owner became ill, which may be why he hasn’t returned to claim them.

Johnston believes there was a small gasoline slick around the boat when it sank, but said it would have evaporated quickly. There was also likely about three to four litres of engine oil on board, but he said he hasn’t seen any oil slicks.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.w5w1ABlg.dpuf

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,480 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:48 AM

Way to go, Bingo.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 13,113 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:24 AM

A 40-foot sailboat that sank off Oak Bay Marina on Monday has about 100 litres of diesel on board that is leaking into the bay.

The company tasked with recovering the vessel said this is the second time the owner has had a boat sink due to “poor maintenance and neglect.”

Steve Sinclair, manager for the Oak Bay Marine Group, said the boat’s owner was not paying mooring fees to the marina, but it was moored in the bay.

Johnston said the sailboat was not insured. That means the owner will have to foot the bill for raising the vessel and the cleanup costs, which could be tens of thousands of dollars.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.DEFfLOfQ.dpuf

#14 weisguy86

weisguy86
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

From C-tow Victoria:

Regarding the 47' sailboat sunk in Oak Bay, fresh absorbent booms are in place, old ones bagged for proper disposal, very little diesel coming up now, and plans to remove it seem to be going ahead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users