- - - - -

Pacific Undersea Gardens

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

But it would be a bridge to nowhere unless they put a restaurant on it.

If not a restaurant then at least some open space. The lack of open space on the Undersea Gardens' platform has always been an issue.

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

Floating homeless shelter / needle exchange anyone?

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:36 PM

How about our own floating McDonald's?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:00 PM

We could probably get the Expo one cheap if it is still rusting away in Burrard inlet.

#25 IanHunter250

IanHunter250
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:31 AM

UG has always been just as lame as it is now, it just seems like it used to be better because everything seems better when your a kid

#26 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

A fish prison.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

WTF?

Photo is "Orpheus" in Victoria, B.C.

Oct 9, 1971
Courtesy of Rick Horne
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

1971 I'm guessing.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

That's trippy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:43 PM

Red octopus on the roof. That was back when building codes allowed rooftop octopi. Hmmmm, turns out the word "octopi" might not be correct.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

It was taken down because it blocked views of the Sooke Hills. And Check out the smog over the city.

Victoria sure was a "breath of fresh air" back when it was unspoiled by new downtown condos and the only things blocking views of Sooke Hills were pleasant things like fuel silos, warehouses and plastic octopi/octopuses. Oh Victoria, when did you stray from your beautiful quaint roots?

Know it all.

#32 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

Interesting article in the T-C this morning (http://www.timescolo...7761/story.html) about some proposed, and potentially interesting changes to that floating "landmark" of the inner harbour, our beloved Undersea Gardens. Here's a link to the architect's website that shows some conceptual images: Undersea Gardens | Chow Low Hammond

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

It seems like CLH is the go-to firm for Inner Harbour architecture these days, having created designs for the marina buildings and the proposed seaplane terminal.

I declare the destruction of the old Gardens unlikely as it's probably the last remaining piece of authentic floating googie architecture.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

I can also already hear cries of the desecration of a piece of Victoria's heritage (lol). This is the sort of "avant-garde" design one might expect in Vancouver and gawd-knows we don't want that. The concept drawings make me think of both the Sydney Opera House and some of the more cutting edge designs in London. If we aim to be more British than Britain shouldn't we be emulating what's going on there today?

#35 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

That design would go well with the new bridge.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

If we aim to be more British than Britain shouldn't we be emulating what's going on there today?

#37 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

Am I the only one that finds The Undersea Gardens as not only tacky to look at, but the 'experience' is ridiculously priced for the sub-par experience that it is... It is dark, dreary, barely any fish species to look at... And it appears the majority of their focus is on gifts and crap that you must walk through in order to exit...?

And to further the tackiness, we were in some town in Oregon (or was it Washington state?) and they had the Exact. Same. Apparatus. being used in the same manner.

I, for one, would be quite happy for it to find another home *or* undergo a substantial exterior reno but also a significant upgrade to its offerings as an experience, otherwise it is an embarassment to anyone I know that visits Victoria.

"Give Pacific Undersea Gardens a wide pass" is always my advice to any tourist that asks or will listen.

#38 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

Nope I have been asking for its sinking for many years. It is crap and don't know how they get away with it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Nope I have been asking for its sinking for many years. It is crap and don't know how they get away with it.

I don't understand the negativity. They have a lease. I can think of dozens of retail operations that I personally think are worse run. I also think that the place is magical for kids. They love it! And it makes lots of money, it's been around forever.

#40 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

^It's an embarrassment to the city. It has 2 out of 5 on Tripadvisor .

Because of its prominent location, it gives the impression as being endorsed by the locals and local government. This makes me cringe.

Fortunately the days are numbered for businesses such as these because of the internet. It's only a matter of time.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users