Photo

Freedom Mobile in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#81 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

Just saw that Shaw has (finally) purchased Wind.

Shaw has been rumoured to be getting into the wireless game here and there for years through the various spectrum auctions.

This should be good news for consumers in the short-term.

http://business.fina...__lsa=f479-8a81

Edited by jonny, 16 December 2015 - 04:20 PM.

• todd likes this

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:26 PM

Yes, that in my opinion would be good news.

I mean, it would be better if it was a company with deep pockets that did not already serve up cable/internet or phone, but it's not bad. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:03 PM

http://www.thestar.c...per-phone-rates

Although they do not yet have towers in Victoria, they do have an agreement with Rogers to piggy-back on their equipment, so the deals will be here very soon.

Looks like WIND currently only has towers in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Windsor, Toronto, Kingston, Ottawa.

Still just piggybacking off only Rogers in Victoria?

http://www.ertyu.org...ncellsites.html

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:32 PM

^ I think so.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:11 AM

So Shaw is essentially paying $1700 per customer to get Wind's 940,000 customers.

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:20 AM

Why did they wait for the Cons to lose power, and why did they make the acquisition just before the end of the year?

Is there more to the timing of all of this than meets the eye?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#87 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:37 PM

This should be good news for consumers in the short-term.

http://business.fina...__lsa=f479-8a81

How do you figure? Have you ever been a Shaw customer? :P

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#88 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:57 PM

My son is a Wind customer in Toronto, and he reports it is pretty spotty service. Perhaps it will improve with some of Shaw's money.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#89 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:27 PM

How do you figure? Have you ever been a Shaw customer? :P

Yes, and I thought Shaw was fine for a cable company.

Shaw has the capital and wherewithal to actually maybe expand, whereas Wind has been stuck in first gear for years. We could, for example, actually see a Wind/Shaw cell presence on Vancouver Island. Or, maybe they remain a niche player. We'll see. 

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:11 AM

Shaw has the capital and wherewithal to actually maybe expand, whereas Wind has been stuck in first gear for years. We could, for example, actually see a Wind/Shaw cell presence on Vancouver Island. Or, maybe they remain a niche player. We'll see. 

Word is Wind will be in Victoria this fall.

#91 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:38 PM

How long until Wind is known as Shaw?

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

How long until Wind is known as Shaw?

A name change is widely anticipated for sure.  Honestly I'm not sure it'll be Shaw though.  Surely the experts are not telling them that brand carries trust, and an image of cutting-edge, smart technology.  But, it would not be the first time executives have not listened.

I'd rate brand strength in my mind as:

Bell

Telus

Rogers

Shaw

... but that might just be me and have a personal or regional bias.

We'll see. 

#93 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:08 PM

The name Wind Mobile blows.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:21 AM

‘A fresh start’: Wind rebranded as Freedom Mobile, promises to free customers from contracts

http://business.fina...r-a-fresh-start

#95 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:24 AM

Shaw wants "millions and millions of subscribers" for Freedom, so hopefully will be finally expanding here. 

http://business.fina...wireless-market

#96 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

The other big news that really helps Freedom and other small carriers is that the CRTC has banned carrier locking, effective December 1. You can get your phone unlocked for free after that and new ones must come unlocked.

Edited by lanforod, 15 June 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#97 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:26 AM

I saw a freedom mobile van on the road the other day. Could be a clue

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

Cellphone reliability remains a problem in some areas of Sooke, but the municipality doesn’t believe a new telecommunications tower is the answer.

Sooke council has voted against supporting an application by Freedom Mobile to build a 50-metre tower in the 5000 block of Sooke Road.

Mayor Maja Tait, who voted against the application at Monday’s council meeting, said the towers could be built without Sooke’s approval, but that wouldn’t be ideal.

“I do appreciate what Freedom is trying to do in terms of service,” she said. “The challenge is the impact it has on the neighbourhood.”

http://www.peninsula...for-cell-tower/

#99 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

"Several Glinz Road residents oppose the application, citing health, aesthetics, and property value signs. They also presented a 20-name petition against the tower’s construction to council."

Hope the mayor doesn't end up having her or her family involved in a head crash with devastating injuries and death that require an emergency response...but the response is delayed in those affected area because no one can get a cell signal.People pay a 911 service charge on each  bill and this should be a requirement to build towers in area with no service.. It has now become a right not a extracurricular service.

As for aesthetic they could easily build a tower that looks like a tree...they have one at the Blaine side of the border crossing and in many other cities.

• jonny likes this

#100 Darren14

Darren14
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

Yes, Freedom is coming to Victoria in 2018, and the Shaw Uptown call center is transitioning into a Freedom call center by the end of 2017. 

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users