BUILT
The Hudson Mews
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 780 Fisgard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 12
The Hudson Mews is a 12-storey rental tower with ground floor commercial space. Developed by Vancouver- and Ri... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Hudson Mews on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Hudson Mews | Rentals | HBC redevelopment; Phase II | 12-storeys | Built - completed in 2014

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
530 replies to this topic

#41 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

I think they are starting the base part of the new side of the old hudson building.

#42 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:15 PM

They had better not be starting work on the Hudson Mews without a public tender.

I wonder why you would be concerned whether the project was tendered, as opposed to negotiated?

#43 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:21 PM

The deal would never have been contemplated in the first place had there been a possibility the work would go to a competitor.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#44 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:28 PM

The deal would never have been contemplated in the first place had there been a possibility the work would go to a competitor.

Hence my question. If it went to tender, would that not open it up for competition? I must be missing the point.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:20 AM

Hence my question. If it went to tender, would that not open it up for competition? I must be missing the point.

Townline owned the land. A condition of the sale was that they got the construction contract. There was never the possibility of a open tender based on the deal that was struck.

#46 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:31 AM

Edit

#47 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:58 AM

Townline owned the land. A condition of the sale was that they got the construction contract. There was never the possibility of a open tender based on the deal that was struck.

Thanks VHF, that clears up my confusion.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

Perhaps concorde knows something we don't?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

I wonder why you would be concerned whether the project was tendered, as opposed to negotiated?

Well, last time i checked Townline was the DEVELOPER of this project. I'd be concerned about a negotiated contract in this situation as this is PUBLIC money, therefore all aspects of this project from mechanical, to piles, to formwork should be put out to tender for a competitive process ensuring the best value of the dollar to this TAX PAYER funded project.

#50 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:45 PM

Well, last time i checked Townline was the DEVELOPER of this project. I'd be concerned about a negotiated contract in this situation as this is PUBLIC money, therefore all aspects of this project from mechanical, to piles, to formwork should be put out to tender for a competitive process ensuring the best value of the dollar to this TAX PAYER funded project.

I agree completely. The key to this is Townline WAS the developer, and now the developer for this building is the Province of British Columbia thru BC Housing. As far as I am concerned Townline has no further involvement in this one building.

#51 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:20 AM

^
Back on the first page I'd posted a TC article.
http://www.vibrantvi...78&postcount=25
This is exactly what's happened, and it was done behind closed doors.

It's a clever model. But in the interests of openness, the news release might have noted that TL Housing is also a Ilich company, with Rick IIich's wife Lauren as the president.

The fact that the developer selling the land is benefiting from a $32-million untendered construction contract should have been acknowledged.

But a better public process is needed for these kinds of projects. Ordinarily, a public project would go to tender so taxpayers would know they were getting the best value. This one was all arranged behind closed doors.

So who's behind those closed doors?

#52 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:35 AM

All I want is the building to get built,not really to concerned if townline is doing it.

#53 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:20 AM

All I want is the building to get built,not really to concerned if townline is doing it.

I'd be damn concerned, and I am, with the fact that 32 Million dollars of taxpayers dollar was just handed to what is essentially Townline to build and building, when quite possibly w/a competitive bidding process we wouldn't be spending 32 million, but quite possibly less, because lets face it, I highly doubt Towline would have been able to secure the monetary financing from a bank to building this tower in this climate.

#54 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

But we get a tower there and more people living downtown seems like a win to me.

#55 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

But we get a tower there and more people living downtown seems like a win to me.

*cough*, I really hope you are joking! If that is the kinda attitude a business displayed you'd get hosed by your suppliers and contractors. Density at the price of a competitive bidding process involving public money is NOT acceptable, regardless of the end result. It is essentially favoring one company over another, that is not the model to which our country is supposed to run. There are NUMEROUS developers and contractors with FAR better track records that Townline and TL Housing that could have undertaken a project involving 32 million to build affordable housing.

#56 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:40 PM

It's a win for townline that is for sure. It's a 'win' for the City in that they get much needed rentals, at not necessarily the lowest cost. It's a loss for any other developer that might have had a competing bid. It's also a loss for anyone else competing with townline with townline in the condo market or for trades that don't have the luxury of getting a bailout.

What's the over under on this project being competed on time and on budget?

#57 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:58 PM

It's a win for townline that is for sure. It's a 'win' for the City in that they get much needed rentals, at not necessarily the lowest cost. It's a loss for any other developer that might have had a competing bid. It's also a loss for anyone else competing with townline with townline in the condo market or for trades that don't have the luxury of getting a bailout.

What's the over under on this project being competed on time and on budget?

Thats a good way to put it...Bailout for Townline, so, I guess we, in the Province of BC are in the business of bailing out rich developers who get in over there head, wow, this truly is the "Best Place on Earth"

#58 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

G-Man I hope you are joking too. That's a pretty naive attitude in the face of what's transpired here.
Obviously no one wants a project stalled, but what you're saying is we'll turn a blind eye to our province, city and a developer making unethical deals?
This was done behind closed doors when it rightfully should have gone to public tender.
We should all have an issue with that as taxpayers.

This was simply a bailout disguised as 'affordable' housing. It stinks.

#59 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

Nope I am not joking. 32 million seems ok for a 12 storey tower if the Falls cost 3 times that.

I am just a sucker for density and a well designed street interaction, how we get to that point is kind of like sausages.

#60 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

I'm with G-man on this.

Ends > Means in this case.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users