Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#41 OMGTisdale

OMGTisdale
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:49 PM

I've taken an interest on this topic since I noticed the congestion while working (I deliver pizza's).

Anyone coming out of Admirals just east of the Gorge intersection has a 25 minute wait during peak times.

Anyone who stays in the right lane on McKenzie has a 15 minute wait west of the Carey intersection just to get to the Burnside intersection.

Crossing the highway North / South during rush times are really bad too. Not as long as 15-25 minutes, but it's got to be irritating for the people living in the western communities who work in the city and have to deal with this commute everyday.

Also looking at the road structure if the left turn lanes were removed along with the island between Tillicum - McKenzie with widening done North of that, a third lane could easily be added to accommodate AM / PM rush. This would be another benefit of an interchange.

I don't consider myself to be very good with politics so it's quite hazy for me to understand why an interchange hasn't been constructed yet considering this intersection is only going to become more congested as the western communities become more developed. From other reading I see that the Mayor of Langford has been responsible for the delay with the Spencer Rd. interchange, meaning that the Mayor of Saanich must play some role in this, right?

Then I found this:
(http://www.canada.co...2a-bec700134a28)

While Sihota said Saanich council also opposed the interchange, Mayor Frank Leonard said that wasn't the case.
"We never had a chance to be for or against," Leonard said. "I don't think we were ever in the loop, other than being told by Andrew [Petter, former cabinet minister and NDP MLA for Saanich South] that it was not an option. They were not going into Cuthbert Holmes Park. He was quite proud of that."

I think Saanich council should step up and work the the provincial government to make this happen rather than just keep their mouths shut. The lack of initiative by Saanich council is quite disgraceful when they are spending tax money on minor things while ignoring the big issue.

#42 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

Of the 150 cars going in to town, only 2 had more than one passenger. Statistics tell me that about 5/8ths of those people work in some public capacity. I say all government workers should be MADE to take public transportation.

I have noticed a big change in traffic pattens since school and university is back. McKenzie, Shelbourne and Foul Bay Road are all busier heading to UVIC in the morning. As for schools many kids get driven to and from, which was not the case a few decades back.

I don't think it is government workers, but if traffic is lighter on Fridays, well...

#43 PulpVictor

PulpVictor

PulpVictor

• Suspended User
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:40 AM

I think it's like a 60's apocalyptic horror film....all of the drones, alone in their pods, stuck in traffic for a good part of their day...every day a bit more clogged...until Friday!!! Yay! We can go up Island for the day....and are stuck in traffic for 3 hours on thier merry way.

#44 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

As a temporary measure they should change the traffic light duration so that morning inbound traffic has a Ten minute green light for the left turn lane and straight trough. This would alleviate the constant stop and go, however this may upset people in outbound traffic, but then why should they be exempt from delays. Not only that ; misery loves company.

#45 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:10 PM

Absolutely, but it pales in comparison to the congestion and traffic flow of HWY1 and McKenzie and/or Admirals.

Until at least McKenzie is dealt with, no money will be available for Beacon, and even then Admirals would likely win out.

Just my 2 cents, of course.

I agree, Hwy 1 and McKenzie/Admirals is in desparate need of an interchange, and in my opinion was much more important that the Airport interchange. Personally I wish this interchange was the subject of the federal election, but I doubt that will happen.

#46 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

Absolutely, but it pales in comparison to the congestion and traffic flow of HWY1 and McKenzie and/or Admirals.

Until at least McKenzie is dealt with, no money will be available for Beacon, and even then Admirals would likely win out.

Just my 2 cents, of course.

I'd hardly think voting for the "right" person won't have a effect on this. While I was out of the country during the last federal election but wasn't the CON candidate promising federal dollars for mckenzie/admirals interchange?

#47 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

I'd hardly think voting for the "right" person won't have a effect on this. While I was out of the country during the last federal election but wasn't the CON candidate promising federal dollars for mckenzie/admirals interchange?

I don't think he was promising fed dollars, I think then, as now, he is pushing for it as his most urgent project.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#48 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

Personally I wish this interchange was the subject of the federal election, but I doubt that will happen.

Isn't the Hwy1/McKenzie overpass basically Troy Desouza's campaign platform?

http://troydesouza.c...y-i-am-running/

#49 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

Isn't the Hwy1/McKenzie overpass basically Troy Desouza's campaign platform?

http://troydesouza.c...y-i-am-running/

It is an it is the reason I would vote for him if I lived in his riding. I will be helping him a bit. We need that interchange 20 years ago.

#50 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

Troy Desouza, Conservative candidate in the May 2011 federal election, is banking on the support of Esquimalt Juan de Fuca constituents for his plans to bring an interchange to this intersection. His whole campaign revolves around this issue.

If I lived in that riding he would get my vote just on that issue.

But this is one project that would make sense for all the municipalities to join in on. Everyone uses that intersection at some point, but not everyone needs to use the new bridge over the harbour.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

Wouldn't the interchange fall under the jurisdiction of the federal and provincial governments? I.e., no one municipality would be expected to pay an equal share?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

Wouldn't the interchange fall under the jurisdiction of the federal and provincial governments? I.e., no one municipality would be expected to pay an equal share?

I'm not sure, but if federal money from the stimulus program had been applied for, we may have has some success at only having to pay one third of the money. Assuming the interchange cost to be $45 million. Then if the province pays a third, and the CRD pays a third, we would be talking about the same $15 million to keep rail on the new bridge.

#53 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

If I lived in that riding he would get my vote just on that issue.

But this is one project that would make sense for all the municipalities to join in on. Everyone uses that intersection at some point, but not everyone needs to use the new bridge over the harbour.

This is my riding, i can't say I would base my vote on something like this issue. I can't say driving the crawl is really all that bad, I use to even deliver pizza in it two years ago.

I'm always cynical about decreasing the friction of distance in such a manner...

#54 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

This is my riding, i can't say I would base my vote on something like this issue. I can't say driving the crawl is really all that bad,

At least Desouza is standing up for something.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

Reading over some recent BC infrastructure project backgrounders, it seems that the feds and province pay for highway upgrades that serve a common good.

The case of the Langford interchange had little to do with regional infrastructure and more to do with opening up private development potential, therefore government dollars were very limited. With the airport, costs were shared by the province, feds and the airport authority to primarily benefit traffic flow to/from the airport. Neither the municipality (N. Saanich?) nor the CRD had any part of the funding equation.

Given Desouza's one goal slate, he's likely to get the feds on board and the province will inevitably follow. The CRD won't have a financial stake in the project at all, I don't think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

At least Desouza is standing up for something.

Yep, his website is also full of "stands" like:

I believe that getting guns out of the hands of gangs and drug dealers is more important than registering legal ones.

Umm, OK, does anyone disagree with that? You can look that one up in the dictionary under "false dichotomy". Or is he implying that registering guns somehow enables gangs in getting guns?

If people vote for this clown just because he would fight for an interchange, they deserve what they ask for.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

- Aside -

To discuss Desouza's campaign and to keep this thread focused on the McKenzie interchange project, please refer to the dedicated 2011 federal election thread here. Discussing Desouza with respect to his position on the interchange, and only the interchange, is ok, but anything else we'll have to moderate.

Thanks you'se :)

Know it all.

#58 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

I just hope that the Mckenzie interchange doesnt trump needed transit improvements.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

The interchange is as much a benefit to transit operations as it is to commercial and private traffic.

Know it all.

#60 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:54 AM

Jack Knox: Harper defers to locals on McKenzie interchange

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1IBmcIGlx

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users