Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#1321 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

I like to read all posts as we continue to learn more about ourselves and how we respond to the news of the day.

I don't think it is possible to totally ignore a post as it will show up again when someone quotes that person with a rebuttal.

Just exchanging an opinion, which has something to do with an interchange...just to get back on topic.

• http likes this

#1322 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

Drove by today ... turning right of Mckenzie onto highway ... forms and steal going up !!!

Edited by 2F2R, 18 March 2017 - 01:16 PM.

#1323 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

Drove by today ... turning right of Mckenzie onto highway ... forms and steal going up !!!

That might be more prophetic than you meant.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1324 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:34 AM

I think we might want to point people at the "ignore" functionality. It's remarkably effective. I haven't read an HB post in months.

WHERE? Please tell me this isn't a joke. I've been asking for one for over a year!

#1325 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:55 AM

WHERE? Please tell me this isn't a joke. I've been asking for one for over a year!

A similar question was asked here.

http://vibrantvictor...-47#entry373342

#1326 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:06 AM

In the field below the schoolyard.

#1327 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:55 PM

I know it's off topic,but one rainy fall day my friend and I paddled a canoe on Colquits river from Panama flats all the way to the inner harbour. The water was so high under the bridge by Tch and the mall that we had to lay on our backs and push the canoe down using our feet against the underside of the deck so that we could complete the journey without portageing . I believe that any tidal influence on Colqits river ends near the movie theatre.
  • Bingo likes this

#1328 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

That's pretty cool, ressen. The last time I was passing through Cuthbert Holmes there was a guy kayaking the river.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1329 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

https://news.gov.bc....TRAN0160-001048

Work on the first contract for the McKenzie interchange project has passed the halfway mark, and the second and final construction tender will be posted to BC Bid later this spring.

Crews working under the first contract are currently:

• placing preload materials to compress the existing soft soils, which will minimize future settlement following construction. Drains enabling vertical drainage have been installed to release groundwater and help speed up the soil settling process;
  • drilling and blasting;
  • building the retaining walls to support the Galloping Goose overpass; and,
  • widening and realigning the Galloping Goose Trail and beginning construction of the new pedestrian and cyclist bridge over McKenzie Avenue.

Upcoming work will involve relocating the waterline once the new pipe arrives in the coming weeks, and starting to build the temporary pedestrian bridge over the highway.

The second round of work will begin in summer 2017 on the remaining activities that include lowering the Trans-Canada Highway, constructing the ramps, overpass, and new pedestrian and cyclist bridge over the highway, as well as the final landscaping.

#1330 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

Latest Photos:

https://flic.kr/p/SWJSpu

Edited by malahatdrive, 05 April 2017 - 09:18 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1331 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

They are paving a section of the former shoulder/grass on the east side of McKenzie today, just north of the interchange.  I believe this is to reroute the 2 northbound travel lanes around from the middle of McKenzie, where they'll need to install concrete supports for the Galloping Goose bridge.

The Goose bridge will be in by end of summer or so and will sit for a few months for the approaches to it on each side to finish preload settling.

• Mike K. likes this

#1332 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:32 AM

McKenzie has been realigned to clear out the formerly right turn lane onto the TCH. A section of this will be drilled for the columns holding the new Goose overpass. My guess is 4 columns where the white marks as in the last photo. They're also placing crush for the Goose east of the interchange.

Sorry about rotation I'm on mobile.

Attached Images

• IMG_3846.JPG
  • IMG_3847.JPG
  • IMG_3848.JPG
  • IMG_3849.JPG

Edited by nagel, 19 April 2017 - 08:33 AM.

• gkz likes this

#1333 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

IMG_7181.JPG

#1334 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:53 PM

Are they working overnight on this project? Mainly just at night? 24 hours?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1335 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

Are they working overnight on this project?...

I think so. I seem to recall a recent story in the news about complaints from neighbours. Of course this being Victoria, that could have been just about any news story not specifically the McKenzie project.

• DavidSchell likes this

#1336 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:27 PM

All day and night. They take some days off like Sundays and holidays. Lane closures only at night. Right now westshore bound one lane is closed. They blast at 8pm and sometimes a bit later but never past 915. Excavators and dump trucks run all night long. Doesn't bother me I'm far enough away but others are losing their minds.

#1337 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:14 PM

http://www.saanichne...-admirals-road/

Saanich residents call for traffic calming measures on Admirals Road

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1338 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

OMG....."traffic calming".  Why do we keep pretending major thoroughfares are country lanes?  We just spent millions on an overpass.....so lets spend millions more sticking objects in the way of the traffic.

Edited by On the Level, 25 April 2017 - 08:06 PM.

• Nparker and rjag like this

#1339 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:33 PM

Residents who wish to access Portage Road off Highway 1 must travel down Admiral Road, then turn up hill onto Esson Road.

“The turn of well over 90 degrees from Admirals [Road] and then up hill into Esson [Road] is especially dangerous for cyclists,” said Norman Bruce, a Skeena Place resident.

Cyclists must perform this turn, all while signalling and slowing down as they come down Admiral Road, said Bruce.

Cars travelling down Admirals Road meanwhile naturally accelerate as they come down the hill. “This makes it even more difficult and dangerous as they (cyclists) are trying to stick out their arms and break at the same time now that the entry at Portage Road is blocked off,” he said.

Cars meanwhile turning off Admirals Road onto Esson often cut across the bike lane running down the right-hand side of Admiral, thereby endangering cyclists or other drivers, said Blogg.

As for traffic heading up Admirals Road, it has to stop in middle traffic to let the cyclists pass across the entrance of Esson Road, said Bruce.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-04-25-21-29-43.png

Surely the small amount of traffic that have to make that turn are already familiar with it, no?  Especially bikes.

I also don't think many bikes signal a right tun lol.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1340 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:50 PM

So the solution solution is to slow ALL traffic down to accommodate the handful of cyclists making a turn here?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users