Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#1341 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:54 PM

So the solution solution is to slow ALL traffic down to accommodate the handful of cyclists making a turn here?

Well, Saanich Council did try to stop the overpass as it didn't have enough "Saanich Focus".  

They would be still sniveling even if it was single lane alternating.....  

#1342 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

The battle might have been lost but the war is far from over. I think that just about sums it up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1343 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:25 AM

The battle might have been lost but the war is far from over. I think that just about sums it up.

Fair enough....no-one like traffic increases.

So the solution solution is to slow ALL traffic down to accommodate the handful of cyclists making a turn here?

There is already bike lanes on both sides of Admirals so I just don't see the argument being made for traffic calming.  That right hand turn is easily navigated on a bike.  If you can't turn right on your bike here, you should re-evaluate your ability to ride your bike anywhere on public roads.  If you're worried about getting hit on Esson Rd, then they could put a speed bump across the entire road to slow down traffic entering it, but leave Admirals alone.  

Attached Images

• Untitled-2.jpg

Edited by On the Level, 26 April 2017 - 04:27 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1344 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:29 AM

I don't understand the scenario they're describing from a cyclist's point of view.  If, in October 2018 I was to use the car overpass to cross the highway, and wanted to go to Portage, I'd just bike through the crosswalk where the bus stop is going.  No cyclist ever will bike down the hill, then up Esson, to get back essentially where they already were.  If I was to do it now (during construction) I'd just skirt around the fencing that's up at the JB site headquarters, again still avoiding going down and up.  I've already done this once.

That being said I don't particularly enjoy biking on the totality of Admirals from the interchange to the Craigflower bridge.  It is still a speeding paradise.  I'd like to see the bike lanes improved on at some point, to full cycle tracks, but that's a ways down my personal Saanich priority list.

#1345 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:36 AM

Now that I'm seeing that image I'm laughing.  Bikes have to brake, as well as signal that right turn?  I bet I could stand there all summer and not see one bike signal their right onto Esson.

I think Portage homeowners want the traffic slowed to make it a bit easier for them to exit by car.  "Bike" is just to dress it up a bit for council.

• Nparker and rjag like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1346 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:40 AM

Yep I don't think bikes have anything to do with this one.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1347 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:52 AM

Yep I don't think bikes have anything to do with this one.

People have learned that if you veil your concerns in the "cycling" mantra you have a much better chance of getting what you want, no questions asked. If this doesn't work, I imagine the locals may suggest traffic needs to be slowed down to allow the homeless to navigate the area.

#1348 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

Gotta get your virtue signalling right if you hope to accomplish anything.

• RFS likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1349 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

Whatever happened to that View Royal street that wanted their own remote control gate?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1350 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:18 PM

Would that have been in the Thetis/Highlands Park area?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1351 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

No it's the Stormont area by the school by Helmcken near "downtown View Royal"

#1352 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

pretty sure the Mayor brushed off the complaints

#1353 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

Oh yeah! Lol...

Know it all.

#1354 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

Phase 2 of McKenzie Interchange project out to tender. Closes on June 13th.

Edited by malahatdrive, 28 April 2017 - 12:39 PM.

#1355 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

Oh oh, the link says "bad referrer."

Know it all.

#1356 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

Highway 1 in the District of Saanich at the intersection of Highway 1 and McKenzie Avenue, British Columbia, Canada.  

Description: Phase 2 construction of a new Interchange at Admirals Road and McKenzie Avenue and Highway 1. Roadway excavation with on-Site and off-Site disposal, supply and placement of granular materials, design construct and maintain temporary detour works, design and construction of proprietary MSE Walls, construction of Portage Road pedestrian overpass and McKenzie Avenue Highway 1 underpass, asphalt paving, design supply and install sound walls, landscape works.
  • Mike K. likes this

#1357 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

“No one seems to understand or care to rectify this and a whole neighbourhood is suffering from sleep deprivation.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.yuWdRg2E.dpuf

First world problem.

• Nparker likes this

#1358 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

No one seems to understand or care to rectify this...

Actually, it is being rectified by completing the overpass. In 18 months the problem will be solved.

#1359 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:47 AM

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.yuWdRg2E.dpuf

First world problem.

yes for sure....someone should called then the waaaambulance

• Nparker likes this

#1360 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

A $2 set of earplugs works like a dream.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users