Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#881 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:06 PM

Nice view of Tillicum Drive In

#882 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

Wow so admirals and admirals really did connect back in the day.

#883 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:14 PM

When the TCH was only a 2 lane road as in that picture there we dozens of roads that entered the highway and crossed it such as Admirals did.

Wilkinson,Grange Helmcken then out in Langford a few that I can remember off hand were Brock,Deville, Matson,Brock,Florence Lake

Before TCH was built and Gorge Rd was the main road north,

Countless properties were expropriated, From Town and Country to Tillicum

All of those roads that the highway passes used to go right from Carey Rd through to Harriet and Boleskine.

Edited by HB, 22 February 2016 - 10:29 PM.

#884 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:19 PM

Sorry for the delay. 1975 and 1979 as requested.

Nice shots.  Any more from the area from around that time? :) 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#885 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:49 PM

I'll be heading to the public event today. Anyone else headed that way?

#886 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

I'll be heading to the public event today. Anyone else headed that way?

I don't think I can make it, with swimming lessons and single dadding it tonight with 3 kids.  Maybe I'll give it a go and let everyone listen to my crazy kids while I'm there!

#887 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:13 PM

I'll try to be there right at 3:30. It's at the Catholic school, yes?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#888 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

I'll try to be there right at 3:30. It's at the Catholic school, yes?

yes the room behind the church like in fall.

#889 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:20 PM

Cool. Thx.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#890 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

I'll be a bit later. Post if it is worthwhile!

#891 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

https://engage.gov.b...play-Boards.pdf

On ramp from Burnside is dead.

#892 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:26 PM

Here's the skinny: http://victoria.citi...change-project/

• 57WestHills likes this

Know it all.

#893 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:46 PM

Observations:

- IMO option 2 is realistically the only way to go. Option 1 seems like a throw away.
- there was no bike parking accessible at the event. I walked like 500 meters to use the schools bike rack. Sounds trivial but seriously these events should be accessible to everyone with some ease. But whatever.
- the portion of the park they potentially would eliminate for option 2 is used by drug dealers and sex trade workers. While I don't spend anytime of significance myself there it wouldn't be a loss to the community as far as I see.
- everyone there was unhappy about something. I was happy how many comments there were about the designs catering to cars with buses, light rail, walkers, bikers being an afterthought. That said the Goose overpass seems nice enough.
- the staff there were accommodating and helpful. Spoke to the Mayir briefly. Seemed very engaged.
- no word on Burnside which makes the discussion academic to a certain point because congestion will be so bad there.

#894 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

Speaking of which, there was literally no parking, either. I arrived at 2:45 and managed to park in a no-parking zone only because of the Citified Sonic (nobody messes with the Citified Sonic).

• sebberry and lanforod like this

Know it all.

#895 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:15 PM

I parked my cargo bike literally inside the room. Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
  • Mike K. likes this

#896 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:38 PM

I parked my cargo bike literally inside the room. Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

What'd your kids talk about?

#897 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:39 PM

What'd your kids talk about?

I bombed down there for 315 and they were open so I did it pre kids. In laws were there though. Grandpa loves option 2.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#898 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:49 PM

Having lived in N.Saanich for 24 years before moving "downtown", i must say.... ANY plan is better than Gary Lunn's abomination at McTavish Road.

#899 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:03 PM

unfortunately i couldnt make the open house, i had a chemistry class to attend. I did see the online versions of the display boards.  I see that improvements in terms of transit, cycling and pedestrians was made (slightly). I had a talk to an acquaintance of mine on facebook a whlle back and he mentioned that as a transit user (and sometimes cyclists) my life is a small sacrifice when it comes to accommodating the automobile. Always nice to hear that. (eyes rolling).

Anywhoo, I did offer to submit a bus shelter design for the interchange to BC Transit and the Ministry.

#900 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

The transit options suck pretty bad at the interchange. The southbound one on TCH shares the off ramp with right turn vehicles and it looks like it will be a mess. Also if you want to connect you have to use the 2 overpasses which is one hell of a detour.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users