Victoria Car Shares

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

I think there is an element of population/business density as well. Not that I have a clue what the distribution of car share members actually is I would guess that it mirrors the density patterns of the urban areas. Despite the growth in the Western Communities they are still, IMO, distinctly suburban. Given the design of the western communities, part-time ownership of a car seems impractical. There may be some diehards who can function without regular vehicle access but that number must be far lower than in the core. I mean, taking the bus to Westshore Mall is inconvenient as hell, I could not imagine trying to use public transport to commute.

Look at how crazy that Sooke bus is every morning, tons of married halfs that have no car.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

Plenty of people commute from the west shore but many of them drive to the bus stop or to a transit exchange park-and-ride. Unless you have a car on the west shore you're limited to only a few select areas that have transit from 6AM to midnight.

• tedward likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

Victoria Car Share is merging with Modo.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:55 AM

Modo vehicles will launch in Victoria in April, equipped with Modo’s on-board technology and bookable via Modo’s proprietary booking software, Engage. With members able to book vehicles on both sides of the Strait, Modo can study the feasibility of placing cars at the Tsawwassen and Swartz Bay ferry terminals. Modo currently has a vehicle located at the Horseshoe Bay terminal.

http://www.modo.coop...for-april-2015/

• Nparker likes this

#25 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:16 PM

I feel like this could be the new best way to get to Vancouver. 

Drive a modo car to the ferry, walk on, pick up another car at Tsawassen Terminal, drive downtown, leave the car at a drop-off location. Could be way cheaper than the PCL if you're a co-op member.

• Nparker and Dr. Barillas like this

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

This afternoon I saw a bunch of Modo car share vehicles driving up and down downtown streets honking horns and passengers/drivers blowing through wazoo's (or whatever they're called), sometimes downright scaring the heck out of pedestrians and generally pissing people off. Is this a smart way of promoting a brand? Did they draw a whole bunch of negative attention to themselves? I dunno.

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:18 PM

Ya, they said they were going to do a parade.  Would have got more coverage if they drove one into a trench near JSB.

• Nparker likes this

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:22 PM

And that was the best they could do? Sheesh...

I just hope this doesn't encourage other businesses to do their own "parades."

Know it all.

#29 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:13 PM

Today was Modo's Victoria launch day.  All the old Victoria Car Share Co-Op cars (over 30) have been swapped out with MODO cars that use their FOB access system and automated logging etc.

• Mixed365 likes this

#30 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:52 PM

This afternoon I saw a bunch of Modo car share vehicles driving up and down downtown streets honking horns and passengers/drivers blowing through wazoo's (or whatever they're called)

I'm guessing they were blowing through 'Kazoos'. Very popular back in the 60's when the hippies found out they could be easily converted in to hash pipes. Just need a little tin foil and a needle to make some holes. So I'm told.

Attached Images

• KAZOO.jpg

#31 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:36 AM

Leaving "Orange" vehicles in the downtown core was all ready struck down by us they had to do something else. :)

And that was the best they could do? Sheesh...

I just hope this doesn't encourage other businesses to do their own "parades."

• jonny likes this

#32 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

This afternoon I saw a bunch of Modo car share vehicles driving up and down downtown streets honking horns and passengers/drivers blowing through wazoo's (or whatever they're called), sometimes downright scaring the heck out of pedestrians and generally pissing people off. Is this a smart way of promoting a brand? Did they draw a whole bunch of negative attention to themselves? I dunno.

They made a pretty slick "MODO is now in Victoria" promo video containing some footage of all that driving around.  This kind of advertising was unimaginable with the old co-op.  Now if they'd just add a car at Promontory I'd be as happy as those folks blowing the horns!  :lol:

http://youtu.be/W7cmFiyiE6o

Edited by Gary H, 30 May 2015 - 09:21 AM.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:19 AM

I see Zipcar has 2 cars at UVic:

http://www.zipcar.ca/

Zipcar is a car rental company in the United States, a subsidiary of Avis Budget Group. Zipcar provides automobile reservations to its members, billable by the hour or day. Zipcar members pay a monthly or annual membership fee in addition to car rental charges. Zipcar was founded in 2000 by Cambridge, Massachusetts residents Antje Danielson and Robin Chase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipcar

#34 Jayson Brown

Jayson Brown
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

I would just like to comment. I have recently become a Zipcar member and I am incredibly happy!

$25 one-time setup
$10 monthly fee
$12-14 an hour
Day rates and deals weekly evening deals.

Free gas & free insurance
$1000 deductible or $100 upfront

I have a selection of 2 cars a few blocks away from me. The account setup is wonky but the ongoing service is suburb.

Owning a car when you live in downtown Victoria doesn’t make sense for everyone! And besides, these are new cars! I feel rich right now :)

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:33 PM

Earlier today I helped park a Zip Car van for a group of people who were unable to do it. They nearly scratched a Lexus, and couldn't figure out how to back it out of its precarious position. 45 seconds later I had their van parked and all was good.

What shocked me was how unskilled the driver was. She couldn't park that thing properly on an empty lot let alone in a spot barely able to accommodate a full size SUV, let alone a large van.

Is there no driver testing here? I mean she was likely one hell of a danger on the road given her "skill" level in the parkade.

Know it all.

#36 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:31 PM

The assumption is if you have a license and a clean record (at least VCSC used to do criminal record checks) you are probably somewhat competent to drive.

The reality is that a lot of car share drivers are probably new drivers or ones that don't drive a lot so I'd expect less ability than the general population.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:12 AM

I came across this...

https://www.bcaa.com...aa-launches-evo

It's called EVO, and it's from BCAA.  All hybrid cars.  But the cool thing is it's one-way.  You just park the darned thing almost anywhere and it's all good.  So neat.

#38 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:05 PM

Zipcar has announced they are leaving BC due to insurance regulations. Their last day of service will be May 1. via https://bc.ctvnews.c...n-b-c-1.4905903

• Mike K. likes this

#39 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 April 2020 - 08:56 AM

I am certain it was not due to insurance issues but due to the economics.  I feel they are only making this move to blame the government and not their own financial issues.  The fact that Car2Go is puling out of North America says to me that the economics of car sharing versus just being a regular car rental business is not there.

#40 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 09:04 AM

car ownership has never been easier. that’s the competition.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users