[Vic West] BMW / Mini dealership | Built - completed in 2012

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:56 PM

It's not that big of a deal. Truckers are trained to back 50' trailers into tight corners in a matter of seconds. The situation at the dealership is a simple and straight forward unloading site.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#142 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

Some of those trucks are quite long and don't forget about the additional length required to back the cars off of it, off the ramp and turn around.

7022996779_a62ac29a0c_b.jpg

Now let's look at the dealership:

bmw.JPG

Between the stock of cars for sale and customer cars sitting waiting for service, there's really not much space to back that rig in and position it so that cars can be unloaded.  

Bike around the damn truck just like I have to drive around many other delivery trucks.  It's not that hard.  Sheesh.  :) :P 

• Nparker and Dr. Barillas like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:09 PM

Like I said, some cars need to be moved around a little bit. They don't have deliveries on a daily basis.

And like I also said, the driver could have easily parked on Tyee and not tie up any traffic at all. There's lots of room on that side road just behind the dealership.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#144 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

Bike around the damn truck just like I have to drive around many other delivery trucks.  It's not that hard.  Sheesh.   :) :P

Or, encourage vehicles to obey the law just like you do for bicycles.

http://www.bclaws.ca...ml#section153.2

• thundergun likes this

#145 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:00 PM

In thinking back to all the car dealerships I can remember seeing, I don't recall an auto trailer truck ever loading/unloading on the dealership site itself - it's always done in the street, either in the left turn lane or at the curb.  I think most times it's in the left turn lane as it is always available.  Cars park on the curb so finding a long enough stretch of empty space could be a challenge, and what to do if nothing is available?  Circling around might require traveling a great distance to be able to make the appropriate turns.

I agree that Tyee Rd. seems like a much better option and I can't figure why they wouldn't use it save for the fact that just parking on Esquimalt Rd., either in the island or next to the curb is EASIER.

The truth is I don't think ANY dealerships are designed to handle those auto trailer trucks on-site as they just requiring too much maneuvering room.

A quick look at Google's sat imagery for the local dealerships in Victoria shows that the new Toyota dealership has a nice long left turn island on Finlayson St. and the dealerships near Uptown on Douglas and Oak St. use Oak St. to unload, often facing in the wrong direction as this image shows.

Auto trailer truck on Oak St..jpg

Edited by Gary H, 07 June 2016 - 09:46 AM.

#146 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:22 AM

The new Toyota dealership unloads on Finlayson between Douglas and Burnside, taking up the bike lane and half of the one vehicle lane. I don't know how often this happens but I've had to avoid it a number of times.

If anyone has the room for this type of thing it's that dealership that spans an entire large city block.

• Rob Randall likes this

#147 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:27 PM

Demolition Begins at 202 Harbour Rd...

I'm putting this here as no one has confirmed or denied the BMW dealership as the new owner.  Anyway, this might be the one example where Joni Mitchell was wrong in the refrain "they paved paradise to put up a parking lot".   ^_^

27536002176_20e6cf4a85_h.jpg

26960364664_3ec20d6c9e_h.jpg

27570151915_5023681c1a_h.jpg

26960360674_ef24a2cbb3_h.jpg

26960358684_e512a39228_h.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:30 AM

Yesterday afternoon an auto transport truck with BMW's on board struck a pedestrian on Douglas at Bay.

We know nothing about the circumstances, so I won't even begin to hypothesize on who's fault was what, but the safety issues that I had brought up regarding the terrible choices a transport truck driver made when parking his rig on a busy street across from the BMW dealership do not play favourably into a situation like this. If these guys disregard the safety of other users of the road by picking the worst places, albeit most convenient, to unload their cargo, what else are they doing that's putting others at risk?

auto transport truck strikes pedestrian.jpeg

http://www.timescolo...reets-1.2274998

Know it all.

#149 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:25 AM

The new Toyota dealership unloads on Finlayson between Douglas and Burnside, taking up the bike lane and half of the one vehicle lane. I don't know how often this happens but I've had to avoid it a number of times.

If anyone has the room for this type of thing it's that dealership that spans an entire large city block.

Had to cycle by this guy on Finlayson yesterday morning headed east. When doing so I decided to take a detour through the gigantic Toyota lot. There is enough space there to unload multiple car trailers but instead they choose to use the road.

#150 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

They certainly come down a lot faster than it takes to construct them.

Anyone know what lurked in the basement?

27336104180_3985ee9997_h.jpg

27513468402_a08fe135a0_h.jpg

27579252566_9855cc9f41_h.jpg

27540074241_e3811beb8d_h.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#151 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:21 PM

Do we know if the other building is coming down as well?

#152 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:21 PM

Anyone know what lurked in the basement?

It was just store rooms.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#153 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:24 PM

After talking with a representative at the BMW booth at the Vic West Street Fest I can confirm that the BMW dealership indeed bought the 202 Harbour Rd. property.  In addition to storing vehicles they also plan to partner with a company that does classic vehicle restorations.   :thumbsup:

#154 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

It's a bit disappointing to have this property to go from being a potentially interesting office building to a parking lot for car storage. Hopefully this is not a long term plan for the site.

• thundergun likes this

#155 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:04 PM

It's a bit disappointing to have this property to go from being a potentially interesting office building to a parking lot for car storage. Hopefully this is not a long term plan for the site.

Of course it will be short-term.  Once cars are self-driving, you'll simply summon the car you need from the massive multi-dealer storage facility in the Fraser Valley.  It'll be over in a few hours.  No more sending your lot guy to fetch it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#156 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

Saunders Subaru was getting cars delivered the other day, delivery truck was parked in the right hand lane and bike lane of the old Island Highway.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#157 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

^ Honda dealership cars unloading this morning on the North side of Finlayson.

Too bad about BMW buying it. Lame that the first two buildings people will see heading over the JSB will be a car dealership and a car repair shop. Seems more like Langley or Colwood than inner city Victoria.

• Nparker and DavidSchell like this

#158 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:09 AM

On a good day you can block both the bike lane and the bus stop during 8AM rush hour.

Attached Images

• IMG_20160614_075547.jpg

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#159 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:19 AM

Nice. He's multi-tasking.

Remind me again, why can't he park on the BMW lot? If there's one thing they have in large supply, it's blacktop.
  • Nparker, thundergun and DavidSchell like this

Know it all.

#160 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:00 AM

IMO I would think this land could be put to better use than a car dealership.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users