Photo

[Vic West] BMW / Mini dealership | Built - completed in 2012

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#41 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

Perhaps they are keeping their readers in suspence, like stayed tuned for next weeks edition, so they can sell more papers.

#42 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

The owner of the dealership and the line of vehicles it will carry is not yet known.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0uPRgcwJ4

That's weird because Bill Cleverly was sitting right there at the media table the whole meeting and the BMW logo was all over the renderings and documents. I suspect the current article was merged with an older article and the editor missed it.

I cropped it out of the overhead plan but you can see the big BMW sign on the architect's rendering attached to my article. The quality is poor because it was taken off a screen from a PowerPoint presentation but it is there.

Here are the references:

City of Victoria:

The proposed Development Permit Application would accommodate a new BMW dealership on the subject lands.

From de Hoog & Keirulf Architects to Mayor and Council (May 14, 2010):

It will be a 1 storey building that will accommodate the relocated BMW/Mini Store and Service functions.

The name of the company is also named in the agenda which was at Thursday's meeting. It is "1782492 Ontario Ltd."

Knowing the name of the dealership is important because the design must conform to City policy on materials and signage, yet the building must also conform to BMW's corporate policy governing the look of the dealership (for example, neither the City nor BMW would permit cedar shingles on the exterior).

#43 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:54 PM

I have no problems with this development. The deserted warehouse and its accompanying semi trailer parking lot is a blight.

I agree. This space has been ugly and vacant for years. It could have been occupied instead by Shoppers Drug Mart or Walmart, but a high end BMW dealership is instead taking the space. I'm sure that having this kind of business at this location compliments the upscale town homes and condos in the area.

#44 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

I like the Mini dealership in Yaletown. But it's more of a retail store than anything.
I'm afraid this will be just another parking lot and storage facility. Two things I hate to see in an urban area.

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:20 AM

I have to say that I'm not particularly thrilled with what has become an automobile storage lot rather than a dealership.

I hope the City has a timeline in place for BMW to build their dealership and not use the land as a fenced off parking lot for years to come like what happened with Jim Pattison's lot at Tyee and Langford in Vic West.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

I have to say that I'm not particularly thrilled with what has become an automobile storage lot rather than a dealership.

I hope the City has a timeline in place for BMW to build their dealership and not use the land as a fenced off parking lot for years to come like what happened with Jim Pattison's lot at Tyee and Langford in Vic West.

This would have been the ideal location for the temporary Via station and parking lot, but there seems to have been a lack of forsight.

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

The City would have had to purchase the land and I'm sure it's value is in the $5-million range.

Considering the CRD doesn't seem to have much enthusiasm for rail in the first place, the City of Victoria definitely wouldn't have put forward the money to purchase the land.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

I agree Mike; I know for certain if I were a Bayview resident who paid the big(ger) dollars for one of those units initially, I would be pretty PO'ed that I was now overlooking, for all intents and purposes, a glorified parking lot. Wow. Only Victoria it seems could take a prime time piece of real estate like this it seems and turn it into a car lot.......

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

Yup. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the future vision for Vic West. One day industrial land is making way for residential developments and the next the City is ok'ing exposed car lots.

Know it all.

#50 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:23 AM

The City would have had to purchase the land and I'm sure it's value is in the $5-million range.

Seriously? That seems more than a bit steep. I can't imagine the BMW dealer has that kind of money to throw around.

#51 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:29 AM

Seriously? That seems more than a bit steep. I can't imagine the BMW dealer has that kind of money to throw around.

More word on the street is that the principal is a guy named Oggie from Chicago. He has also bought the BMW motorcycle dealership on Peatt Road, which will apparently be incorporated into the car dealership. I hear that cash isn't an issue. :)

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:44 AM

Final price was in excess of $4-million, it seems.

I wasn't aware of the consolidation with the bike shop. Now let's hope the get a move on.

Know it all.

#53 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

What other things could this site be used for at this time? Today's market doesn't seem right for residential use and no level of government seems to want to put a train station here. So why not a car lot? At least this way the site can still be redeveloped with something denser in 30 years.

#54 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

What other things could this site be used for at this time? Today's market doesn't seem right for residential use and no level of government seems to want to put a train station here. So why not a car lot? At least this way the site can still be redeveloped with something denser in 30 years.

How about moving the bus depot from behind the Empress, and combining it with a transit exchange and the temporary Via station?

Oops! toooo late.

#55 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

Yup. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the future vision for Vic West. One day industrial land is making way for residential developments and the next the City is ok'ing exposed car lots.

Well at least it's a BMW car/motorcycle dealership and not Uncle Bill's Pre-Owned Automobiles or something along those lines...

#56 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

All the cars stored there are now gone and there is a dumpster at the building. Looks like gutting the building for demo is under way.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:55 PM

You see what a little VV chatter can do?

;)

Know it all.

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

Plenty of activity on-site as the old warehouse gets gutted.

Know it all.

#59 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

Plenty of activity on-site as the old warehouse gets gutted.

Yup, plenty of activity in that area now that the new bridge is cast in stone.

#60 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

^There is no connection.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users