amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

before & after

s6otoy.jpg

166n3pe.jpg

http://changingcityb...7-east-georgia/

that one in vancouver is along an alley so of course it would be a bit different here. I think what matters though is that something narrow & relatively unobtrusive like that would be good for covering that ugly side of the macpherson while also activating that corner of that square. well more than those trees that are there right now.

#182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

You just gave city council a collective myocardial infarction.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#183 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

What's the problem? I guess in that photoshop it's a bit wider than I first imagined it would be but who could like that side of the MacPherson the way it is?

#184 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

The old town isn't about buildings. It's about the absence of buildings where buildings used to be. I'm surprised they haven't tried changing the name to "old empty space" or something along those lines.

Edited by aastra, 26 July 2014 - 04:42 PM.

• G-Man likes this

#185 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

A parking lot can sit around for decades and officialdom can't see it. Propose a legitimate lowrise that complies with City Hall's regulations for old town and it'll be mired in controversy.

In this instance that wall is sacrosanct. A modern proposal akin to that example would no doubt be a battle royale.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#186 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

I'd rather see a nice mural on the McPherson wall.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#187 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

The difficulty with building something alongside the north side of the Macpherson is that that area is used as a loading bay.

#188 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Nothing a little ivy can't fix.

• Nparker likes this

#189 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Nothing a little ivy can't fix.

You were probably joking when you said this gumgum, but actually, I think that would be a really great solution to the aesthetics of this side of the theatre. If it's good enough for the Empress surely it's good enough for the MacPherson.

#190 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

I wasn't joking.:)
  • Nparker likes this

#191 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

Maybe they could put something like this together.

mcpherson88-jpg.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

Too much density for old town.

Know it all.

#193 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:05 AM

probably not downtown, but when will we start to see houses with simple forms made with blackened wood? these are a lot more interesting than the usual suburban house, and in a forest they'd practically disappear::

_JB_8468.jpg?1377573010
http://www.archdaily...flo-arkitekter/

PORTADA.jpg?1387037447
http://www.archdaily...pe-architectes/

or maybe not made with blackened wood but still with that refined gable form. almost like a 21st-century tudor style:

Woodstock-Farm-Rick-Joy-11-1050x700.jpg

Woodstock-Farm-Rick-Joy-21-1050x700.jpg
http://thespaces.com...woodstock-farm/
  • Dr. Barillas likes this

#194 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

So why have the owners of Harbour Square never done anything with those prime corners on Wharf Street? This building suffers from being such a monotonous block monster, and yet at the same time there are these rather clearly defined little sections that practically beg to be re-skinned and set apart from the main bulk of the building. This is what I mean when I talk about breaking up a long facade and creating the effect of a more diversified streetscape. Ideally you'd replace the bricks on the upper part of that section with some other cladding to more strongly suggest an individual little building on the corner there. But even just remodeling the ground floor would be a huge improvement.

HarbourSquare-CornerHypothetical-1-After.jpg

I went a bit crazy here with the copying and pasting but you get the idea.

HarbourSquarePartialReclad-Hypothetical-After.jpg

Edited by aastra, 09 June 2017 - 07:26 PM.

• Mike K., Nparker, tedward and 1 other like this

#195 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

Those are some fine Photoshop skills aastra. I seriously did a double-take with the "Brown's on Wharf" image.

#196 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

These are just quick and dirty but even quick and dirty looks great here. I'm not kidding, these two corners are begging for it. You can paste almost anything in there and you get an instantly rejuvenated streetscape. The Sticky Wicket's faux-historic terracotta, westcoast contemporary... you name it. Anything and everything seems to work.

• Nparker likes this

#197 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:51 PM

...You can paste almost anything in there and you get an instantly rejuvenated streetscape...Anything and everything seems to work.

I guess that's the benefit of starting with a virtual blank slate.

#198 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:21 PM

I think it's the way the heavy brick sections outline the corner spaces. It's easy to put something else inside the lines.

I've smeared Harbour Square every which way over the years but I'll pay them a compliment now and note how they tried to mix things up with the angled apartments on the one side and that modern interpretation of a historic facade in the middle there along Wharf (at least I assume that's what it's supposed to be). But the whole thing gets taken down by the incredibly excessive use of the same brown brick. In moderation that exact same brick would be no problem. Taken to such excess it just seems so overwhelming and dreary.

Let's face it, there was a time there from maybe ~1975 to ~1985 when Victorians just went bananas for excessively bland brick coverage. A grotesque oversimplification of Victoria's architectural inventory.

Which reminds me, wouldn't the modern section of the hotel at Broad and Johnson look infinitely better (not to mention more convincing) if those brick-covered pillars were dressed in stone or polished concrete or something? And wouldn't it be better if that space were glassed in right to the pillars?

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

JohnsonBroad-Hypothetical.jpg

Edited by aastra, 09 June 2017 - 08:44 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#199 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:28 PM

Wharf Street is so underutilized in this regard. The narrow sidewalks don't help. The Keg.. that location, no patio, WTF! Widen the sidewalk, do some aastra makeovers and encourage patios or better business 'outreach' to the street.
  • Nparker likes this

#200 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:37 PM

Yeah, as part of the remodeling of these spaces you could inset them a bit to gain a bit more sidewalk.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users