Photo

Your Ideal New Downtown Projects

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#201 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:39 PM

... But the whole thing gets taken down by the incredibly excessive use of the same brown brick. In moderation that exact same brick would be no problem. Taken to such excess it just seems so overwhelming and dreary...

For a moment I was sure you were talking about the proposal for the Residences at the Empress

Capture.JPG

#202 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:31 AM

Wharf Street is so underutilized in this regard. The narrow sidewalks don't help. The Keg.. that location, no patio, WTF! Widen the sidewalk, do some aastra makeovers and encourage patios or better business 'outreach' to the street.

No room for patios or bigger sidewalks. That space will be taken by a multi directional bike lane! 😛
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#203 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:36 AM

Rooftop patios!

I still scratch my head whenever I see that prime real estate on Wharf occupied by an ICBC driver's license office. Wtf?
  • Nparker likes this

#204 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:53 PM

I have always thought it would be nice to convert Wharf to one lane one way southbound south of Yates.  Then redesign similar to Government St.  Maybe with one lane one way and bi-directional cycle path, there would be room to add additional sidewalk space.

#205 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

I have always thought it would be nice to convert Wharf to one lane one way southbound south of Yates. Then redesign similar to Government St. Maybe with one lane one way and bi-directional cycle path, there would be room to add additional sidewalk space.

Why not do that with all the parking lots below?

#206 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

Which reminds me, wouldn't the modern section of the hotel at Broad and Johnson look infinitely better (not to mention more convincing) if those brick-covered pillars were dressed in stone or polished concrete or something? And wouldn't it be better if that space were glassed in right to the pillars?

I always thought that the restaurant section of that hotel (now Ruby, formerly The Tube, Stone's Throw and many others) would have be ideal for this corner with a patio section instead of hidden with a small storefront next to the hotel entrance.

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#207 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

Here's an ideal project for you:

- build a new building that has the same height and presence as the old Wilson/Gordon Hotel,
- add a set-back third level atop both of the old two-story buildings (on either side of the Cross' Meats building), and
- give each old building along Douglas a decent restoration and/or distinguishing paint job.

A project like this would be huge.

Google street view...

e-01971_141.jpg

pic from BC Archives:
http://search-bcarch...street-victoria

#208 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

Here's an ideal project for you:

- build a new building that has the same height and presence as the old Wilson/Gordon Hotel,
- add a set-back third level atop both of the old two-story buildings (on either side of the Cross' Meats building), and
- give each old building along Douglas a decent restoration and/or distinguishing paint job.

What benefit would there be to a faux 19th century streetscape on one of the main downtown thoroughfares? Isn't this precisely what Old Town is for?

#209 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

Those buildings aren't replicas. They're priceless originals. I'm not sure what you're thinking here.

#210 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:59 PM

Those buildings aren't replicas. They're priceless originals..

You said "build a new building that has the same height and presence as the old Wilson/Gordon Hotel"; this wouldn't be an original. You also said "add a set-back third level atop both of the old two-story buildings". This would render the existing buildings significantly altered from their original form.

Most of the Douglas Street buildings have been so thoroughly bastardized over the years that they really have no significant value today. We have Old Town, Broad Street and Government Street (to name just 3 areas) that can be preserved in amber as a museum pieces. Douglas Street should be focused on the future, not the past.

#211 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

I think what Aastra is proposing is restoration of the 3-storey heritage facades, and construction of new, modern additions on top. Obviously not as tall as Jameson House in Vancouver, but the same general idea.

Capture.PNG

#212 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

I think what Aastra is proposing is restoration of the 3-storey heritage facades, and construction of new, modern additions on top. Obviously not as tall as Jameson House in Vancouver, but the same general idea...

If I thought something of the quality of Jameson House could actually get built on Douglas Street I'd be championing it. However, since we'd much more likely get one-floor additions - like those uninspired add-ons on Yates Street -

Capture.JPG

it hardly inspires much confidence.

#213 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

I like it, but definitely, shoot for more than 1 storey add-on and not necessarily set back.

#214 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

This would render the existing buildings significantly altered from their original form.

Didn't you say they should be demolished? That's a pretty significant alteration.

Anyway, I meant build a new building on the site of the Wilson Hotel to maybe ~5 stories and then add a level atop the two-story buildings facing Douglas.

#215 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

Gut the interiors and restore the facades. The insides of some of these buildings are most likely beyond saving.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#216 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:26 PM

Most of the Douglas Street buildings have been so thoroughly bastardized over the years that they really have no significant value today. We have Old Town, Broad Street and Government Street (to name just 3 areas) that can be preserved in amber as a museum pieces.

You owe me some paper towels. I used a bunch to clean my monitor after I spit my afternoon latte all over it.

#217 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

Another heritage-meets-modern showpiece in Vancouver, currently proposed for the former Canada Post processing facility downtown:

vancouver-post-office-proposed-development1.png

#218 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

Another heritage-meets-modern showpiece in Vancouver...

Let me know when something like that is

a) proposed in Victoria
b) manages to get approved by the un-visionaries on Council

#219 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

There's adding levels and then there's gluing large new buildings on top of existing buildings....

In Victoria I'd like to see something a little more elegant happen with the Shoppers Drug Mart property, incorporating the facade of the modern bank building on the corner. Offset the new construction a bit so that it doesn't look (quite so much) like a new building standing on the top of an existing building.

Victoria-Douglas-Yates-Hypothetical-2.jpg

Edited by aastra, 01 August 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#220 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

That pic doesn't really show it the way I'd want it to be. The new construction would extend further back toward A&B sound's building, and more of the roof of the old building would be open not just on the Yates side but on the Douglas side, too.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users