Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

another one! :cool:

zus8lz.jpg
  • Mike K., Nparker and stormy like this

#142 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

Whenever I muse about that area I always start with the replacement of View Towers. But your pics there show how things could be massively improved just be adding some quality developments on the surrounding lots.

#143 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

I noticed the other day the old Bottle Depot on Vancouver Street has really been fixed up. The building, which looked like it was about to fall over, now looks very clean and tidy.

#144 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

A local tech company has leased the space and it was spruced up by the owner (coincidentally the owner is the developer behind Jukebox proposal across the street).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#145 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

34473lt.jpg

2rdztdk.jpg

Whenever I muse about that area I always start with the replacement of View Towers. But your pics there show how things could be massively improved just be adding some quality developments on the surrounding lots.

that's sort of what I was thinking. I get that view towers has its issues but it doesn't have to prevent improvements to the rest of the area. well maybe not the lots right next to it, but then that one on fort st could still work even if view towers gets replaced later.

#146 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

I'm staying in Vancouver in English Bay and am admiring the new Cactus Club Cafe, a slimmed-down informal version of the restaurant chain which sits right on the beach and wish something like that would appear somewhere on Victoria's beachfront.

http://www.pwlpartne...afe-english-bay

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#147 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

^Yes when it truly an incredible spot. It's amazing to me that CC has managed to snag all of the very prime spots downtown Vancouver.

#148 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'm thinking somewhere around Ogden Point would be ideal. I don't know if it's in those photos, but the Cactus Club in English Bay has a small concession facing the beach that presumably sells ice cream and drinks in summer. Dallas and Douglas would also be good: http://goo.gl/maps/yAsOM

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#149 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

A good spot would be in that null space that will be created between the Ocean Pointe Hotel and the new JSB (In my dreams I see something more significant going in there, like an aquarium or something, but I'd take a restaurant and patio over nothing).

#150 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

The renovation at Lure Restaurant in the Ocean Pointe (as per Gary H.'s heads-up) will include patio seating (finally!).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#151 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Willows would aslo be a good spot.

#152 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

not downtown but so what, what if you could get to silver city or pearkes without leaving the mall? :blink:

28coneg.jpg

#153 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

What is that, a monorail or a zipline in orange, to get between the buildings?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#154 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

I think it's an expansion if the mall.

#155 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

After just reading the Hillside Mall thread, not sure why anybody would contemplate expanding another mall.  That being said, I like this idea, but incorporate 2 new sheets of ice  that are open to the shopping centre, similar to West Edmonton Mall.  We could certainly use more ice…its really difficult to get out to my 10:45pm ice times on Monday nights...

#156 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

xm6gea.jpg

(pics borrowed from the hudson thread & street view)
  • aastra and G-Man like this

#157 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

I think it's kind of obvious that the walls on neighbouring buildings here are blank because whoever built them was anticipating this corner building getting replaced. Before & after

ndmwjt.jpg

30uxnis.jpg

#158 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

Why would you want to get rid of a nice old block like that? As a compromise I'd accept an additional story on top of it.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#159 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

How about something like these for the 819 Yates Property (Chard's future Yates St project across from the Atrium)? These are too tall and would never go ahead here, but I really like the designs. The site is zoned for two buildings of 17 and 11 floors, by the way.

talkcondo-new-development-toronto-pre-co

urbantoronto-1517-32433.jpg

1000-bay-condo.jpg

I'd like to see something skinny and long from north to south, to offset how most of the neighboring high rises are long from east to west.

#160 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

See that would be great. This is one of those lots on which a trademark highrise could be built, but instead whatever it is will be lost in translation among the rest of the buildings. And that's just lame.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users