Photo

Your Ideal New Downtown Projects

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#161 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

Yeah I was looking at the Era pictures from Vic Wes yesterday and thought we could really use another landmark highrise. It's hard to pick out buildings like Juliet and Era from a distance because everything is low and similar in height.

The Capital 6 building could be demo'd and the property combined with the parking lot. That would give plenty of space to really put up a landmark building AND further improve what has become a pretty bustling corner by getting ride of the Capital 6 eyesore and putting in a fantastic ground floor.

This is a great opportunity to finally get a 20+ floor building downtown. I know I'm shooting for the moon, but something like one 25 floor ultra modern glass building (with no freaking red brick) would be just killer. 

• Nparker and tedward like this

#162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

It would be, and who other than Chard has the street cred with the City to pull this off? He's proven a half dozen times now that he knows what he's doing and builds quality residential projects that respect the environment in which they are situated.

For that, should he seek approval, he should be granted a building height for a landmark tower over and above what Townline received with their 24 storey tower that may not be built for who knows how long.

A beautifully designed downtown landmark tower would do for Victoria's image what the last 15 years of development have done ...all in one quick swoop. Unfortunately the powers that be will not be quick to acknowledge that it's time for Victoria to grow out of its contrived storybook "quaintness" that the tourism industry loves to flaunt and accept that we are a growing city with a view to the future.
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#163 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

I'd like to replace the Rotherham building with a landmark condo tower.

#164 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

... I know I'm shooting for the moon, but something like one 25 floor ultra modern glass building (with no freaking red brick) would be just killer. 

This X 1000!

• jonny likes this

#165 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

It would be, and who other than Chard has the street cred with the City to pull this off? He's proven a half dozen times now that he knows what he's doing and builds quality residential projects that respect the environment in which they are situated.

For that, should he seek approval, he should be granted a building height for a landmark tower over and above what Townline received with their 24 storey tower that may not be built for who knows how long.

A beautifully designed downtown landmark tower would do for Victoria's image what the last 15 years of development have done ...all in one quick swoop. Unfortunately the powers that be will not be quick to acknowledge that it's time for Victoria to grow out of its contrived storybook "quaintness" that the tourism industry loves to flaunt and accept that we are a growing city with a view to the future.

Chard would be perfect. He has the reputation for quality, delivery and being able to work with the city. He has a solid track record in Victoria, so I would imagine getting construction financing would be do-able. Townline is hopeless and Concert is too conservative. Bosa's designs don't get my blood pumping like I think we need.

Plus Chard already owns 819 Yates!

I think one successfully completed 25+ floor building downtown would put a serious hole in the hull of those who fret so much about height.

Could somebody with some Photoshopping skillz put one of those building's I posted on the corner of Yates and Blanshard ( I like the middle one best!)?

#166 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

This X 1000!

Aside from the Juliet and Atrium, I swear every other recently constructed building downtown has had some element of red brick incorporated.

#167 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

And if it's not red it's gold (Sovereign). FYI City of Victoria, there are other cladding materials besides brick and stucco.

#168 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

The Falls, the Wave, Mondrian... no brick on those, right? Plus that little place on Broughton.

Edit: How about the Marriott?

And the CRD's building?

And the arena?

Edited by aastra, 04 June 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#169 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

The Wave has some sort of grey cinder-blockey stuff on the ground floor.

The Mondrian's too short...doesn't count! :P

I think you're right about the others...

#170 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

The 834? I don't recall brick. Maybe on the podium? Second phase of Dockside Green shed the brick but the first phase pushed up some rust belt factory's stock price for sure.

Jury is still out on Escher. We'll have to wait for more renderings to know what the cladding will be.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#171 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

834 and Hudson Mews have lots of red brick. Union has red brick. Aria and Belvedere have it too and so will Argus and Janion. Astoria might not have it...can't remember.

Corazon has yellowy-orange brick.

Era and Promontory also have lots of red brick. The future phases of Bayview will have red brick. Bayview 1 has lots of red brick.

Red brick, red brick everywhere!

#172 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Meh, I prefer red brick to bare concrete any day.

• aastra likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#173 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

I forgot Astoria. I don't know, that's quite a few fairly new major buildings that don't have any brick on them. Meanwhile, the use of brick on buildings like Corazon, Promontory, Aria, Shoal Point, etc. is really well done (the jury is still out re: Era). Do we really have a problem here? Of all recent projects I think I'd say Parkside is probably the least successful brick-heavy design, but even so it's still not bad. I really like marble and other materials and I like 100% curtain wall, too, but I'm not quite ready to join the anti-brick backlash.

#174 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

I don't have a huge problem with brick.

I'm just saying this town needs more modern buildings, that's all. Some more glass and metal cladding would add some variety. I like variety and contrasts.

Juliet and Falls are great examples of more modern design. 

I also wonder if all the brick at Bayview, Promontory, Roundhouse and the future Promontory phase is going to be too brick heavy.

#175 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

I don't have a huge problem with brick.I'm just saying this town needs more modern buildings, that's all. Some more glass and metal cladding would add some variety. I like variety and contrasts...Juliet and Falls are great examples of more modern design. 

I would add to this Shutters in the Songhees. It's water-facing facade is beautiful and nary a red brick in sight.

How about a few more like the Rohani

rohani.jpg

#176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

Why oh why can't we get something like this in downtown Victoria? This is the failed Silkwind tower that was planned along Wale Road in Colwood.

Silkwind-in-Colwood.jpg

• Nparker and jonny like this

Know it all.

#177 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

I'm telling you, Blanshard and Pandora. Use some of your VV millions and make it happen.

Meanwhile, I really, really don't like the office block at Johnson and Douglas. Give me some green glass there, maybe 9 or 10 stories:

2mcnl2.jpg

Edited by aastra, 04 June 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

I wish. All of my money is tied up in that progressive, all-glass highrise hotel going up in ...Nanaimo.

Aside from hearing of what Chard has up his sleeves, Townline moving on their 24-storey tower at Hudson Place would be some of the best development-related news in many years.

The hunger for something on that scale is certainly there. Look at how many proposals have hit the 25+ floor mark on the west shore. Heck, we've had proposals in excess of 40 floors out there and nobody batted an eye during the municipal process. I really think Victoria is ready for something spectacular that isn't wider than it is tall. Unfortunately the extremely conservative new downtown plan is attempting to artificially restrict what the city is naturally working up towards.

Know it all.

#179 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

It always comes back around to View Towers. Build 250 new rental units and a slick urban park and then replace the existing building with two condo towers, the taller of which would be allowed to reach ~25 stories.

29ctgcz.jpg

• jonny likes this

#180 mcmusty

mcmusty
  • 34 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

love this design of the View Street towers block. Do you have an image that could extend east to include the two pink towers at View & Vancouver and that empty lot.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users