Victoria Harbour Authority Issues

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#181 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

I always did tip. 

Why? Do you tip city transit bus drivers?

It would be cool if these little ferries were used more as just regular transportation for residents. Definitely not going happen if you are expected to tip the driver every time you get on!

#182 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

Why? Do you tip city transit bus drivers?

It would be cool if these little ferries were used more as just regular transportation for residents. Definitely not going happen if you are expected to tip the driver every time you get on!

No, but I always tip cab drivers.  I don't believe I've ever taken a cab and not left a tip.  They, and Harbour Ferries captains, rely more on tips than well-paid transit drivers.  When I've chartered a bus for, say, a Canucks trip, we always pass around the hat at the end and gather a decent tip for the Wilson's driver or whoever.  I "tip" BC Transit with my taxes.  My taxes don't cover cabs or harbour ferries.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#183 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

Definitely not going happen if you are expected to tip the driver every time you get on!

Why is it that peole cant comprehend why and when to tip and the purpose of it?

Who ever said tips are expected????

Have you ever had a Taxi driver telll you youre not gettting out of heh cab until you hand over a tip???

#184 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

I do admit to being baffled by a lot of times when I see a tip is expected and I wouldn't think it was the place for it. Like the guy who pilots the boat hopefully full of people to their destination....

#185 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

I know right?

It is  simple yes/no question: do you want to assert your dominance over the servile classes while confirming your disdain for government regulation including offensive ideas like a "minimum wage" or "employment standards"?

If you answered "yes" to the above, then tip.

If you answered "no", go back to your hippie commune. ;)

• dasmo and thundergun like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#186 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

I know right?

It is  simple yes/no question: do you want to assert your dominance over the servile classes while confirming your disdain for government regulation including offensive ideas like a "minimum wage" or "employment standards"?

Huh???? Sorry, I don't understand your point.

I serve customers in my business every day. They pay the price of our service or goods plus taxes and we wish each other a good day.

Some people I help because they wander in and are looking for something I definitely don't sell. That is just being a nice person and a neighbourhood business.

I don't expect a tip for either of these folks and am never offered one. Ok, occasionally a customer will say keep the change on a receipt but that is only pennies of the total. Mainly, it is because they don't want to carry the change!

Why does the guy driving the ferry, doing his job, deserve a tip?

Again, must admit I am baffled by the whole tipping thing and who should get it. I tip in the those places it is socially expected (food, beverage service, hair stylist) but not really any where else. I do make a point of letting people know I am happy with their service by saying so. I have made of point in recent years of leaving a tip for cleaning staff in hotels. But not because I leave much for them to clean up but I can imagine what they might have to deal with from other people!

#187 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

Huh???? Sorry, I don't understand your point.

My feeble attempt at humour, sorry if it confused. :)

As to your point I agree. I find the concept of tipping arbitrary and outdated.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#188 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

I know right?

No, this was a GREAT attempt at humour, I laughed out loud (lol).    :1954_dancing:

• tedward likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#189 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

http://www.timescolo...nture-1.1431707

The Greater Victoria Harbour Authority will be on the lookout for a new chief executive as current CEO Curtis Grad is leaving to lead the Skwin’ang’eth Se’las Development Company.

At a news conference Friday, Grad was introduced as the face of the SSD, a federal not-for-profit corporation that was launched last year by the Esquimalt and Songhees First Nations and the harbour authority to promote economic development opportunities for the two nations.“It’s early days and it’s exciting. This will be a vehicle for [First Nations to have] really meaningful involvement in the local economy,” said Grad.

The organization’s mandate is to grow and develop start-up companies, establish educational programs to impart both employment and management skills and promote the economic well-being and cultural awareness of the two nations.

“We have a very important player on the harbour that isn’t fully engaged in the harbour economy,” Grad said. “This is their opportunity.”

Chief Andy Thomas of the Esquimalt First Nation is counting on it.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.bWsXd5Pn.dpuf

#190 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

Curtis Grad will be on CFAX after the noon news today, talking about the new job.

#191 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:18 AM

Rick Crosby, former PCC head, will be the temporary new guy.

#192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:17 PM

Check out these vintage photos of the Songhees and James Bay waterfronts, circa 1984. Notice Sitkum Lodge under construction.

Vic-West-early-80's.jpg

James-Bay-early-80's.jpg

• Mr Cook Street and D.L. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#193 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

^Boy that is a heck of a whack of changes in not too long a period.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#194 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:38 PM

The iconic Steamship Terminal will illuminate the Inner Harbour with a brilliant display of patriotic red and white on Canada Day!

New LED lights are installed and the switch is ready to turn on at Victoria’s iconic Steamship Terminal. Over the past several weeks, a dedicated team from Greater Victoria Harbour Authority has been programming and testing new celebratory lighting that will accentuate the heritage architectural features of the former CPR Steamship Terminal building and cast a spectacular glow over the waters of the Inner Harbour from dusk to dawn throughout the year.

“The Harbour Authority has an important role to play in beautifying and enhancing the overall aesthetic look and feel of the Inner Harbour,” says GVHA CEO Ian Robertson. “We’ve installed new lighting for the Steamship Terminal as part of our social mandate to reinvest on behalf of the community. We hope that the lighting scheme will encourage locals and tourists to share photos of this grand building and that the new look will become a much loved visual icon of the harbour’s heritage precinct along with the similarly illuminated Parliament Buildings and Empress hotel.”

The City of Victoria granted a heritage permit for the installation of the lighting scheme. The new lights will showcase the significant heritage features of the Steamship Terminal—fondly known as the “Temple of Poseidon” when it opened in 1924—including grand Ionic columns and Greco-Roman iconography in the Neo-classical style. The building was designed by famous Victoria architect Francis Rattenbury with assistance from Percy Leonard James. The first official lighting scheme will be a spectacular display of patriotic red and white and the image of a large stylized Maple Leaf to celebrate Canada Day on July 1. For special events, the lights can be programmed with an array of multi-coloured schemes according to the needs of the occasion. Throughout the rest of the year, lights will display seasonally appropriate colours.

11692766_1011597425526596_48749318910067

• Nparker likes this

#195 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:10 AM

MEDIA RELEASE: HARBOUR AUTHORITY AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENT INVEST $500,000 TO REVITALIZE INNER HARBOUR CAUSEWAY FOR CANADA’S 150th BIRTHDAY

VICTORIA – For over four decades, the lower causeway promenade in the Inner Harbour has served as Victoria’s popular centre stage for community events and celebrations. As the nation prepares to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday in July 2017, the federal government through Western Economic Diversification Canada and Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) will each contribute $250,000 to restore, renovate and revitalize this iconic public space for the first time since it opened in 1974.

“We are incredibly excited to work collaboratively with our partners to realize a dynamic new vision for Victoria’s treasured harbour causeway,” said GVHA CEO Ian Robertson. “I can’t imagine a better place to celebrate Canada’s special 150th birthday than in Victoria’s Inner Harbour with a revitalized causeway promenade as its centrepiece. We are grateful for the support and partnership of the federal government in this initiative.”

The main objective of the project is to repair and renovate the lower causeway. Tentative plans include: widening the useable surface area, removing planter boxes and terraced areas, re-surfacing the walkway to preserve its structural integrity, and adding new trees, gardens, benches and maritime-themed arts and cultural features. Heritage features will be preserved and enhanced while the causeway is modernized to increase public access and safety as well as to provide an enhanced visitor experience for both locals and tourists.

GVHA is sensitive to the significant heritage of this important public space and has a successful track record of revitalizing key heritage assets including the former CPR Steamship Terminal building (opened in 1924) and the Ogden Point Breakwater (opened in 1917).

The revitalization vision will be developed collaboratively and GVHA will ensure open and regular communication with the public during each stage of the project. No work will be done without the support of the City of Victoria and the City’s Heritage Advisory Committee. GVHA will work closely with them to ensure that important heritage features are preserved and maintained.

The Inner Harbour Causeway was added to Canada’s Historic Places Register in 1996. Designed by noted Vancouver architect Norm Hotson of Arthur Erickson Architects, it is a cherished feature of Victoria’s famous waterfront and features in tourist photographs seen around the world.

Renovation work will start in fall 2016 and the project is expected to be complete by July 2017—in time for the Inner Harbour to act as the natural centre stage for Canada’s 150th birthday celebrations.

About Greater Victoria Harbour Authority

Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) is a not-for-profit organization governed by a local Board of Directors. It owns and operates deep water, marina and upland holdings throughout Victoria’s harbour including the large vessel Ogden Point port facility where a dynamic cruise tourism industry contributes over $100 million annually to the regional economy; Victoria’s renowned Fisherman’s Wharf float home community and small business hub; and the Inner Harbour’s luxury yacht and marine tourism facility at Ship Point. GVHA’s vision is a harbour where people live, learn, work and play; a spectacular gateway into Victoria’s past and into its future, monumental in look and feel, linking communities and all people together. www.gvha.ca

-30-

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#196 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:13 AM

Why remove the terraced areas and planter boxes?

#197 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:14 AM

MEDIA RELEASE: HARBOUR AUTHORITY AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENT INVEST $500,000 TO REVITALIZE INNER HARBOUR CAUSEWAY FOR CANADA’S 150th BIRTHDAY....

Wow! When that pre-election, vote buying purse opens it really spills out a lot of coin.

#198 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

What are the terraced areas?  Like the bit the (no native) artists set up on? 

#199 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:19 AM

What are the terraced areas?  Like the bit the (no native) artists set up on? 

Those areas on the eastern (Empress) side where the benches are?

#200 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:02 AM

Those areas on the eastern (Empress) side where the benches are?

I guess so.  I'd need to take a closer look, maybe they are not the best set-up for sitting.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users