Latest VV Article

Condo Review: Union

Vancouver-based Anthem Properties has made its Victoria development debut with the Union, a two building lowrise condo project between the 500-blocks of Pandora Avenue and Fisgard Street in Old Town’s amenity rich Chinatown district. The Union property, left barren for nearly a decade after the failure of a previous condo development, is a stones throw from the Inner Harbour and literally at the nexus of a rapidly changing and increasingly desirable historic area. [Read more]

Photo

Sealand of the Pacific whale kills another trainer

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,232 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

http://en.wikipedia....(whale)#Tilikum

Tillikum was first sent to live at Sealand of the Pacific near Victoria, British Columbia. There, he lived with two older females named Haida II and Nootka IV. While living in British Columbia, Tilikum sired his first calf when he was about eight or nine years old. His first son, Kyuquot, was born to Haida II on December 24, 1991. Just a few months prior to the birth of Kyuquot, Tilikum was involved in an incident which resulted in the death of a trainer. Twenty-year-old Keltie Byrne, who worked at the park, slipped and fell into the tank with the whales. Tillikum, a pregnant Haida II, and Nootka IV grabbed her in their mouths and tossed her to each other, presumably playing. Keltie drowned. The orcas had never had humans in the water with them before.

http://www.montrealg...8174/story.html

The whale, named Tilikum or "friend" in the Native American language Chinook, is among the killer whales, dolphins and seals whose shows have made SeaWorld so popular.

But he has been involved in previous accidents, including the 1991 death of a part-time trainer at the Sealand of the Pacific facility in Canada, according to the Humane Society of the United States.

Read more: http://www.montrealg...l#ixzz0gV2Xi18V

Wow, that's gotta be a record for patience. That whale lied in wait for 19 years before striking.

They say that elephants never forget, but the whale must be up there too.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 9,900 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

Pretty brutal that this is the third death associated with the whale. Maybe he just doesn't like being in a cage..

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 8,555 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:55 PM

1991: Sealand whale kills trainer

1992: Sealand closes.

As soon as I saw on CNN an orca had killed a trainer I wondered if it was Tillikum.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

These whales would probably not survive in the wild, but it is time to set them free and put an end to whale captivity.

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:24 PM

Maybe he just doesn't like being in a cage.

Don't be silly. He just didn't receive the memo about the name change from "Killer Whale" to "Orca". It's all just a simple misunderstanding.

I'm always amazed at the equivocation that goes on whenever there's an incident such as this:

...he has been involved in previous human deaths, including in 1991 when a part-time trainer at the Sealand of the Pacific facility in Canada was killed in his tank...

http://news.smh.com....00225-p49c.html

Folks, if these whales are as intelligent as we like to think they are then we should expect them to want to thrash us for the crappy things we do to them. Why on earth do so many people feel compelled to apologize for the whales? Oh, they're really nice when you get right down to it. But sometimes they have bad days. And they just don't know their own strength. Blah blah blah. Give me a break!

If I was a whale stuck in a fishbowl, I like to think I'd kill anyone who came within reach. And I wouldn't sweat it one bit if the human race judged me for being a nasty SOB. I wouldn't be aware of it one way or the other.

We're still treating them as if they're dimwitted human beings in fish costumes.

#6 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:35 AM

I'd like to think that the reason this has happened, is because they are bored, not because they decided to kill a human being.

I've spent quite a bit of time with Orca's on whale watching boats around Vancouver Island and last year had the most exciting experience when out in my inflatable kayak, "L-Pod" came by Sooke and we were caught up amongst them, and 4-5 went right under my kayak.

I wasn't scared as much as thrilled. However one expert did mention to me they thought the part near the end of the video, after they swam underneath my kayak and came back, the younger Orca most likely had intentions of playing with the boat, trying to find out what it was and the female quickly steered it out of the way, which you can see.

Here is the video. It's 7 minutes long and it you want to see just the action, start from the half way point.

Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#7 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

Serial killer whale...

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:00 PM

I'd like to think that the reason this has happened, is because they are bored, not because they decided to kill a human being.

Fair enough, but my point is, what's the difference?

If a cat is bored and plays with a mouse, is there some sort of ethical boundary that the cat won't cross? Of course not. Whoops, I killed the mouse. So sue me.

Humans have no safety lock that prevents them from killing whales. Whales have no safety lock that prevents them from killing any other animals (including land animals such as deer, moose, etc.). So why would we think whales would have a safety lock that prevents them from killing humans?

We're supposed to believe that dolphins and whales are magnificently intelligent and aware, but we're also supposed to believe that dolphins and whales would never ever catch on to the fact that we've abducted them from their native environment, stuffed them into a fish tank, and manipulated them to perform silly tricks.

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:24 PM

The trainer was talking about the creature to a group of visitors when it swam around the tank, leapt out and grabbed the woman by the waist with his jaws and then thrashed her about until her shoes came off, according to a witness.

"He was thrashing her around pretty good," said Victoria Biniak. "It was violent."

Killer whale expert Nancy Black told WKMG television said that the killing could have been an accident, with the whale thinking it was playing a game.

"They are very intelligent creatures," Black said. "They have emotions, and feelings. Maybe it was unhappy in the situation. Maybe it was bored."

http://www.guardian....r-whale-florida

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

Killer Whale accidentally kills pelican:

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

What on earth is going on? First whales ignore their code of non-violence toward humans, and now wolves, too? It's as if these animals have forgotten the rules.

Since the killing, village life has changed. Residents are afraid to walk alone, and rifles now ride shotgun in vehicles.

Chignik Lake's school mascot is the wolf, and Aleck is spearheading a campaign to change it. "We need a new mascot for the village. I can't go on cheering for something who did this to another human," she said in a telephone interview.

Villagers have also taken down a stuffed wolf that had been in the school lobby.

"We feel like we're trapped. The hills around us, they don’t look safe anymore to the people in the village," Aleck said.

"There's still more wolves out there and I don't think this village will ever be the same again."

http://www.msnbc.msn...s/us_news-life/

I don't blame them for feeling betrayed. The world was a much simpler place back when wolves weren't deadly predators. Everything has changed now. I hope somebody gets fired for this.

(In case anyone can't tell, I'm not mocking the tragedy but rather the sheer stupidity of these politically correct attitudes toward wild animals.)

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 8,555 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

The current issue of Outside magazine has a lengthy feature article on the Tilikum incident.

http://outside.away....orld.html?imw=Y

A harrowing story. Highly recommended.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

Tillikum's return to public performances this week is making headlines around the world.

Officials defended the orca’s comeback. Kelly Flaherty Clark, the park’s animal training curator, said returning to performing was important for the whale’s “physical, social and mental enrichment”.

She added: “He has been regularly interacting with his trainers and the other whales for purposes of training, exercise and social and mental stimulation, and has enjoyed access to all of the pools in the Shamu Stadium.”

Read more: http://www.express.c...k#ixzz1Hm6fOswr

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Initially kept at a low-rent Toronto theme park, Tilikum's life is portrayed as little more than a living hell for the first handful of years.

http://www.eyeforfil...amber-wilkinson

#15 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

^Victoria left on the cutting-room floor?

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 8,555 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

The documentary Blackfish is making the rounds starring our old Sealand pal Tillikum. The haunting poster was one of the best of the year--a far cry from the cuddy mascots shoved in our face year long.

Edited by Holden West, 03 January 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#17 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

Might even be some fallout for Seaworld over it

http://www.heavy.com...kfish-articles/

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,232 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

The documentary Blackfish is making the rounds starring our old Sealand pal Tillikum. The haunting poster was one of the best of the year--a far cry from the cuddy mascots shoved in our face year long.

Just watched it last week, it's an amazing documentary - and I mean this from whatever side you are on the issue.  Worth seeing I think, for everyone.  Yup, Sealand gets some pretty heavy coverage, but perhaps the most compelling part of the film is the footage of them capturing young whales in Puget Sound.

TALK about Downtown Victoria on FaceBook: I ❤ Downtown Victoria or TALK about Sidney on FaceBook: I ❤ Sidney

#19 jonny

jonny
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

Do they still capture whales? If so, under what authority? I would figure that if whaling is illegal capturing whales for show would be as well. I assumed most animals in captivity were born in captivity.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,232 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Do they still capture whales? If so, under what authority? I would figure that if whaling is illegal capturing whales for show would be as well. I assumed most animals in captivity were born in captivity.

No captures in US waters since 1972.  The documentary shows how after 1972 they promptly got whales from Iceland waters.  One of the reasons they wanted Tillikum is for stud, the documentary showed how many offspring are his.  Male orcas are trained to float on their backs, and their trainers masturbate them to collect their sperm. Females are artificially inseminated.  The documentary also suggested using an aggressive whale like Tillikum for stud is not a good idea, possibly passing on the aggressive trait to the offspring.  

TALK about Downtown Victoria on FaceBook: I ❤ Downtown Victoria or TALK about Sidney on FaceBook: I ❤ Sidney

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users