Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Juliet condo | 44m | 14-storeys | Built - completed in Oct 2008

• Please log in to reply
556 replies to this topic

#41 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:41 PM

The pedestrian walkway has a giant roof on top, is this for a site office?

I was walking up Yates Street this evening at 6:30 and I noticed they had closed off the south bound lane of Blanshard Street. They had a very large crane lifting trailers onto the roof of the pedestrian walkway.

#42 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:47 PM

I too noticed the boxes had been lifted on there today.

It's so nice to see this building going up!!!

#43 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

Here are some photos of Chard's Juliet Model. I took them the other day when I went through his show suite.

By the way his show suite is truly amazing. Very well done.

#44 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:47 PM

What about that big blank wall along the Ocean Island parking lot?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#45 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:51 PM

hahahahaa...

Well at least a part of that would be covered but the rest of the wall would be exposed to everyone....

Good point!!!

It's not too late to change this wall. Maybe we should contact him!!!

#46 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:09 PM

That wall is fine. In two decades a building will be built beside Juliet to cover it's blank north wall.

#47 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:33 PM

No the back packers inn is a heritage building...unless it burned down or got crumbled by an earthquake etc, I don't think anything will get built there.

#48 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:20 AM

What about expanding onto the parking lot as either a new building, or simply more backpacking space?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#49 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:48 AM

This is true....

Hmmm Now that reminds me.

didn't the back packers inn have a rezoning application being considered for something?

I remember something about this from the summer.

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:46 AM

It's just a minor parking variance they're asking for.

Maybe they can run some wisteria on that blank wall, eh?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#51 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:38 PM

Hmmm Maybe we can talk to David Chard into making this more attractive.

Gotta love those vines!!! :lol:

#52 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

I like that buildings design!

Very good looking, it should fit in with the near by neighborhood relatively well. Those top-floor residents should end up getting a good view of either the downtown core itself of Mount Doug out on the North side.

Cool.

Ben

#53 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:58 PM

They're offering 10 to 15 G's right now for furniture purchase, depending on what unit you buy, it's looking better all the time as an invester!

#54 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:09 PM

Hmm...perhaps a sign they're trying to jumpstart sales. I hope this doesn't discourage developers from trying to bring low-end product to market.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

The Juliet is not currently selling units -- only taking reservations. The first phase sales were capped off and the second phase sales will begin later in the fall (November, I believe). This will help keep costs in check in light of increasing construction costs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:13 AM

Derf, what was the figure again that Chard was paying the city for the side walk over hanging boxes??

200,000 dollars I think, am I right???

#57 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:23 AM

^ Well that will encourage them to get the building going at least.

I thought they were like 40 % spoken for already.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:24 AM

Yeah, he's paying about that for the privelege of putting up sidewalk barriers. That's a good chunk of cash.

G, only 16 or so units have sold at this point because the first phase sales were capped off immediately after the launch.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#59 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:56 AM

I don't get this "phase" talk. It's all one building--why the arbitrary cap on pre-sales? Either it's for sale or it's not. Is this an ethics thing or a sales technique to build demand?

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:00 AM

It's a technique for managing construction costs. If you pre-sell two years before construction ends you run the risk of pulling a "Max." (i.e. Bambu; Castana :))

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users