- - - - -

Where do you buy your groceries?

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#1 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

I recently moved into vic west, and because of the short walk, I started shopping at Save on Foods. I used to live near hillside mall, and would shop at Thrifty's there. I cannot believe the difference! The stores are like night and day. A few specific examples:

- I wanted to make a peppercorn sauce for steaks, and Save On did not carry Green Peppercorns in brine. The guy looked at me like I was lying. I went to Thrifty's in James Bay.

- Save on does not carry Creme Fraiche. Another product that is always sold out at Thrifty's Hillside because its one of the few places that sell it

- The Seafood section is embarassing. No live seafood, no sashimi grade tuna, the halibut is this previously frozen day old stuff.

- The meat counter rarely carries Beef Tenderloin

- The bakery doesnt sell cheese sticks!

I do not understand why Westside village decided on a Save On Foods. Its an area of upperscale condos I thought, and I would think those types of people would want a better selection of foods to cook with.

So my question to you is, where do you buy your groceries? How far are you willing to travel? Will you go different places for seafood, meat, and canned/boxed goods?

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

I shop at Wellburn's, and I presume it also has none of the stuff you are talking about. But that's just me.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:36 AM

If your theory is correct, SOF might be better off changing their store into an Urban Fare, although an upscale grocery would probably do better right downtown.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

I shop at Oxford Foods for most of my staples. The prices are amazing there. I would never buy my meat or fish there. That's just asking for trouble. I used to have to buy meat and fish from Thrifty's, but now I can get it at Island Meat and Fish in Cook St. Village. The stuff is fresh, and the prices are very competitive. I sometimes get my bread at Bubby Rose's and my produce at Ambrosia, but most of the time I pick up everything but meat and fish at Oxford. Now I never have to get into my car.

#5 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

Save On Foods is useless. I work across the street and almost never find anything I want there. Everything is low end premade meals. Save on Foods is groceries for the lowest common denominator. I have said in the past that Westside village does Dockside no favors.

I shop at Market on Yates because its a block from where I live, and Costco because it's half the price of Market on Yates.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

I was shopping at Thrifty's for years. Recently switched to Safeway for reasons I have been very vocal about here for a while. Thrifty's has a great selection in the meat and seafood department and carries many things I simply cannot find at Safeway.

My cooking is mostly limited to re-heating anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

Mostly thrifties but I've been dismayed at their recent switch to carrying only Chiquita bananas, and not exactly wanting to support death squads I try to avoid stores that carry them.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:13 AM

Safeway, Thrifty's, Red Barn, butcher's, bakeries and some smaller outlets.
I still cook a full meal everyday even though there's just two of us.

#9 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:27 AM

I was shopping at Thrifty's for years. Recently switched to Safeway for reasons I have been very vocal about here for a while. Thrifty's has a great selection in the meat and seafood department and carries many things I simply cannot find at Safeway.

My cooking is mostly limited to re-heating anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Eating re-heated food, living in a condo that's driving you crazy because of the noise, working a job that won't allow you to afford anything else.

Wow, you're really living the dream, eh? ;)

#10 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

I shop at a number of locations

Fairway at Gorge and Tillicum for the day to day groceries
Root Cellar for my veg, hard to beat their quality or price
Real Canadian Warehouse store in Esquimalt - I have four boys and need to buy many things in volumes most people do not. They are a great source for meat in bulk. I often buy a whole beef tenderloin there for a very low price $5.50 a lb is not uncommon.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:45 AM

I recently moved into vic west, and because of the short walk, I started shopping at Save on Foods. I used to live near hillside mall, and would shop at Thrifty's there. I cannot believe the difference! The stores are like night and day. A few specific examples:

- I wanted to make a peppercorn sauce for steaks, and Save On did not carry Green Peppercorns in brine. The guy looked at me like I was lying. I went to Thrifty's in James Bay.

- Save on does not carry Creme Fraiche. Another product that is always sold out at Thrifty's Hillside because its one of the few places that sell it

- The Seafood section is embarassing. No live seafood, no sashimi grade tuna, the halibut is this previously frozen day old stuff.

- The meat counter rarely carries Beef Tenderloin

- The bakery doesnt sell cheese sticks!

I do not understand why Westside village decided on a Save On Foods. Its an area of upperscale condos I thought, and I would think those types of people would want a better selection of foods to cook with.

So my question to you is, where do you buy your groceries? How far are you willing to travel? Will you go different places for seafood, meat, and canned/boxed goods?

I agree SOF at TYee is a disaster. They have almost no organic veggies and their seafood dept. is an embarassment. I used to stop in and grab things there but now avoid it like the plague.

You would think all those enviro-yuppies at Dockside would complained enough for them to change their ways...

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

As for where I shop -

Mostly at Fairways in Quadra Village.
Meat I get at the Quadra Village Butcher - all organic and most from Vancouver Island. Of course no pork here.

Fish usually at Thrifty's or FAS in James Bay.

Now that the liquor store has opened up in Quadra Village I can do 90 % of my shopping in the Village!

#13 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

As for where I shop -

Meat I get at the Quadra Village Butcher - all organic and most from Vancouver Island. Of course no pork here.

There's a halal or koshur butcher in Victoria?

As for me:
  • Thirfty's for big grocery shops
  • Walmart for sundries/household staples
  • New CSV butcher for fresh meat/fish
  • Bubby Rose for fresh bread
I did do a huge grocery shop at the megatron super WalMart in Duncan (on my way back from Honeymoon Bay). I have to say that the selection was decent and if I were to have bought it all at Thrifty's, I would have likely had to have forked over an additional $30-50. I can't wait for the new one to open at Uptown.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

Now that the liquor store has opened up in Quadra Village I can do 90 % of my shopping in the Village!

It should be noted that prior to the liquor store opening, G could only do about 12% of his shopping there. :D

I'm looking at opening a pork-only butcher in the Quadra Street Village to fill a void. Bacon will always be 10% less than anywhere else in town.

#15 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

I remember when Save-On was first opening here. It was an unstoppable monster that was going to destroy every other grocery store in Greater Victoria.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

I'm looking at opening a pork-only butcher in the Quadra Street Village to fill a void. Bacon will always be 10% less than anywhere else in town.

You need to diversify. If another swine flu scare hits you'll be out of business in no time :o

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

You need to diversify. If another swine flu scare hits you'll be out of business in no time :o

Right, I'll also do game hens then. I don't think there is any type of bird flu. :cool:

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

I remember when Save-On was first opening here. It was an unstoppable monster that was going to destroy every other grocery store in Greater Victoria.

Yes, I recall this too. Safeway actually felt most threatened, because really they were still the biggest player.

#19 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

Fairway for everyday items because its at the foot of my street. Costco for cheese, rack of lamb and pork tenderloins plus olive oil, chips, maple syrup, cereal and other packaged items.
Thrifty's not too much. Yes their fresh fruit and veg are excellent but their prices for packaged stuff are a gouge.
Oxford for some packaged stuff but not meat or fish:o
Superstores for olives, pet food, salsa and mushrooms in Esquimalt (always $1.88/lb)

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

Right, I'll also do game hens then. I don't think there is any type of bird flu. :cool:

Better to stick with beef. No risk of Mad Cow Disease :P

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users