302 replies to this topic

#261 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

Oh right right.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#262 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

[Oxford Foods] I like that their prices for several items (I favour their bananas, yams & sweet potatoes), are consistently lower (and a real bargain when on sale). 

jbw

Well, that'll teach me to post praise about local bargains.  I was by Oxford Foods this afternoon and the "sale" price of yams & sweet potatoes was $0.99/lb (the invariable 'regular' sale price there used to be $0.79/lb with $0.49 - $0.69/lb as their 'real' sale price). 

jbw

#263 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

Lord, I went into Alpine Market today.  Golly, they had a chance to start anew in their new space.  To put it mildly, these guys are not exactly the best merchandisers you'll ever meet.  As you enter the front left corner is some type of a jewellery manufacturing operation, with super low-budget signage, so very odd.  And the back of the store is very loaded with housewares, and some just plain odd stuff.

I bought a pop and of course it was from a cooler than was turned off or broken.  No light in the cooler, and the thing was sort of luke warm.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#264 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

^I was walking by there yesterday and thought, what the hell. I half expected Philo Farnsworth or the Wright Brothers to step in that booth to continue tinkering on their latest invention.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#265 Powerforward

Powerforward
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

Video from the Globe and Mail about self checkouts, the Market on Yates is featured:

http://www.theglobea...rticle18675385/

#266 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

About 50 underperforming Sobeys stores to close, mostly in Western Canada

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.c...1#ixzz35lXNb7u1

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#267 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

As of September 10, 2014 you will no longer be able to swipe your Club Thrifty Foods card or redeem your points store.

Instead, starting September 10, you will be able to swipe your Air Miles* Collector Card every time you shop at Thrifty Foods.

(14 Club Thrifty Foods points = 1 AIR MILES reward miles.)

https://www.clubthri...ember/Link.page

#268 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

Lame but good for Save-on

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#269 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

^Why good for Save-On?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#270 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

Probably because the Save-On-More care just lets you collect points for Save-On, and doesn't involve an Air Miles card?

#271 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

Exactly. The card has actually made me shop at Thrifty's over others. I could care less about airmiles though.

It has a whole new look!

#272 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

I think this was a VERY dumb marketing move by Thrifty's. What better loyalty builder than a card in your wallet with the store's name on it? Safeway, Save-on and now Quality Foods all have their own loyalty cards. Now it will just be a generic Air Miles card, which I don't have and don't want. And how is having that card among other than others going to remind me to shop at Thriftys?

#273 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

I suspect part of their statistics that they used to determine whether to switch is how many of their card holders automatically transfer points to Aeroplan.

#274 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

Anyone that doesn't want to collect Airmiles for themselves can recieve an additional on of my cards and donate your points to my cause
  • Matt R. likes this

#275 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

I'm assuming Sobeys is doing the same thing as Thrifty's only started a loyalty program after the acquisition.

• bluefox likes this

#276 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Sobeys had the Airmiles rights to the East. Now they have across the country.

#277 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

I think this was a VERY dumb marketing move by Thrifty's. What better loyalty builder than a card in your wallet with the store's name on it? Safeway, Save-on and now Quality Foods all have their own loyalty cards. Now it will just be a generic Air Miles card, which I don't have and don't want. And how is having that card among other than others going to remind me to shop at Thriftys?

I have been a long time supporter of Thrifty's and have a Club Card that has earned me points, which I accumulate until have enough to knock a few bucks off of my next grocery bill. With the new program I don't have to carry the extra card and can now swipe my existing Air Miles Collector card to earn "miles". These "miles can be used to reduce the cost of flights, hotels and an assortment of other goodies.

I like the new program and it is one of the reasons I will continue to shop at Thrifty Foods.

#278 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

But if you don't use air miles seems like little point.

It has a whole new look!

#279 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

It has a whole new look!

#280 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

What do you use, and why?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users