13 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:10 AM

VICTORIA TO PURSUE 2012 UBCM CONVENTION

Mar 18, 2010

KELOWNA'S LOSS COULD BE VICTORIA'S GAIN. VICTORIA HAS BEEN APPROACHED TO HOST THE 2012 UNION OF BC MUNICIPALITIES CONVENTION AFTER KELOWNA ANNOUNCED IT CAN NO LONGER HOST.

[...]

http://cfax1070.com/...hp?newsId=12835

TEN YEARS AGO VICTORIA WAS AWARDED THE UBCM CONVENTION FOR 2014.

Really? They award it 14 years in advance? Jesus, it's not the Olympics.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:52 AM

Victoria to host 2012 UBCM convention

Capacity problems in Kelowna result in $2-million gain for capital

By Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist
March 20, 2010 2:02 AM

Victoria is poised to pick up millions in tourism revenue from a Union of B.C. Municipalities convention in 2012, now that Kelowna has bowed out.

[...]

http://www.timescolo...6334/story.html

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:43 PM

This is great for Victoria, even though Kelowna's too small and Vancouver automatically gets it every other year, leaving a pretty short list of candidates so this is not exactly like winning the lottery. Actually, it kinda is--the $2.00 on the scratch and win.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:55 AM

I guess we never got the 2014 one after we got the 2012 one.

http://www.ubcm.ca/E...onventions.html

Anyway, it's back here this September.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:03 AM

^Cache Creek bowed out?

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:52 AM

Nah, the real reason is every single mayor in the province wants to watch Helps have brunch with William and Kate.

... and there's always that niggling fact that 90% of BC's municipalities are in the CRD.
  • Nparker, rjag and tedward like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

Nah, the real reason is every single mayor in the province wants to watch Helps have brunch with William and Kate.

... and there's always that niggling fact that 90% of BC's municipalities are in the CRD.

We have 13 of the 189 apparently.

http://www.cra-arc.g...bc-lst-eng.html

50 cities.

47 districts.

6 others.

30 or so regional districts.

17 towns or townships.

43 villages.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:08 AM

Whatever.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:23 AM

I wonder what will be showcased by Victoria?

• All the interconnected network of bike lanes that sit empty?
  • Beacon hill park road closures to discourage non-existant rush hour traffic shortcuts?
  • Lower speed limits on main roads as opposed to residential side streets?
  • Perhaps a plaque unveiled recognizing tent city?

Did I miss anything?

Edited by rjag, 22 August 2016 - 11:24 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#10 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

Whimsically coloured crosswalks?

• Nparker and rjag like this

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:27 PM

Making the most of illegal marijuana dispensaries aka "breaking the law for fun, but so little public profit".

• rjag likes this

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

No kidding, there is a workshop on tent cities.

http://www.ubcm.ca/E...nformation.html

screenshot-www.ubcm.ca 2016-08-22 13-31-58.png

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:09 PM

:whyme:

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

This year’s resolutions are light on ideas to save taxpayers money — but not on ways to claw more dollars out of people’s pockets. Duncan wants a cut of future marijuana taxes for cities. Sun Peaks wants an Airbnb tax. Williams Lake wants higher bylaw infraction fines. Penticton wants to tax vacant land at a higher rate than its zoning allows. And Terrace wants to do the same with brownfields. Langley City wants to split residential taxation into two classes so they can charge townhouse and condo owners more.

There are also dozens of motions that show councils still haven’t learned that there’s only one taxpayer. West Kelowna wants the Christy Clark government to waive the provincial sales tax on infrastructure projects. Sure, the city would save a few bucks, but taxpayers would be no further ahead, as the provincial treasury would be out that revenue. Someone always pays: the taxpayer.

In that same vein, Harrison Hot Springs wants infrastructure projects funded 50 per cent by the federal government, 40 per cent by the provincial government, and 10 per cent by municipalities — moving seven percentage points from the city’s share to the province. But whatever level of government the money comes from, it’s still out of taxpayers’ pockets.

Several corporate welfare programs are pitched — Lake Cowichan wants government to pay private business owners to improve their storefronts. Columbia-Shuswap wants a tax credit for people who invest in rural businesses, while Alberni-Clayoquot wants government to pay for farms to harvest rainwater.

http://theprovince.c...d-at-city-halls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users