Photo

History of Saloons, Beer Parlour & Pubs Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#41 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

I'm wondering what year First Nations persons were legally allowed to drink in beer parlours. it's a bit confusing as I've read as early as 1947 but as late as 1968?

I read they received the Provincial franchise around 1947 but did not have equal access until 1964?
Anyone have a definitive date?

#42 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

I know that the federal Indian Act (1876) prohibited First Nations people from buying, selling or consuming alcohol or from being employed in places that served alcohol, and these prohibitions remained in effect until the 1950s. You could try contacting John Lutz, a historian at UVic, if nobody else here can answer your question. He is an expert in B.C. and First Nations history and just won a prestigious prize for his book Makuk: A New History of Aboriginal-White Relations.

#43 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:07 AM

I know that the federal Indian Act (1876) prohibited First Nations people from buying, selling or consuming alcohol or from being employed in places that served alcohol, and these prohibitions remained in effect until the 1950s. You could try contacting John Lutz, a historian at UVic, if nobody else here can answer your question. He is an expert in B.C. and First Nations history and just won a prestigious prize for his book Makuk: A New History of Aboriginal-White Relations.

Thank-you. So far I found that Federal law rescinded the prohibition of liquor to First Nations persons in 1951 but it took somewhat longer for general acceptance and admittance of aboriginals into beer parlours and liquor stores.

#44 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

A bunch of us kids went to the King's Hotel because none of us had seen an actual real nekkid lady. We nursed our $1.25 glasses of beer until the burly beerman told us to buy another round or get lost.

That was the site of my first "bar beer" too! That was circa 1985.

#45 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

What is a beer bar and what is the reference to 1985?

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

What is a beer bar and what is the reference to 1985?

The first time he had a beer in a bar, and the year was about 1985.

#47 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:29 AM

Great thank-you, I found my glasses and turned up my hearing-aid.
Didn't Paul McCartney sing, "No one ever left alive in nineteen hundred and eighty five will ever do"?

There are precious few of the old pubs left - one should get there with their camera's before they are all gone.

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:44 AM

Great thank-you, I found my glasses and turned up my hearing-aid.
Didn't Paul McCartney sing, "No one ever left alive in nineteen hundred and eighty five will ever do"?

There are precious few of the old pubs left - one should get there with their camera's before they are all gone.

I still pop into the Funky Winker Bean in Vancouver when I'm in town.

#49 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:50 AM

For those of you with fond memories of the Cherry Bank Hotel, I have put together this set which I will be adding to over the coming months. Please email me any images you may have (either your own, community owned, or with the photographers permission, and we can build a great visual record of that once popular hotel.
http://www.flickr.co...57624005373404/

If interested I would like to create a group on flickr in which we take a building (example, Cherry Bank) and all add our knowledge, photographs, stories and/or personal experiences of that place. We pool this information together to form a better understanding of that place but more importantly an historic record for future generations. My email is glen54@telus.net if interested or you have an opinion.

#50 Garth Pettersen

Garth Pettersen
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

A number of years ago, a couple of my father's (born 1917 & now deceased) drinking buddies put together a list of all the drinking establishments in Victoria from 1887 to 1908 that they could remember. I just located it, if you're interested.
Also, was there a hotel and bar on Dallas Road at Clover Point in the 1890's, do you know?
Also, also, on the corner of Douglas and Johnson where I think there is a coffee shop (it used to be Dorman's Men's Wear in the 60s) there was a pub that boasted the "longest bar in town". Its name I don't know. Ciao.

Garth

#51 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

^Your Dad was born in 1917 and he was supposed to remember what drinking establishments existed in 1887????
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#52 EskimoDave

EskimoDave
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

A number of years ago, a couple of my father's (born 1917 & now deceased) drinking buddies put together a list of all the drinking establishments in Victoria from 1887 to 1908 that they could remember. I just located it, if you're interested.
Also, was there a hotel and bar on Dallas Road at Clover Point in the 1890's, do you know?
Also, also, on the corner of Douglas and Johnson where I think there is a coffee shop (it used to be Dorman's Men's Wear in the 60s) there was a pub that boasted the "longest bar in town". Its name I don't know. Ciao.

Garth

If you could, post that info right here in this thread.
http://beerontherock.com, a comprehensive Vancouver Island beer blog.

#53 Garth Pettersen

Garth Pettersen
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

I would post the list, but don't know how to do that other than retyping it all. I've scanned the 2 page list. Advice on how to attach it?

#54 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:06 PM

You can host scanned images to a picture hosting site and then you just cut and paste the link.

#55 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:41 AM

garricks head has been around a little while. off and on over the years. first opened our doors in 1867.
we have some old pictures hanging in the pub.

#56 Garth Pettersen

Garth Pettersen
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

http://img641.images...sc0006a96e.jpg/

This is the link to the 2 pages of saloons 1887-1908.

Garth

#57 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:04 PM

http://img641.images...sc0006a96e.jpg/

This is the link to the 2 pages of saloons 1887-1908.

Garth

Hi Garth,

I haven't been around for a while as I recorded my debut CD of fifteen songs.
I certainly like the two lists you've scanned - give me a few days to go over the material as I find them very interesting. Most that know me are familiar with my lists of both Victoria saloons/hotels and the Vancouver list.
https://docs.google....zhn&hl=en&pli=1

Thanks for posting.

#58 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

garricks head has been around a little while. off and on over the years. first opened our doors in 1867.
we have some old pictures hanging in the pub.

There are two references to the opening of the Garrick's Head (which shut down in 1914) the first was, January 19, 1871 and the second was December 31, 1867.

The research continues to find the exact date.

#59 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

^Your Dad was born in 1917 and he was supposed to remember what drinking establishments existed in 1887????

I was born in 1954 and I researched the information (actually initially just asked my older friends) what the first beer parlour was in Victoria, BC which opened in 1954. So I believe that statement is reasonable.

#60 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

Garth

The Cliff House, was near but not on Clover Point is the Hotel/bar you are refering to. The land was sold out of Sir James Douglas' parcel of land and the hotel operated from the 1860's to 1905.
I love how almost every bar owner used to boast the longest bar, or the best prices or the oldest Inn etc... One has to do in-depth research to determine the facts and sometimes the facts simply are no longer available.
That's why I am writing two books on the local bars, saloons, Inn's Hotels, and beer parlours of Greater Victoria. The first book will cover the early period of Drinking Establishements (1851 to 1917) and the second period will cover the first beer parlours in Greater Victoria (1925-2000) Victoria City did not allow beer by the glass until 1954.

Now that bar at the corner of Douglas and Johnson: I'm assuming you mean 1328 Douglas Street, southwest corner of Douglas & Johnson? That has been many things but when it was first built it house a CPR Hotel which became the Regent Saloon (1889) with a cigar factory above. The building was extended in 1910 Charles B. McCluskey was the owner and it was writeen that "The bar was notoriously rowdy". The Meldram Brothers owned the place in the early 1900's and it closed in 1914 due to the law that stated stand along saloons had to have a hotel attached.

As for bars with long bars: The Brown Jug (original one not the 1960's-1970's version on Broad Street) was located on the southeast corner of Fort Street and Government and lasted from January 23, 1861 to October 1917 when prohibition closed the bar. They had one long bar. But you must remember (or now know) that Victoria boasted over 85 saloons in the late 1880's (most were licensed) and only a handful of the buildings that once housed a saloon or hotel-bar are now long gone.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users