University of Victoria (UVic) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
732 replies to this topic

#181 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:58 PM

Joseph Trutch is remembered as B.C.'s first lieutenant-governor, an engineer and commissioner of public works.

But he is also remembered as a man who trampled over the rights of B.C.'s Indigenous peoples in the 19th century, which is why the University of Victoria is removing his name from one of its residence buildings.

UVic's board of governors made the decision last week after what one former student says was a years-long campaign.

"When I was elected, it wasn't a new topic. ... There's this ugly name for this building on campus that really touches a lot of hearts in terms of the legacy of that name," said Blake Desjarlais, a former member of UVic's Native Student Union.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4147789?cmp=rss

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#182 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

Changes coming to the former Queenswood property

Plans to convert a former care facility once run by a religious order into a research centre investigating climate change are moving forward...UVic acquired the facility when it purchased the so-called Queenswood property...UVic now plans to reuse the facility for its Ocean and Climate Research Campus and has submitted a site specific rezoning application...Ocean Network Canada (ONC) and other researchers would occupy the facility...

http://www.vicnews.c...public-hearing/

#183 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:35 AM

🔹UVic to offer philosophy studies to inmates at the Wilkinson Road correctional facility🔹

A first-of-its-kind course will bring students from Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre (VIRCC) and the University of Victoria together this fall to grapple with life’s big existential questions.

The new partnership between UVic’s Faculty of Humanities and BC Corrections puts a powerful spin on experiential learning, with 10 UVic students set to join 10 students “on the inside” for weekly classes starting Sept. 5 for three months.

UVic philosopher Audrey Yap was inspired to create the new course, called “Conceptions of Justice and Engaged Pedagogy,” after the success of the Inside Out Prison Exchange Program, which runs at two Vancouver Island universities and was founded in 1997 in Philadelphia.

The UVic course features an important twist—rather than studying criminology as Inside Out students do, the UVic class at VIRCC will be reading and discussing works by the writer Ursula K. Le Guin, feminist scholar bell hooks, civil rights leader Martin Luther King and writer Albert Camus, including his essay “The Myth of Sisyphus.”

“What underlies this course is the transformative power of education, but also different ways of looking at education, in which it is not simply the transmission of knowledge from one party to another, but the co-creation of knowledge by people with different perspectives on and experiences of the world,” says Yap.

Yap, an associate professor in the Department of Philosophy, ran a successful pilot last year at the Wilkinson Road jail with incarcerated students from VIRCC’s Right Living Community, which uses role modeling, social learning and peer accountability to support positive changes in thinking and behaviour.

She worked with UVic alumnus Adam Donaldson on the pilot as part of an independent directed study in his fourth year at UVic. He graduated last year with a major in history and minor in philosophy, and is now in Toronto pursuing graduate studies at Osgoode Hall Law School after having worked in policy for BC Corrections while still a student at UVic.

Yap, who also teaches in UVic’s free University 101 program for students who have faced barriers to education, says the goal of the new course is to make philosophy accessible to the 10 students in custody while bringing the 10 UVic students face-to-face with the principles and practices of restorative justice.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#184 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:53 AM

map-uvic-campus-green-way.jpg
https://www.timescol...tory-1.24048942

• Bernard and Brantastic like this

#185 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:14 AM

In Montreal, students at McGill will see classes delivered largely through remote platforms, while the Universite de Montreal says only a few courses or parts of courses will take place on campus.

UBC says larger classes will be held online, with a select number of smaller classes conducted in person in accordance with physical distancing and other guidelines.

The University of Ottawa, meanwhile, says all its classes, with some exceptions, will include a distance-learning option in September.

Post-secondary institutions across Canada were forced to close their campuses in March due to the COVID-19 health crisis, and rapidly shifted their classes online.

https://www.timescol...line-1.24133591

i don't know.  to me this should be the beginning of a big upheaval in education.  apart from labs (really only in a small core of subjects) i'm not sure why anyone needs to attend campus.  YouTube Zoom etc.

universities really have been slow to evolve.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2020 - 05:15 AM.

• A Girl is No one and max.bravo like this

#186 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:09 AM

i don't know.  to me this should be the beginning of a big upheaval in education.  apart from labs (really only in a small core of subjects) i'm not sure why anyone needs to attend campus.  YouTube Zoom etc.

universities really have been slow to evolve.  

because then profs need to actually think of ways to evaluate what students learn other than exams. Unless they want them to go from "how good is your short term memory on facts you won't remember 10 minutes after you leave" to "how good are you at quickly Googling something"

#187 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:30 AM

There are plenty of online only universities, and they are well derided as substandard. There is a lot to be said for in person learning and how well it works vs online learning. I'm not saying that online learning doesn't work, and in this situation it needs to, however, long term, expect most classes to go back to relative 'normal'.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#188 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:32 AM

Although, there are the exceptions of first year auditorium classes. You’re on your own, kid, and a good prof will admit in the first week somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3s in that room won’t graduate university.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#189 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:32 AM

they are often derided by other traditional universities.

Billionaires like Peter Thiel who hire for real life businesses don’t care where students learn.

https://www.newsweek...ion-559261.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2020 - 06:34 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#190 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:34 AM

Although, there are the exceptions of first year auditorium classes. You’re on your own, kid, and a good prof will admit in the first week somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3s in that room won’t graduate university.

It's about 1/3rd that won't graduate, not 2/3rds  :teacher: .

#191 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:35 AM

they are often derided by other traditional universities.

Billionaires like Peter Thiel who hire for real life businesses don’t care where students learn.

https://www.newsweek...ion-559261.html

That's not going to change my stance on this (I do work at UVic). I'll take a beer bet with you on whether UVic is still more than 50% online courses or not in 5 years.

#192 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:35 AM

which is fine. they only went because of either family pressure or a lack of drive or creativity to take an alternate career or life route. or they just did not know what to do next.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2020 - 06:36 AM.

#193 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:36 AM

It's about 1/3rd that won't graduate, not 2/3rds :teacher: .

Hold on, you haven’t seen Victoria Watcher’s university yet!
  • Matt R., lanforod, Daveyboy and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#194 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:38 AM

my students mostly watch Jordan Peterson YouTube videos between takeoffs and landings in my planes since it can’t be that hard to fly a plane. apart from the takeoffs and landings. the rest of the trip is dead time.
  • Daveyboy likes this

#195 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:44 AM

I guess that explains the drop out* rate.

*drop out of the sky.

Know it all.

#196 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:26 AM

One factor with big implications is wider consumer choice. A friend need some CE credits to stay current in their profession. Normally this would mean a few summer courses at UVIC or Camosun, but since everything is now online anyway they're gonna do the courses via Queens (Kingston). Prices are about half through that university. 

I think this could pave the way for tuition drops among universities who want to stay competitive. However, for the big names (Harvard etc.) they could open up enrolment significantly and charge a lot more. It'll be interesting to watch how the universities handle this. 

#197 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:31 AM

Yes that’s interesting.

driving down price is admirable.

it should lead to the best lecturers working for more than one university. why limit the reach when you have live video?

We can thank Jordan Peterson for some of this.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2020 - 07:32 AM.

#198 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:37 AM

Jordan Peterson, indeed.

And yes, why are professors tethered to one institution? They should really be a brand, and use their teaching time to create content that can be licensed via their primary university.

Some professors are bloody awful at teaching and hate it. Others put blood, sweat and tears into ensuring their students leave after three months with a solid understanding of the subject matter. Why deny students that opportunity because they’ve landed the bad prof in one semester? That’s what bothered me about UVic, in that the good profs would fill their classes up and the bad profs would remain.

Know it all.

#199 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:55 AM

Dunno...I spent many happy years physically engaged on campus at UVic and later UBC and gained in the process invaluable learning experiences and met many people - some of which remain among my very best friends today, including a couple of profs - which I never would have been exposed to sitting on my butt online from home looking at a monitor. I think distance learning has its place but I wouldn't trade my on-campus years and time for anything personally.

• Nparker, gstc84 and lanforod like this

#200 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:03 AM

Dunno...I spent many happy years physically engaged on campus at UVic and later UBC and gained in the process invaluable learning experiences and met many people - some of which remain among my very best friends today, including a couple of profs - which I never would have been exposed to sitting on my butt online from home looking at a monitor. I think distance learning has its place but I wouldn't trade my on-campus years and time for anything personally.

now add up all the time you spent travelling back and forth to school.  plus dead time between classes.  and imagine if all that time you could have spent meeting amazing people in other ways.  imagine spending two 3-week terms each semester job-shadowing a leader etc.  imagine a better use for the thousands of dollars a rural student has to pay for room and board each year at a far-away campus.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2020 - 09:05 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users