Photo

Victoria restaurants in business for over 30 years

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:16 PM

Mrs. Shore and I got a rare, off-the-children's-leash night a few days ago, courtesy of my mother-in-law, and decided to go to Pags for dinner. As always, great everything, as we remembered it. However, there was a poster on the wall that got me to thinking about the restaurant business. It was a poster advertising their 10th anniversary in 1989, which means, ummm, carry the one...that Pags has been in business since 1979!
Question for you non-transplanted Victorians: How many other Victoria restaurants can you name that are still in business after 30 odd years? (not chains, so MacD's is out:rolleyes:)

Pauls? San Remo? Koto?
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

^ Good question NS, but just to add confusion to your quest, what was the name of the restaurant that was located there before Howie?

This skill testing question will be rewarded with a prize of one beer, or a martini if Martini guesses it.

Getting back to your question......how about "Brady's Fish and Chips" the location has moved a couple of doors down Burnside, the gal that owns it now was a former "fry cook"

Does that qualify? or does it need to be an original owner?

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:14 AM

Rathskeller?

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:25 AM

Rathskeller?

Good one.

How about the Oak Bay Marina? Different operators over the years tho

#5 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:29 AM

Beacon Drive-In is definitely 30+ years old.

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:19 AM

^ Good question NS, but just to add confusion to your quest, what was the name of the restaurant that was located there before Howie?

I don't remember if it was the same space, but upstairs was the Medieval Inn ( late '60's ?). You could order chicken and ribs from the wenches, and they allowed you to throw the bones onto the floor. I don't think they were in business too long.

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:20 AM

I think more like 50 years.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:35 AM

Wikipedia says 52.

#9 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:49 AM

^
It was there when I was little. 50 years June 2008.

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

Don Mee's, Foo Hong

#11 t-mitch4

t-mitch4
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:24 AM

Haultain Fish & Chips.

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:25 AM

That's what I was going to say.

Wing's used to be on Quadra Street before they moved to the Gorge so they've been around for about 30 years, I figure.

Eugene's has been in business for about that long, although the locations have moved around/come and gone.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

I don't remember if it was the same space, but upstairs was the Medieval Inn ( late '60's ?). You could order chicken and ribs from the wenches, and they allowed you to throw the bones onto the floor. I don't think they were in business too long.

The Mod's might want to move this trivia question, or maybe it will be over soon.

You are correct about the Medieval Inn, and yes that was upstairs.

There was a restaurant in the spot where Pag's is now owned by a Lady by the name of Mrs Brown (I could be wrong on the name) and she had a very unique feature hanging from the ceiling that related to the name of the restaurant.

Anybody remember?

#14 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:35 AM

Rathskeller?

I actually saw people entering the place the other day about 6pm. Never saw that before, it always seemed a phantom resto to me and I don't know anyone who has ever been there.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

McMorran's
Princess Mary

er....

How old is Vista 18 now? And when did it really stop spinning?

#16 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:45 AM

The Butter Dell

#17 t-mitch4

t-mitch4
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

Sea to You Fish & Chips - Shelbourne Plaza.

#18 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:10 AM

I actually saw people entering the place the other day about 6pm. Never saw that before, it always seemed a phantom resto to me and I don't know anyone who has ever been there.

I haven't been there in ages, but it's great for when you need to get your schnitzel on. You can also order a beer in a giant glass boot and iirc, they have an old German oompah band there on Saturday nights. Prost!

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

McMorran's
Princess Mary

er....

How old is Vista 18 now? And when did it really stop spinning?

Vista 18 used to be the Parrot House restaurant and I assume it opened around the same time as the hotel did in '75 or so.

The revolving restaurant stopped spinning in the mid 80s with an increase in maintenance problems and the installation of telecommunication antennas on the roof that required a stable platform.

Apple Tree restaurant in Hillside mall?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#20 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

James Bay Fish and Chips

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users