• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:59 PM

How old is Spinnakers?

And I assume the posh restaurant (not Bengal and not the tea room) in the Empress hasn't changed much over the years.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

I actually saw people entering the place the other day about 6pm. Never saw that before, it always seemed a phantom resto to me and I don't know anyone who has ever been there.

I have been there and it was one of the worst meals I ever had in a restaurant.

As to 30 years or more. There is a Chinese restaurant at Fort and Richmond, though it has a couple of owners and name changes.

The Keg on Quadra is over 30 (I am assuming it is still there, I alway forget about it being in existence and even have to drive by there on a regular basis)

Cafe Mexico could be at the 30 year mark now.

#23 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

Don Mee must be the oldest, didn't I hear or read somewhere it dates from 1923?

#24 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

Paul's

#25 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:57 PM

Mary's Cafe at the airport. 1940's?

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

The Keg on Quadra is over 30 (I am assuming it is still there, I alway forget about it being in existence and even have to drive by there on a regular basis)

Yes, in fact, Mrs. West's evil stepmother is going to the Quadra location rather than the Downtown one for an anniversary dinner tonight because she refuses to set foot in dangerous downtown where she might encounter a homeless person.

Mrs. West also says it is unlikely that Cafe Mexico is over 30 because it opened about the same time as the Paradise Grill and that was just over 20 years ago.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#27 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

Mrs. West also says it is unlikely that Cafe Mexico is over 30 because it opened about the same time as the Paradise Grill and that was just over 20 years ago.

Cafe Mexico was already open while I was at UVic in the 80s, though the date I am not certain off

#28 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:36 PM

I have been there and it was one of the worst meals I ever had in a restaurant.

To my German friends: Just ate in this place in Portland, and it was excellent. Maybe we should ask them to annex the Rathskeller. Could neue Küche be a coming trend?

#29 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:53 AM

McDonald's on Cedar Hill Cross and Shelbourne. A girlfriend and I used to take our kids there so it has to be more than 30 years old.

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:10 AM

^But are any of the McDonald's still in their original buildings?

Even the "new" Douglas St. McDonald's that replaced the old Douglas location is nearly 25 years old.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#31 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

Blethering Place on oak bay? Not sure WHY it's still open though...
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#32 TheCesspit

TheCesspit
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

How old is Spinnakers?

And I assume the posh restaurant (not Bengal and not the tea room) in the Empress hasn't changed much over the years.

Circa 1984 for Spinnaker's

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

^thanks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

Blethering Place on oak bay? Not sure WHY it's still open though...

Yes that is the worst restaurant on the planet.

#35 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

Romeo's on Hillside opened in 1974.

Samuel's Restaurant (in the Queen Victoria Inn) originally opened its doors in 1980, so it is now 30 years old.

The Dutch Bakery has been in operation since the 1950s.

#36 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

Don Mee's, Foo Hong

Foo Hongs is gone, the name has changed and so has the food. They destroyed a great restaurant

#37 t-mitch4

t-mitch4
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

Sam's Deli.

#38 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:23 PM

Foo Hongs is gone, the name has changed and so has the food. They destroyed a great restaurant

By they, you mean the guy that sold it right? The guy that bought it changed the name.

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:48 PM

I dragged Mrs. West to Foo Hong's when I heard it was closing so she could sample food from this legendary restaurant. I had to agree that the food was actually rather ordinary at best.

Ming's at Quadra and Johnson has been around for a long time, no?

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:50 PM

What about the restaurant in Zellers?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users