CANCELLED
Johnson Street Gateway
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1314-1324 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, live-work)
Sales status: in planning
The eight-storey Johnson Street Gateway/Northern Junk condominium and ground floor commercial development is c... (view full profile)
Learn more about Johnson Street Gateway on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Johnson Street Gateway (Northern Junk) | condos; commercial | 7-storeys | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1740 replies to this topic

#1421 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

Do you mean you own that building and will wrap it into your plan, or you simply want to consider it's heritage value and location, as a neighbour/component of the area?

They closed on the Guild building in the fall.

#1422 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:02 AM

Well, hopefully is will not cost them $300,000 for contaminated soil removal if the NJ tent city gets as bad as the last one.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1423 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

V V

As we move forward with the JSG design we are also watching for a good outcome on Reeson Park:

See:

http://www.victoria....eeson-park.html

Also we have the Guild Building at 1244 Wharf and we need to try to get that all working together.

Interested in your ideas and insights.

Jon Stovell

Nice designs, but until you get rid of the clientele currently frequenting Reeson Park, it won't attract anyone in their right mind. Have you been down there on a Friday night ? Nice little camp ground its turning in to.

#1424 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

It has now been over 4 months since the last post in this thread. This project has been sitting on simmer for far too long. Please tell me it is not being held up due to the JSB fiasco. 7 years have gone by since the city first received the application for redevelopment (August 2010) and almost a year has passed since the last revisions were submitted. This kind of delay is simply unacceptable.  :mad:

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1425 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:54 PM

...7 years have gone by since the city first received the application for redevelopment (August 2010) and almost a year has passed since the last revisions were submitted...

Another month and still nothing. Here's a brief summary from the CoV Development Tracker

wharf.JPG

#1426 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

Is the delay due to the CofV or the developer? Sorry if that's a silly question. Don't really understand the "city provides comments".....are they waiting on replies to the comments? Is that the hold-up?

#1427 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

Is the delay due to the CofV or the developer? ...

I suppose that depends on one's perspective. The developer has spent 7 years trying to come up with a design to please the "aesthetes" on Council. Who would you say is most responsible for the delay?

#1428 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

I get your point, totally, NP. Has the developer just given up though? Or have they replied to the comments of 11 months ago and are still awaiting a response?

#1429 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:49 PM

...Has the developer just given up though? ...

One could hardly blame them for giving up. I remain hopeful they'll eventually come up with something that enough of Council can support, even if it does block views of the Sooke Hills. It does seem a long time since there were any updates. Perhaps it's time to contact Charlotte Wain and see what the official word is from the City.

• Janion Fan likes this

#1430 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:03 PM

Is that the hold-up?

The tent town is the holdup but once they leave in a few months and the land is remediated...

#1431 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:51 PM

The tent town is the holdup...

Seems unlikely, since Reeson Park isn't part of the NJ project.

#1432 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

I thought the project was on hold until the bridge project, or at least the parts adjacent to this one, were done? Why would they be in a big hurry to add more chaos to the area when they could wait a bit?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1433 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:59 AM

^ That's fair, but wouldn't they continue forward with the design/planning/approval process?

• Nparker, tedward and Janion Fan like this

#1434 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:24 AM

...wouldn't they continue forward with the design/planning/approval process?

Agreed. Although construction might not be able to begin until the JSB is finished (assuming that ever happens), there is no good reason to delay the approval process. This project should be "shovel ready" the instant the first car travels over the completed bridge.

• DavidSchell likes this

#1435 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

Revised rezoning now submitted........

https://www.dropbox....-Print.pdf?dl=0

#1436 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

Nice new metal doors installed Friday. Wonder why ?

#1437 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

They seem to have been beefing up the security lately, probably due to the action in the park.

The front doors have been open a few times in the past couple of weeks. It appears they have installed extra lighting and security cameras.

#1438 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

Revised rezoning now submitted........

I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just giving my honest opinion here, but the latest version is shockingly disappointing. I would hate to see something like that go up on this site. It's all wrong. I'd say even the very first version from 2010 was superior. The refined versions from 2012-2016 were absolutely fantastic. I'm not kidding, I would happily chip in some of my own money to roll things back to any one of those versions, including the mini-tower version.

Edited by aastra, 14 August 2017 - 09:32 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1439 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:10 PM

. I'm not kidding, I would happily chip in some of my own money to roll things back to any one of those versions, including the mini-tower version.

I will match what you don't put in.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#1440 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

I'm afraid I have to side with with aastra and Bingo. This is the least appealing design so far. Is this what happens in Victoria? Developers get so tired of the endless process with city hall that they give up on trying to make an innovative project and just submit what they feel will get approved with as little pushback as possible? This is the Crystal Court site all over again.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users