General Heritage Discussion

• Please log in to reply
720 replies to this topic

#301 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:56 AM

We've shown countless examples over the years of modern architecture mixed in with historic architecture.

Here's some more from Halifax. In fact they way they deal with their modern buildings while restoring heritage should be a source of inspiration for Victoria. Instead these sorts of examples are erased from the narrative (nuh-uh, doesn't happen, can't happen, Paris Paris, Victoria is a gem, Paris Paris, Sovereign is bad, Paris Paris...).

We've got this co-hort of individuals who are currently in position of power who latched on the heritage preservation bandwagon several decades back who did some really great stuff, but they've taken the praise for their efforts to mean they can now dictate the urban fabric as they deem fit. They feel entitled to tell us what the future should be, because they spent some time saving some buildings. It's time to pass the torch, but darned it, they won't go down without a multi-decade long fight.

Halifax-1.jpg

Halifax-2.jpg

Halifax-3.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#302 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:14 AM

This pic is a great example of how to mix old and new without being self-conscious about it. All eras can work well together, you don't need to strain to present one particular era as the favourite. Preserved historic buildings will represent themselves and their periods. (In Victoria no era really is the favourite, of course, but some people like to oversimplify things and act as if "old" buildings should always physically and stylistically dominate new buildings, even if the "old" category is so broad as to include pretty much everything from 1860 right through to 1980 or thereabouts.)

post-3-0-53515000-1464890092.jpg

• Barra likes this

#303 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:41 PM

Here's a preview of one of those unseen photos of old town. I hope we will be able to share the whole set soon.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

• Nparker and Jill like this

#304 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

I happen to be cruising through Revelstoke today and was impressed with the condition of their 1939 City Hall.

IMG_0705.JPG

Here is a bit of the story.

http://www.historicp...u.aspx?id=11782

• Mike K., Mr Cook Street and johnk like this

#305 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:27 AM

It’s an exciting feeling walking into the Union Club of B.C.’s historic building on the corner of Humboldt and Gordon streets.

From the outside, its beige columns and brick exterior stand tall, while its high arched windows offer a glimpse into life as a member of the club.

Inside, it’s like stepping back into the early 1900s. Green curtains line the grand windows, matching the green couches and the red, green and floral carpet. Mahogany panelling line the entrance to one of the many rooms in the 15,000-square-foot building.

Local artists’ work can also be found hanging in the walls of many of the rooms.

Now, the club’s building has gained national historic site status.

The Union Club of B.C. was founded in 1879 by Sir Matthew Ballie Begbie in opposition to a movement for Vancouver Island to separate from British Columbia. Originally the club was located above a butcher shop at the corner of Government and Yates streets, and was an all-male club for businessmen, professionals, judiciary, government bureaucrats and newspaper owners.

http://www.vicnews.c.../390510131.html

#306 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:27 AM

$200,000 restoration underway at Cole Island's naval munitions depots

http://victoria.citi...nitions-depots/

Two of Cole Island’s historic naval munitions depots are slated for a $200,000 remediation, Citified has learned.

Situated on a small islet in Esquimalt Harbour, a total of five buildings consisting of storage facilities, ammo sheds and a marine guard quarters are the surviving remnants of what was once a collection of sixteen naval structures.

Constructed in the 1850’s, Cole Island and its remaining artefacts were recognized as a National Historic Site in 2006. It was then that remediation efforts began with a focus on overall sight cleanup, the installation of a general purpose dock and a long overdue initial restoration. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#307 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

Never noticed that island. Is it public? Can you dock a boat/kayak there?

#308 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:26 AM

Never noticed that island. Is it public? Can you dock a boat/kayak there?

Yup.

Cole Island is a National Historic Site. The buildings you see are the remains of the Royal Navy’s ammunition depot dating back to 1859. These spectacular brick structures drop right into the water and make for some great photo opportunities.  Cole Island is now cared for by the Friends of Cole Island Society under the auspices of the Provincial Heritage Branch.  The FoCIS have installed a dock making access to the island much easier and visitors are welcome from sun-up until sun-down.

http://oceanriver.co...to-cole-island/

• thundergun likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#309 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:38 AM

Should 50-year-old Centennial Square be turned into a childrens play ground?

Victoria councillors could soon be considering whether to protect the 50-year-old fountain in Centennial Square as a heritage feature or replace it with a children’s spray park.

Councillors have asked staff for a report on the implications of historical designation of the fountain, complete with a statement of significance.

That is to be done in the context of other possible improvements for the square.

The discussions came as city staff recommended $40,000 worth of maintenance and improvements to the fountain.

“The city should look at creating a children’s play feature with a water feature and that should be a fairly robust examination of what the square can look like and what the centrepiece can be,” Coun. Ben Isitt said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.VCRMk9Mt.dpuf

IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG

#310 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:41 AM

Or is this not about heritage at all, but as a way to keep out the tenters and others, similar to creating a playground at the Courthouse Grounds?

#311 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,236 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:51 AM

I really don't see kids using a spray park here. Location is all wrong.

• DavidSchell likes this

#312 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:52 AM

KIDS??? 

#313 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:55 AM

Totally agree ... something are best left alone and this square/fountain is one of them. 

There will be a kids inner city play ground just up the street at Hudson Walk and Uptown already has a spray park. 

Once again BEN has it WRONG!

• rjag and Nostalgic Victoria like this

#314 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:56 AM

...Once again BEN has it WRONG!

:D

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#315 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

Totally agree ... something are best left alone and this square/fountain is one of them. 

There will be a kids inner city play ground just up the street at Hudson Walk and Uptown already has a spray park. 

Once again BEN has it WRONG!

And the recently announced playground to be built at the courthouse lands.  Where are all these kids coming from, the outskirts?.

#316 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:31 PM

while i agree this town needs more water parks for kids the Centennial square park is not the right place for one.. if they want to draw more families with kids in create art structures kids can play on (a playground that is not an obvious playground)

to be honest if there was a water park at centennial square i probably wouldn't bring my child there and i do spent a large part of my summer at the water parks/lakes/beaches with my kid

#317 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:11 PM

The entire civic district in Victoria needs to be bulldozed. City Hall is collapsing in on itself (literally), the parkade is an eyesore and the strip mall retail spaces along Douglas need to go. The square should be ripped up and redesigned by people who know what they're doing.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

Know it all.

#318 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:17 PM

$200,000 restoration underway at Cole Island's naval munitions depots

http://victoria.citi...nitions-depots/

Two of Cole Island’s historic naval munitions depots are slated for a $200,000 remediation, Citified has learned.

Situated on a small islet in Esquimalt Harbour, a total of five buildings consisting of storage facilities, ammo sheds and a marine guard quarters are the surviving remnants of what was once a collection of sixteen naval structures.

Constructed in the 1850’s, Cole Island and its remaining artefacts were recognized as a National Historic Site in 2006. It was then that remediation efforts began with a focus on overall sight cleanup, the installation of a general purpose dock and a long overdue initial restoration. [Full article]

My grandfather used to be on Cole.....a letter he sent home........

Esquimalt, Naval Yards

Sept 27, 1915

Dear Folks:-

Received a letter from you last Friday but was so busy I could not get time to answer it till tonight.  We are back in Barracks from Cole Island.  The Shearwater and one submarine are in Vancouver and they have moved us into the lower deck in the barracks in their place which gives us more room to eat and sleep and closer to the baths and washing places with hot water to wash our clothes in. 

It’s 9 oclock or 2 bells and I’m sitting on the Mess table writing.  Everybody is either singing or whistling and you have to shout to hear yourself talk.

On our last Patrol March, we did 27 miles.  Left here at 8:00 and got back at 7:30.  Everybody was nearly all in.  The dust was 6 inches deep and it was awful hot and dry.  We carried a blanket, rifle, sidearms and full kit weighing altogether 40 lbs.

#319 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:16 AM

Wow! Thanks for that.

Know it all.

#320 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,236 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:10 AM

Sept 27, 1915 had 6" deep dust, hot and dry in southern Vancouver Island??

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users